Subaru Forester for Kimberly Trip

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:52
ThreadID: 22291 Views:6451 Replies:9 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Could have knocked me over with a feather. Dad (who drives the Forester Turbo) said he has been thinking about driving to the Kimberlys for a 3 month trip. This from the man that keeps hinting I am getting a little obsessed with this 4wding and camping stuff.

Seriously any comments on abilities of the Forester as a trip vehicle will be appreciated. he will stick to the main routes and not venture "bush". He agrees he will need a fridge, tent or swag, and other essential stuff. Will be travelling alone. Anything he would need to do to the Forester?

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike Harding - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:59

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:59
If his Forester has low range - I would say it will be perfectly OK. If it doesn't then he'll need to be a bit more selective regarding his route. Nothing wrong with the Forester.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 107845

Reply By: bigmal - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:26

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:26
I am keen to know what people think. I am getting into 4WDing a bit with a forester XT (turbo without the low range.) I know the error of my ways now and looking forward to the end of lease to get a proper 4WD. NEw cruiser in 07 is a long way off. Taking four week off work to see how far we can get in SA and NT. Maybe do a couple of the tracks in SA etc... We are going with a prado so hopefully that should help. Fitted the sump plate this morning.
AnswerID: 107847

Reply By: V8Diesel - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:26

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:26
I saw a Subaru Forrester on the Mundaring Powerline track last weekend, being driven by a Granny! Made a few jaws drop. Both the car and driver were managing it no problems at all.

They are obviously a capable vehicle provided they're driven within their limitations and using common sense. Subaru make very good stuff.

Half his luck!
AnswerID: 107848

Follow Up By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:03

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:03
Yep I have seen a Forrester driving down the beach at Maud’s landing out of coral bay the Jeep it was with got bogged down for a bit but the roo was doing it no prob’s made us look twice.
FollowupID: 364724

Reply By: MAVERICK(WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:49

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:49
had a forester out doing training last weekend - within its limitations worked a treat. what to do - get rid of the plastic guard under the sump and replace with ally - fit LT tyres and maybe get an extra spare up on the roof - take one of those battery jumper things for when the fridge flattens the battery - 3 man tent $40 from kmart - swag $150 from anywhere - enjoy - have good time - take the time to see and experience. rgds
Slow down and relax......

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107866

Follow Up By: Footloose - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:52

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:52
I'd buy a bigger tent :) He's off for 3 months and not a young bloke. 3 man tents can get to be a bit small in heat and humidity.
Spent a week in Weipa in one once, never again. Now I have a big tent that I can live in if necessary.
FollowupID: 364737

Reply By: MarkTheShark - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:07

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:07
Plenty of old 2WD sedans getting around in the outback. I did it years ago in a Commodore. Got bogged a couple of times - no drama. As long as he avoids driving on wet roads or sand and he doesn't try to rockhop he will be fine, and comfortable! His ground clearance will be more than adequate on all main roads and most tracks. A set of AT tyres would be a good investment. Don't get put off by those reckon you need an Leopard tank to get anywhere.
AnswerID: 107868

Reply By: Utemad - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:19

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:19
My friend's parents crossed the Simpson in a Forester a few years ago. Had problems with sand getting in the clutch housing though. They were with a group of more capable vehicles.

They traded it on a Prado when they got home though.
AnswerID: 107872

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 02:03

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 02:03
No worries at all to do most of the good stuff eg grr includind winjanna gorge tunnel creek but some of the sidetracks to the gorges could be off limits including Mitchel falls. Travelling alone shouldnt be a problem as long as he doesnt try getting extreme as there are plenty of people in the "outback" these days
AnswerID: 107919

Follow Up By: greydemon - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:20

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 12:20
I would have thought that if a Forester can handle the Mundaring Powerline track then the road to Mitchell Falls shouldn't be a problem. From memory the only tricky spots would be crossing the King Edward river, and a section of soft stuff about half way from the river to the Falls, this was only about 100-200 metres when I was there.
For the river walk it first - I hit a deep pothole and wore a wave over my windscreen but otherwise it was quite shallow. Camp at King Edward River and ask around to see if anyone else is going to the Falls, set off half an hour before them so that they don't wear your dust but so you know that someone is behind. These are only precautions - I don't actually think you will have a problem.

I wish I was going too!
FollowupID: 364786

Reply By: Member Colin - NSW Bungendore - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 23:40

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 23:40
Go the Forester !!

The car shouldn't have any trouble - amazing what ableepload of power can get you through !! - although an auto is a lot better.

The only things I would look at are a sump guard - not fitted to Subaru's any more ?
and some decent tyres - the standard ones are garbage.

Good luck
AnswerID: 107978

Reply By: Andy C - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:37

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 11:37
Gazza

Did the Gunbarrel in a 99 GT Forester (auto - no low), Perth to Alice and return via the Great Central Road in Sept 2003.

Didn't miss a beat! I did get the suspension upgraded after a trial run fully loaded saw the standard shocks and springs were either past it or not up to it! Talk about sag!

Had ARB fit some recovery points to the front so the Jeep I was in company with could get us out of anything. Never used them but great to have that insurance.

The yokohamas really let us down and had to buy 2 new LTs for the back in Alice. They still look brand new so suggest you look into that.

We carried 3.5 jerries in a basket on HD Rhino roof bars without a problem but made sure we secured the basket with three stainless hose clamps front and back (leather around the bars and basket first to reduce damage to bars, basket and clamps) instead of the light duty fixings they came with. Just checked the fittings each morning and tightened them when needed.

Yes the plastic cover under the sump is anything than robust yet I didn't get a metal one fabricated - and it's still there! (well the second one is after a previous trip in sand tore it off - probably going to fast!).

Prepare well, drive to the conditions and you'll have a ball in the Kimberlys.
AnswerID: 110280

Sponsored Links