Bungle Bungles camping

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:21
ThreadID: 22393 Views:2421 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry for double posting this - just realised the thread I posted this in is a few pages back - and thought it may be helpful to others about to head off to the Bungles.
---------

Hi all,

I am about to head off to the Bungle Bungles myself.

I rang the Halls Creek Tourist centre today (26th April 05) - and was told that the camp ground at Walardi is CLOSED until atleast mid-may 2005 - due to construction works being done at the nearby airstrip.

Therefore, I was told the only camping available in the Bungle Bungles until Walardi re-opens, is the Kurrajong camp.

I asked the lady on the phone what is the capacity of these camp grounds (because they are now trying to fit 2 campgrounds worth of tourists into 1) - but she didn't know.

So...my question to anyone who has been there before, is what are the sizes of these camp grounds? I know it's hard to give an exact answer - but from what you've seen do they have un-limited areas for you to camp? Or is it restricted to say 20 marked sites only etc?

Also, what generally happens if you dont have a tent to leave behind and mark your site?

We would be arriving there in a 4WD campervan early morning, but then going for the day to explore! So how do you "reserve" your campsite?

Any help appreciated.

James
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lyds - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:34

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 21:34
Hi James,

If you're looking at mid May I guess you'll be leaving soon!

I seem to recall Kurrajong being quite large and fairly freeform; they had fenced communal fire places; but camping was open. There was also separate group/tour area with a separate entrance - didn't go there.

The thing in your favour is that you will be there early in the season, so it may not be that busy. I was there in late June 2003 and there was plenty of room then.

AnswerID: 108325

Reply By: tessa_51 - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:08

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:08
James
We were there in August last year. Kurrajong is a large area, probably capable of accommodating well over 100 campsites if everyone gives a little. There are no marked sites you just grab a bit of ground and set up camp. Plenty of communal bbq's and a few taps and toilets spread out over the area. There is a separate section for people with generators. As far as marking out your territory, most people just leave a couple of chairs and a table. I guess anything will do to indicate somebody is living there. If you are concerned that overcrowding will shrink your campsite why not just run a rope around and peg it down with some tent pegs.
Tessa
AnswerID: 108379

Sponsored Links