One dead cell on battery.

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2233 Views:2460 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all.
About 2 years ago I replaced my 2 batteries on my Troopie with the second battery being a Deep Cycle USA made. I think it is called a Gold Top. In under 6 months I had it replaced with a new one under warranty as it was not holding a charge.......Now about 18 months further down the track I found out by accident that the replacement battery (same brand as before) has one complete dead cell and out of warranty). Doesn't say much for that brand of battery. At $160 plus replacement it is an expensive exercise. Never again with that brand though.
Due to my finances that will have to wait. My question is does anyone know, or is there a way of putting some life into that dead Cell to give me some breathing time until I can replace it.
Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
Janset,Just for my curiosity which cell is it. A count from the + terminal will suffice please. ie. the first cell of 3rd cell etc.Also what dual battery charging system are you using (starter solonoid or brand name device).Thanks David
AnswerID: 7921

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
Hi David, a correction. It is a Motolite Deep cycle Gold series, I think a 109 Amp Hr and the cell that is dead is the one right under the Positive (+) post. The charging system is via a solenoid. This is the second vehicle that I have had using the solenoid setup and in the past all have served me well...... I telephoned the state distributors (Supercharge Batteries) this morning and spoke to the state manager and explained that this is the second battery in 2 years. The first one was replaced after 5 months as it just did not hold the charge and now this one has died within 18 months. It could have been earlier but without my knowledge as I had no need to test it with a hydrometre...... The response was words to the effect,"I don't know what you are complaining about considering you have had 2 batteries in 2 years and only paid for one, what more do you want"?.........When I told him that my previous battery was a Century and Besco (can't remember) and slightly smaller capacity and I got 6 years of heavy use from it on my on then boat he said that he can only operate within established guidelines but added,"if I wanted to, I could present my vehicle to them and they would check out my existing batteries FREE OF CHARGE! Big deal!
I even offered to exchange my dud battery for a second hand one if they hand one...This fell on deaf ears............They have lost my business.
FollowupID: 3672

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
Most battery manufacturers recommend never flattening batteries beyond 50% if you want maximum life.

The biggest cause of battery failure is sulphation, which is a symptom of undercharging. There is a product called a Megapulse that claims to be able to reverse and/or prevent sulphation. Most solar places recommend these devices.

What most people don't realise is that an alternator can only charge a battery to around 70-80% of it's capacity, and a standard transformer charger might get it to 90%.

A decent 3 stage battery charger rated at 8 amps will cost more than $300 but if you rely on batteries then you will save more than that over the life of the charger by not having dead batteries.

If you regularly totally flatten your batteries then you need a 5 stage charger that has a soft start stage to prevent damaging your battery during initial recharge (the other extra stage is the equalisation stage), but these type of chargers are very expensive. Otherwise just don't flatten them as deeply or replace them regularly.
AnswerID: 8005

Sponsored Links