Permits in Ahnhem Land

Submitted: Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 22:30
ThreadID: 22302 Views:1785 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone driven east from Coburg Peninsula to Gove in the last 3 years? Northern Land Council won't give me any permits for this area or any other area of Arnhem land, and I'd like to know if anyone has gotten a permit through the under a media/photographic pass or any thing like that? Also has anyone driven from Roper Bar to Gove traveling north east under the same circumstances stated above?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Rambler - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 00:37

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 00:37
A few years back I also tried to get permits for Coburg to Gove but was told that it is vertually impossible as there are too many different tribes with their own set of rules sio you probably would have to end up with several permits---much too hard for the Northern L.Council.Personly I was very dissapointed in the Coburg trip as far too many regulations but I thought the trip to Gove and surrounding area was great.I have been as far as Roper Bar but not any further North East.
Good luck!!
AnswerID: 107912

Reply By: bob2 - Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 21:07

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 21:07
Two years ago we travelled from Katherine via Bullman, Maningrida and Oenpelli. We applied for a permit 6 months before our travel and still didn't have it when we got to Katherine. We spent half a day at the NLC in Katherine and finally got a permit. Called in at the Bullman store and set up a camp after dark with a fire at the road junction 100km north of Bullman. During the evening two groups of locals passed. We were not asked for our permit during the 2 day trip. As usual it was very frustrating.
AnswerID: 107964

Reply By: boshie - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:33

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:33
We were told that they were not opening those roads to travellers at all any more with no exceptions . we were very dissappointed as we had planed to do a trip through the area but due to circumstances we had not done it. But this year we are leaving on the 1st of july for three months, finally being able to go. but being refused entry to those roads . So we don't know wether to go into gove & out on the same road. wether it would be worth the trip . If anybody has any idea's
I would appreciate it
Boshie
AnswerID: 108188

Sponsored Links