Coleman Classic Tent

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 11:37
ThreadID: 22284 Views:5425 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experiences with this tent? I saw one at the recent RoseHill Caravan/Camping/4WD show and they look Ok. It seemed to be able to be packed into a smallish bag

Don't like the Touring Tents - too big and bulky.

OZtent RV 4 is a bit of a worry with the slanting headroom, plus the actual length of the tent when folded for travelling.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:03

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:03
DaveB

Can't comment on the Coleman Classic Tent.

The Oztent RV4, absolutely brilliant.
True that they are bulky to carry and they really need to be carried on a roof rack.They are 2 metres long in the bag and around 22 kilos.
I'm 5'9" and have no problems with the roof height/slope of the tent.
I was fairly sceptical of the claims about them before I got mine but they really are an absolute piece of *iss to erect and put away.
The quality and awning are good. The folding mechanism is reasonably strong and I haven't had any problems with it.
No I don't work for Oztent.
Just my two bobs worth.

Cheers
Wal.
AnswerID: 107801

Follow Up By: Member - Jack - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 20:00

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 20:00
Gotta agree with you - I have just taken delivery of my new RV4. Love the peaked awning for headroom. Also got all the side panels (sides and front) and it is like a palace.

This was my second Oztent, and I love 'em. I bought a tradesman's rack to cart it around, and SWMBO just shouted me an "Ozpod" to save my tricky back, so it's a real "bells and whistles" affair.

Cheers
Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 364741

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:22

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:22
Is that the tent with two side poles for around $600??
If so I have an old Canvas tent I picked up for $100 outta the Quokka (trading post) that is a very similar configuration to that. I absolutally love it. The ol' Dome is gathering thick layers of dust nowa days.
Very easy to put up, packs away well and is quite rigid in wind.
No centre pole, all the advantages of a light canvas and up and down in 5 minutes each way including pegs.
If it's the one I'm thinking of I reckon it'd be the way to go.
AnswerID: 107803

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 13:25

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 13:25
I have the original Classic tent - bought 1982 - I still use it as I am unable to find another tent as good. One of the reasons I bought my tent was its light weight - about half the weight of similar size tents back then. It is easy to erect and there is no centre pole.

The new model is not as good as mine but still looks good.
AnswerID: 107807

Reply By: Member - Ross P (NSW) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 14:10

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 14:10
I have a Coleman Clasic tent. The one with the two side poles and the pole across the top to tension the roof.
In the main it has been perfect for what we wanted.
Features we are :- No centre pole and the almost vertical walls mean you can stand up easily - plenty of room for the queen size blow up matress and bags etc.. Side windows can be open and closed from the inside. The rear window "gusset" arrangement allows it to be open but with complete privacy and shelter from the rain.
First time I used it at Cooktown I broke the roof pole but was able top buy a pice of SS tube and fixed the problem. Did the same again at Weipa, bought another piece of SS tube and all was well. Finally figured out what I was doing wrong and the instructions make no mention of it.
If you try to erect the tent without the windows and door unzipped the vacuum created in the tent puts to much weight on the cross piece.
I have had no problem since. I now ensure that the windows and doors are open before I try to erect the side poles
AnswerID: 107815

Sponsored Links