Water tanks for Patrol 4.2TD

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2236 Views:2332 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have any experience with fitting water-tanks to a GU Patrol 4.2TD? I'm looking for storage of somewhere between 50 and 60 litres. Note: I have a cargo barrier fitted behind the passenger seats, and also Outback storage drawers fitted in the back.

A couple of companies claim to make these kind of things, but when speaking to people who actually fit these things, it would seem that in reality they are not that good. Any advise from people with actual experience would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
One good idea would be to go to your local Patrol club and see whta members there are using.

The Melbourne Nissan club meeting is next Wednesday.
The boys there love to show off their wares!

I have a GQ with rear storage, adn incorperated in that is a 60 ltr tank, with filler lid that you fill from the side of the car thru the side rear window, and then the tap to MT it, you open the rear doors and its just infront of you.
AnswerID: 7925

Reply By: Melissa - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Piers, Just a suggestion but no actual experience with them...what about the flexible water tanks that fit inside rear panels etc. Seen them at ARB. We have a GU also, so I'd be interested to hear what your ultimate solutions is. Melissa
AnswerID: 7935

Follow Up By: Piers - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
The guys at ARB I'm speaking to don't recommend these - in practical terms they're only 17 litres, fitted on the LHS rear quarter panel and cost $300 - $400 with fitting (a lot of money for less than one Jerry-can!). Plus apparently need to be filled from inside, with danger of spillage over all my stuff!

Engel have also released at 57 litre pressurised polythylene tank which looks perfect at $306 plus fitting - but alas there's not enough inbetween my fridge and the cargo barrier to fit this.

Looks like I might have to go for a custom solution....

Thanks for your thoughts anyway. Piers
FollowupID: 3726

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Piers, I have had a Floatpac bladder in the rear LHS quarter panel in my GU for about 2 years. It's good...no taste issues; easy to fit.. Gravity feed, which is fine. The hoseis about 750 mm long. This hose has a cheap, plastic in-line dripper tap(remember it has very low pressure), and is stored vertically on the panel, via two clips, on the inside of the top rear lights section. I think it's a 30 litre, but the recent specs on the 'net suggest that it's a 20 L. That reminds me to measure the input next time I fill! Cheers. Rick.
AnswerID: 7936

Reply By: John Sullivan - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Piers, I had a 60 lt stainless steel tank made up for my GQ wagon, fitted on the LHS in front of the rear axle, same position as aux feul tank, but different side. Ran an electric pump and hose up to LHS rear door. Filler in engine bay. Worked a treat. All up cost for tank about $400, pump another $100. Hope this helps. John
AnswerID: 7945

Now that sounds perfect. Who made and fitted this for you? $400 for a steel tank sounds out of this world. I'm also just wondering if there will be enough room underneath the GU (given I have a Long Range fuel tank plus the aux fitted)......
FollowupID: 3727

Follow Up By: Member - John - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
Piers, Maffra Sheet Metal in Maffra Vic. Should fit as I had long range tank and aux fitted. Not sure about arrangement in GU though. John
FollowupID: 3753

Reply By: Member - Kevin - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

I use a Floatpac 55 litre bladder which lays on the rear passenger floor. Filler is central and a bit of a pain to get to - I use a 20L jerry can and a siphon hose. Had the bladder for about 5-6 years now and no problems with taste or flow - it is gravity fed via a length of flexible hose with a tap on the end, just open the rear passenger door and water is on tap. I wrap the whole thing in an old blanket and then happily pile stuff on top of it - it is tough.

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 7960

The bladder is an option - except that I should imagine it makes it difficult for people to sit in the passenger seats?!

Many thanks to everyone for helping me out with this problem.

It strikes me that there may be a niche in the market for someone to develop some great water tank products....

Piers
FollowupID: 3728

Reply By: Stevo - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Piers, I have a stainless steel water tank of some 30 odd ltrs fitted above the muffler on my GU. Despite its location, an integral heatshield is very effective in keeping the contents cool. A tap is fitted flush with the bottom of the left hand chassis rail, the filler is located under a rear seat and the tank is vented in the engine bay. A very well engineered tank from around $500 fitted. Manufactured in WA and distributed by Opposit Lock.
AnswerID: 8057

Sponsored Links