Patrol GU 3.0 Auto for beach towing?

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:17
ThreadID: 22344 Views:2397 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering a Nissan Patrol 3.0 auto for beach work towing a Jayco Outback Eagle. I want to be able to do both Moreton and Fraser Islands. The Jayco will load up to about 1400kg and will roll on 265 x 16 tyres. I suspect I might also need diff locks on the Patrol for tackling the soft sand on and off the beach and for tracks. Has anyone got any experience of this combination or helpful advice please?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: raazorj - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:48

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:48
Turbo the only way to go, good wide tyres let down to 18psi in soft stuff, will eliminate the need for diff locks the whole idea on the sand roll on top not dig in traction. Ray
AnswerID: 108081

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 15:48

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 15:48
having your tyres as high as 18psi win soft stuff will put alot of strain on things I have helped at least 2 guys struggling to tow with presures like that after I helped them out with a more appropriate 12-15 they had no worries
FollowupID: 364919

Reply By: Puddin & Gumnut (Sydney) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:42

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 13:42
We have a 3ltr auto & tow a kimberly kamper with no problems on sand as long as we lower tyre pressures to suit the conditions.

Bob
AnswerID: 108087

Reply By: Steerpike - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:47

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:47
jj- different vehicles, but similar issue and some hints. I have a '98 petrol Prado, auto and just bought a Windsor Rapid 14'6" caravan (about 1.6 tonnes loaded- single axle) last month. Have been going to Fraser for years, and decided to take the Rapid this Easter. Van runs 235 x 15's and Prado 265 x 16's. Lowered car to 18 psi and van to 20 psi.
No problems getting on and off the barge or through the soft bits on and off the beach. I chose to travel with the van at dead low tide, so had hard packed sand all the way. Have to say that there wasn't a lot of traction in reserve in the soft stuff, but no great issues.

HOWEVER, when I had to drive up the soft sand track (with deep wheel ruts) into the Cathedral Beach camping resort, I used low range but still ground to a halt. My Hayman Reese load levelling kit (spring bars and chains) was being towed about 6" deep in the sand in the middle of the track. I dug them out and removed them. I got a helpful push from a Troopy load of backpackers (who were stuck behind me), and got through OK. On the way out, I left the chains and bars off until I got down to the beach. As it was, the rest of the hitch was dragging deeply in the sand, but not enough to stop things.
Was at the Brisbane 4WD show yesterday and discussed it with the guy at the Hayman Reese stand. He agreed with my strategy. If I had to tow in deep sand, I'd consider using my old standard hitch which doesn't have all that "stuff" hanging down so low.
Regards!
AnswerID: 108123

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:33

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:33
JJ,
As mentioned somewhere else, lower the tyre pressures to 12 to 15 psi, don't forget to lower the trailer pressures as well, I had mine as low as 6 psi, make sure you can see a tread pattern in the sand when you move forward it's a good indication you've got the pressures right. When you lower the trailer tyre pressures make sure yur compressor can reach them to pump the tyres back up again, a lot of standard combinations won't reach, as I found out to my embarrassment (once). I've got a 3.0 ltr Turbo diesel, it's easy. Diff Locks forget it you won't need them, they can be down right bloody dangerous actually, I don't use them on the beach at all any more. If you fit those auto lockers you will have trouble, air lockers would be the best option you can disengage them completely. My experiences and opinions as always, sorry to any offended.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 108135

Follow Up By: Lyds - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:01

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:01
Martyn, what did you do to fix your reach problem?
FollowupID: 364973

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:04

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:04
Another question for martyn. How do you find the fuel economy with that short roof rack. I've been pondering one for a while, but my mate recons they affect fuel too much, plus I find them a little expensive, but am thinking about one anyway.
FollowupID: 364975

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 15:25

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 15:25
Hi Lyds,

Struck the same problem and bought an extension (same length as the original X 2). I have an ARB unit and they sell ready made one's but I guess you could easily make one up.

Damn annoying when you pull up for the first time and realise that the hose length doesn't get you to the trailer and the que at the service station is 20 deep.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 365041

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:36

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:36
People,
In response to the questions, the short roof rack didn't make that much difference to the economy, not that noticeable, noise wasn't an issues either really. I tale the rack off as soon as I get home I hate them, plus I have a great fear of forgetting it and ripping the gutter mounts off. I only went for the half rack to restrict myself as to how much you put on the roof, it's to easy to overload, if there's space you'll fill it. The BushRanger rack sack worked a treat as well, no dust and easy to load and unload, great invention.
The reach issue, initially I had to take the trailer off and drive into a position that I could reach, soon as I got home I went to a local hose joint, got the ends taken off the ARB hose and put them onto a length of hose that would reach all the tyres, didn't really want to pay the price for another complete new hose. I got a better quality hose that didn't fly off the fitting when worked really hard, killed lots of birds with one stone.
My opinions and views as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 365082

Sponsored Links