Navara 3.0 gearbox & turbo

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:40
ThreadID: 22339 Views:2770 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Is there a national problem with these?. My neighbour has a 2003 model and had to get the gearbox o/hauled at 80,000, mine is a 2002 and had to be done at 98,000 (just snuck in warranty). Any one else ?

I've been reading in a couple of 4x4 mags that some turbos are failing around 100k to 160k. Mine has oil coming from the rubber hose on the engine side of the turbo; does this indicate that the seals are leaking and should be looked at soon?.
Could the fact that with no turbo timer in the setup we aren't letting our turbos cool down slow enough?. thanks Rus.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bucky - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:58

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 07:58
Russel & Mary
I have the same problem ,, or is it ,,been told that if there is oil there, you shouldn't worry,, as it simply means that a little is getting into the turbo.

I don't think there is a need for a turbo timer, as hte turbo just starts coming in at 2500 revs approx ,, then in the last km , befor you stop let the motor wind down then ,, and if by chance that you have to pull up from any type of speed ,, then about 60 seconds should be enuf ,,,
I would be interested to hear from others,, to see if my attitude towards my car is good or bad ,,

Also ,, I took my Navara and had it put on a Dyno at 20,000 km ,, and it came out a different vehicle, I got sick of the Local Nissan Agent telling me that it was my method of driving,, Ii did not have the heart to tell him that that I have driven turbo poewred tip trucks for a living ,, I just went to a Reputible Dyno testing Garage ,, so I would not loose my Extended Warranty

Cheers Mate ,,and keep in touch
AnswerID: 108063

Follow Up By: mik*2 - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:53

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:53
what did they do to your car bucky? Interested to know, it maybe something i would consider for my Navara, although i'm happy with the performance at this stage.
I haven't heard of gearboxes going before, what was the problem? What about the turbo failure? What did they say happened there? More info please....

cheers
mike
FollowupID: 364915

Follow Up By: bucky - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 04:20

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 04:20
Russell & Mary
my Navara was put on a Dyno at 20k, and since then I have had not one bit of the dredded " Turbo Lag ", and it was very real in my car.

It would just die at various speeds,, when I tried accelerating, around town when and if I had to get away from turning left or right it would just die , that was embarrising.

Now she is just fine and it was the best $140, I have spent on the car so far, economy is still just over 10 km / lt ,( 9.5 lt / 100 km ) , and has terrific driveability.

I think the mechanic had advanced the injectors and reset the fuel pressure on the, but really, who cares, its terrific

I dont take the revs over 3000, there is no need to and in 484 driving situations, steep uphill in the bush, I keep the revs just over 1600 and never have a proble gettin ganywhere.
FollowupID: 364996

Reply By: Russel & Mary - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 14:26

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 14:26
Both my gearbox and my neighbors had an input shaft bearing failure. It didn't collapse completely but had very noticeable bearing rumble in all except 4th. Also the case hardening had worn off the idler shaft for 5th. When I got it repaired(for no cost at all for me) I asked how much warranty on it now. The head mechanic at the Nissan dealership said once the vehicle gets to 100,000 thats it no more warranty. I've since done about 12,000k with no probs. My engine still goes fine with no turbo problems but when you hear of others you start to think. Rus.
AnswerID: 108090

Sponsored Links