Camping at Bungle Bungles

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 10:51
ThreadID: 22283 Views:7611 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,
I have been led to belive that there is two camping options once arriving at the Bungle Bungles. Am I correct in believing that one is another 1.5 hours drive once arriving at the ranger station. We will be staying for a couple of days and we were wondering what the best camp ground to stay at would be.
Cheers,
Indy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:42

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:42
G'day Indy

Info from Priceless Campsites. I haven't got there yet, it's still on the list to do.

From the Great Northern Highway to the Bungle Bungle Ranger Station is 52km of extremely rough and slow track which you should allow 2 to 3 hours to travel.
Walardi Camping area is 11 kms from the rangers station (south) and is in the vacinity of the airstrip/helipad, Piccaninny Gorge, Cathedral Gorge and the Bellburn
Creek camping area for tour operators.
Kurrajong camping area is 5kms from the rangers station (north) in the vacinity of Walanginjdji look out, Froghole, Mini Palms and Echidna Chasm.
Apparently both camps have a generator - non generator areas.
I work with a guy who used to do tours into the Bungles and from what I have gleaned from him I believe the Kurrajong camp area has less noise and activity although both camps get pretty full during the season. Either way to see all the park you will have to travel to both camps anyway.
Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers
Wal
AnswerID: 107800

Reply By: age - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 14:11

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 14:11
What part of the season are you going ? We went in latish (late August) and it was the driest, dusty, miserable camp we had in the whole trip. The road in is very slow, nothing difficult, but slow. If I ever did it again, I would spend the money on a helicopter flight instead of burning all that fuel from travelling in and out in 1st gear for 6 hours.
AnswerID: 107816

Follow Up By: Coops (Kalgoorlie) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 20:37

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 20:37
I concur with it being the driest and dustiest camp site but we enjoyed it even still. After 4 days the showers at Kununurra were an absolute joy.
Preferred the drive in and camping there as opposed to the chopper flight but fortunate enough to have done both now.
Drive in gives you a real feel for the place and you can't imagine Cathedral Gorge until you've stood there
FollowupID: 364811

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:00

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:00
After you go past the rangers station you get to a T junction and the first campground is not far on your left. It gives you accces to walks in the north of the park such as echidna chasm and froghole walk. turn right and it is comes to the next campground which gives you access to the more traditional apperrng bungle bungle part odf the park. It is a rough slow drive between the 2 areas but I would have said more like 45min 1 hour it both areas have their attractions and perhaps a stay at each campground might be the go
AnswerID: 107833

Reply By: ian - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:05

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:05
Indy,
stayed at Walardi last June/July.
The rangers send you to their choice of camp, and seem to use Walardi as an overflow.

We liked it.
Plenty of shade. large sites, separated from other campers. Plenty of water in the taps for water fights.
The river is dry, but it makes a good walk. It gets bloody hot by September.

Up to now they have supplied fire-wood like they do at Windjana and Silent Grove, but those days are almost over. Bring your own fire-wood or ring them first to check.

Neither camp matters with regard to sightseeing.

I think you have to go in once, but maybe next time I will fly over and give the road a miss. Most of the time you won't get in without a full size (truck) 4x4.

Ian
AnswerID: 107836

Reply By: tessa_51 - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:03

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:03
Hi Indy
I agree with most of what has been said above. The road in is definitely 4wd and can take up to 3 hours each way. I was unfortunate enough to strike a b.....y semi trailer coming the other way when I was coming out last year. He was delivering a shipping container to the ranger station - God knows what was in it. But he had done a great job of destroying the road. Broken trees everywhere, creek crossings dug out and all sorts of general destruction. But, the place is a must see. The bushwalking is fabulous. We did all the major walks and it took us 2 full days. We stayed at Wallardi and did the walks at that end of the park on the first day. Then drove down to the other end of the park the next day and did the walks there. Took about an hour to get to the other end. The rangers do a reasonable job of maintaining the internal roads but they told us that they deliberately allow the access road to degenerate to restrict the number of visitors. They don't have the staff or the facilities to cater for the hordes who would arrive if the access was better. Camper Trailers are welcome but they have been known to turn caravans around and not let them in even if they manage to get there.
Tessa
AnswerID: 107922

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:18

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:18
We went to Walardi then turned back and went to Kurrajong mainly because at Kurrajong you have marvelous sunsets along the Range. You need to walk up the small hill; take a blanket to sit on, a beer, and some nibbles and enjoy the rock face glow when hit by that setting sun.
AnswerID: 107924

Reply By: greydemon - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:31

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:31
I remember being told that it would take two hours to drive in and I didn't believe it because it is not far. Sure enough it took exactly two hours - that taught me not to be a smarta-rse! The road is OK but very twisty with lots of blind ridges where you just can't see who might be approaching so have to go really slow. Having the UHF on channel 13 helped, but the guy coming towards you might not have one!

We stayed at Kurrajong and it was fine in July. As usual we had a load of wood with us but had to dump it at the highway because the signs there said that you can't take it in to avoid spreading pests/disease - this rule may have changed, check with the Ranger.

I remember a great meal of barbecued trout (thanks Engel) washed down with wine watching the late afternoon sun on the Bungles - you don't get that from a helicopter flight. Make the effort, go there, it is worth it.
AnswerID: 107940

Reply By: Indy - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:31
Thanks everyone for you responses. I have got a lot of info. helping us make a decision.
Cheers,
Indy
AnswerID: 108208

Reply By: Member - James B (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:12

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:12
Hi all,

I am about to head off to the Bungle Bungles myself.

I rang the Halls Creek Tourist centre today (26th April 05) - and was told that the camp ground at Walardi is CLOSED until atleast mid-may 2005 - due to construction works being done at the nearby airstrip.

Therefore, I was told the only camping available in the Bungle Bungles until Walardi re-opens, is the Kurrajong camp.

I asked the lady on the phone what is the capacity of these camp grounds (because they are now trying to fit 2 campgrounds worth of tourists into 1) - but she didn't know.

So...my question to anyone who has been there before, is what are the sizes of these camp grounds? I know it's hard to give an exact answer - but from what you've seen do they have un-limited areas for you to camp? Or is it restricted to say 20 marked sites only etc?

Also, what generally happens if you dont have a tent to leave behind and mark your site?

We would be arriving there in a 4WD campervan early morning, but then going for the day to explore! So how do you "reserve" your campsite?

Any help appreciated.

James
AnswerID: 108297

Sponsored Links