Travel Budget

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 16:40
ThreadID: 22349 Views:2500 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, Can any one direct me to info about how much $ should I allow per day of travel? For most of the Dry region of Australia. Car and trailer camping (all expenses Fuel, food, caravan park 2 nights per week) free camping the rest, Couple with two kids (8 & 10).
AND
The East coast, I suppose the east coast would be different? What is the Average O/N cost of a caravan park?

Micheal
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lone Wolf - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 17:16

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 17:16
I vaguely remember this coming up in the past, and it was for a couple going bush camping. Most of the costs were associated with fuel.

I think back then, it was around $100.00 @ day. Rest was camp fees, tucker, etc.

Wolfie
AnswerID: 108096

Reply By: WheelTravel - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:33

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 19:33
We have just done 3mths of travel in an 01 1hz cruiser. $100/day was skimpin it, and that was for just 2 of us. Yes, you could get by on it, but not comfortably.

We headed away with all the gear...solar panels,shower etc. But we still found we craved a non dirt floor.

Maybe you're better at putting up with dirt than us, but after 2 mths, somebody who NEVER thought they'd get sick of camping needed a house!

AnswerID: 108112

Follow Up By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:39

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:39
With wife and kids we tried to average 3 days camping and one night in a motel or similar. We did this for around a month at a time.

Travel costs USED to be around 100-150 a day including fuel, but these days who knows? Could be second morgage time soon just to fill the tank:((
FollowupID: 364942

Reply By: Wizard1 - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:10

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:10
How long is a peice of string?

It is like any budget. What I spend on a trip would be different to someone else.

It depends on a variety of factors ranging from:

Type of vehicle, whether it is petrol or deisel, average fuel consumption?
What are your food plans, do you intend to buy fresh and cook all the time or eat out?
Do you have a fridge, can you carry your own meat, etc?
Do you plan to visist somewhere that may have a fee?
The list goes on and on...

You need to make a list of your needs for a trip and do YOUR budget.

As an example we travellled for 2 weeks from down the centre and back and it cost us $1800 it may not cost you that much.

I would use one of the on line budget planners.

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 108201

Reply By: old-plodder - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:19

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 12:19
Round the $100.00 a day sounds about right. Depending on the miles you do.
Wouldn't go less.
We can spend that much in a day on fuel!
We try and do some milage then camp and look around.
If a short holiday of a couple of weeks or less than it might be $200.00 day with some milage.
We usually take 2 or 3 boxes of food with us so some days stationary free camping don't cost us anything.

AnswerID: 108230

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:07

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:07
No way can a family of 4 do an extended trip for $100 a day. That used to be a good rule of thumb before GST and fuel prices went through the roof but not now. We travel just as you do - car, campertrailer, 2 adults + 2 kids, mostly free bush camping with 2-3 nights per week in a CVP. We try not to spend too much on takeaways but occasionally we buy icecreams or have a counter meal somewhere. On a touring holiday which by definition means we're going to incur some fuel costs most days (even if just from sightseeing from a base camp) our guideline is around $120-$130 per day. Occasionally if money is tight (well tighter than usual) we can get away with less (say $100/day) if we put more emphasis on staying put in a series of base camps longer, driving less and take a substantial amount of our groceries and consumable items from home.

In my experience, buying takeaway food is a BIG budget killer so don't fall into the habit of buying something to eat or drink whenever you stop for fuel or are in town or your daily costs will really blow out. Also, if your weekly grocery bill at home is say $200/week, add another 25% when touring. Reason is that the fresh air and outdoor lifestyle seems to give everyones appetite a boost so they'll tend to eat more and when in the car the kids in particular will probably want to snack just for something to do. And don't forget to add extra again for booze. Even if you're not normally big drinkers (like us) you'll probably still enjoy a couple of beers or glasses of wine each evening as you watch the sun go down or are sitting by the campfire. In this case add another $30-$50 a week to your grocery bill (or more depending on what you drink).

Hope my comments are of some help.

:o) Melissa

AnswerID: 108239

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 16:59

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 16:59
Well I have been traveling for 6 months now and have C/T + 2 kids 8+ 10 No joke. We asked this 2 years ago & got the $100 /day rule. so we thought $200 week food + $200 week fuel + $200 week everything else but cant do it on that We are sitting on $750-$800 week + our morgage as we go. Thats why we are toping up the bank acc in Brizzie.
AnswerID: 108270

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 17:03

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 17:03
PS fuel (diesel) went from $1.00(vic) @ Christmas to $1.2 in NSW (in 2 months ) now $1.1 in QLD, So do you buy same $ & less Quantity or spend more to travel the same? only you can answer that one.
AnswerID: 108273

Reply By: old F - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:01

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 20:01
Try this site
http://www.justcruisin.bigpondhosting.com/
It contains a travel diary and expense spreadsheets that should be a help to you
AnswerID: 108459

Sponsored Links