Sleeping bags and bedding generally

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:28
ThreadID: 22293 Views:3639 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve never been a big fan of sleeping bags; too restrictive for a restless sleeper like me, cold spots, generally uncomfortable, too hot in warm weather, too cold in cold weather – a good sheet and quilt (plus blankets if necessary) on my excellent self inflating mattress was my bedding… until… yes… wait for it… :) I discovered “Outer Limits, Traveller, Jumbo 302”
http://www.grangerscampingworld.com.au/
Click “Bedding / Sleeping bags” then it’s about two thirds of the way down the page.

I am now a convert to sleeping bags :) This is a minus 5deg C bag and cost $125. I have used it in conditions of +2C and found it excellent – didn’t need the extra blanket I had brought “just in case”. I have also used it on a warm night, about +13C and by just opening the zip 6 or 12” was able to obtain a comfortable temperature. And, although I’m a biggish chap, I have plenty of room in this bag. I’m looking forward to trying it in sub zero temperatures in the Vic High Country over the next few months.

My only concern is what will I do when (if?) I find another partner – two sleeping bags? Nah. I’m a bit tactile and like to touch – going to be a difficult choice :)

Mike Harding
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:38

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:38
Maybe time to keep your hands to yourself. LOL
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107861

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:44

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:44
Did I mention hands?

Mike Harding :)
FollowupID: 364736

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:39

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:39
It's good when we find something that works for us. I run 3 bags, being a hot sleeper, I need to be careful that I regulate them properly.

As a swag sleeper, (always), I have often contemplated using sheets & doona, but stopped, when I tried to stuff it all in my swag, whereas the sleeping bag, just slides right in!

I too am a tactile beast, must be a guy thing.... dreaming of spiders & stuff....

Wolfie
AnswerID: 107863

Follow Up By: turbopete - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:47

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:47
wow spiders thats real kinky have u got a video of u and a spider doing
FollowupID: 364729

Follow Up By: Lone Wolf - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:50

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:50
I like this guy!!!
FollowupID: 364731

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:11

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:11
Mike, the missus and I use a -5c Black Wolf Left + Right Sleeping bag. It can be unzipped on one side and used like a big duner. (good for hotter weather) or joined together to form one BIG sleeping bag for colder weather while away together, or we can seperate them into two smaller sleeping bags (for when I sleep on the couch after buying more camping/4wd toys) :-)))

I reckon they are fantastic.
AnswerID: 107869

Follow Up By: Mike Harding - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:52

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 19:52
Thanks for that Jeff. I actually followed my own link (above) and discovered that 2 of these bags will zip together - so perhaps I'll buy another bag and then look for another bag (with apologies to my Ex. :)

Mike Harding
FollowupID: 364738

Follow Up By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:20

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 07:20
Variety being the spice of life so they say, we have sleeping bags that zip together with a thick foam mattress and/or pump up mattress which fit in the Troopy if required. We also have a very warm king size feather doona, and feather sleeping bag and stretchers and self inflating mattresses. We have been very pleased with the stretchers except for the tactile area ;). We seem warmer off the ground and can put gear under them. They are seats to sit and eat on if the insects are exceptionally bad.

I am contemplating a bag for the doona and was interested to see Wolfies article on the tough ones he has found they might save me cranking up the sewing machine. Keep on being optimistic Mike. LOL.

Carolyn
FollowupID: 364772

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 00:51

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 00:51
Interestingly if you talk to the guys at Darche in Shepparton who make the best swags I have found yet, they don't recommend down bags or doonas in swags.

Apparently down gear relies on loft (airspace) to provide warmth. Anywhere the down is compressed between body and swag you apparently get cold spots.

They reckon this is far less likely with a poly bag.

David at Darche reckons bugger the sleeping bag, go the doona & sheet. I've never tried it. Might be worth investigating after I get back from the CSR. I don't want to take two lots of bedding out there and only use one if I don't like the other, so for the moment I'll go with what I know works. I'll post the results when I do the comparison in a few months.

Dave
AnswerID: 107916

Sponsored Links