polyair airbag suspension

Submitted: Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2239 Views:10513 Replies:7 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone have any experience with polyair airbag suspension on a Hilux Surf ? Does anyone know about how much it costs for instalation? Is the product easy to install yourself or is it best left to a mechanic ?

Also, what are peoples general feelings on this product?

Any help is appreciated.
Cheers, Jono.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Jono - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
PS...I have read Paul's question and the responses from a few days ago, so i guess i do know the general feeling for the product but the other questions are still valid.

thanks
AnswerID: 7950

Reply By: ray - Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Oct 28, 2002 at 01:00
Jono I have just priced the polyair airbags at $320+ fitting 1 hour. I also priced new springs from Kings springs about half the price and a better way to go. Last longer no air leaks ect.hope this helps Ray
AnswerID: 7962

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
Jono, I'm hearing bad reports at the moment - others may clarify with their own personal experiences. First hand, we've observed problems when people blow them up too hard for the conditions - resulting in upper and lower suspension towers being torn off the chasis! Saw this in the Simpson this year and then it happened to a pair of drivers on the CSR this season. So if you install them it seems that you better be sure how and when to adjust them.
AnswerID: 7971

Follow Up By: Ray - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Michelle.
I have polyairs fitted to a GU ute with a slideon camper, which all up weights 3.5 tonnes. We had thought of using heavier springs but they had problems as well. After checking with one of the better Nissan Dealers in Melbourne who service alot of Patrols and other 4WDs, the problem see md to be that the vehicles are way overloaded. If the poly airs are too hard or the springs are too heavy they stop the bump stops from engaging resulting in the towers being damaged. The polyairs on the Ute only have enough air in them to keep the back of the vehicle 25mm higher than the front to give balance and improve the steering. We are only running between 20-24 lbs.
Also Michelle, I wonder if the drivers were driving to the conditions. Over many years travelling, I have found driver abuse of the vehicle is the problem
Ray
FollowupID: 3731

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Ray, absolutely! Load and driver "skill" would definately come into it.
FollowupID: 3734

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Jono,

The question of polyairs recently came up on another group I'm in. Overall, the general concensus was that they are a good thing. We're going to install them in our GU Patrol, mainly to give extra lift when towing our campertrailer.

Installation seems to depend on your ability. Plenty say its dead easy but I know one bloke who stuffed it up and eventually had to get them professionally installed. I reckon we'll have a go ourselves though.

:-) Melissa
AnswerID: 7987

Reply By: Jono - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
thanks everyone...
i have gathered from my research both on this forum and other sites and dealers, that polyairs are a sound principal, however i reckon that people tend to pump them up harder than they should to compensate for their bad condition springs. The polyairs should definately not be a substitute to having good quality (and good condition) springs!

At this stage i'm leaning towards getting heavy duty springs and putting up with the harsher ride.

Cheers Jono.
AnswerID: 8060

Reply By: Rick - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Jono,
I have had Poly airs in a few vehicles, both 4wd & 2wd. While I agree it is how you use them that really matters, how they are installed is also important. Mates of mine got' em fitted after seeing/hearing my experiences, and had flat / punctured bags several times. This of course defeats the purpose.

But now I have gone to standard heavy duty TJM springs in my GU Patrol. I did not want to increase the height, but did want the bum to stop sagging,and this has worked well. Since then, I find I am carrying more water & fuel than ever.

So I have fitted No Bull Suspension supports. They add to the anti sag factor, and come into play by removing the OE bump stops. So the load is on the chassis rails, not the spring towers - gotta be stronger, eh? I reckon they will minimise body roll when laden, also. Worth a try at about $ 350. Fitted them myself; easy 1 hourjob.

The clincher was seeing the Hema maps GU in Darwin with them on, knowing that it weigehed about 3.5 t, and being aware that they have after market suspension AND the No Bull spports, but not PolyAirs.

Cheers

Rick
AnswerID: 8075

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Rick, are "no bull" supports put out by Pedders? Mal T.
FollowupID: 3819

Follow Up By: Rick - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Mal T
I don't think they are, but Ive been wrong before. I got mine at the Adelaide 4wd show. The manufacturer was on the Heaslip camper Trailer stand. I believe Heaslips use them now in preference to Poly Airs.
Cheers
Rick
FollowupID: 3824

Reply By: Mick n Sal - Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Nov 02, 2002 at 01:00
We've got a '90 model series 2 4Runner with polybags installed. They a a good addition if you plan to tow a boat or van, or plan to do a some long distance touring as they allow you to adjust the height of the rear of the vehicle to compensate for increased load. _HOWEVER_ Some things to consider on your vehicle - If you enjoy more serious offroading that requires serious articulation of your suspension - they will act like giant bumpstops and restrict compression ( when set to more than about 7psi ). If used to correct ride when loaded they also effect your rear brake proportioning valve which works off suspension compression. IE when your vehicle is more heavily loaded, it sits lower in the rear, so the valve puts more brake pressure to the to compensate for the payload. When you increase the pressure in the polybags, the rear end of the vehicle lifts back up based on the pressure applied, which returns the brake bias to a lighter loaded setting. These things are a good idea when used within the manufacturers advice - we love them, but keep the above in mind. If you want any more info please email me mickclements@austarnet.com.au
AnswerID: 8126

Sponsored Links