Dual Cab Hard Tonneau covers and canopies

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:17
ThreadID: 22399 Views:7967 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone any experience with the hard type tonneau covers or canopies on a dual cab such as a Navara, Hylux or Rodeo in their ability to keep out dust and rain. Do they have to be sealed if going bush.

Richard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:34

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:34
I have an ARB canopy on my dual cab Rodeo.

Does not let in one drop of water. However dust is another story. The dust comes in through the tailgate gaps. I just put old towels next to the gaps which keeps 99% of it out.

There are plenty of things available to try and prevent dust ingress from tailgate seals to cabin pressuriser thingys.
AnswerID: 108340

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:09

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:09
Thanks Utemad.

Did you have to seal the canopy down with mastic? We have a property so to use the ute around the place I would like to be able to take the canopy on and off easily. If I have to seal it down to the tub then it would be a pain in the neck.

Richard
FollowupID: 365138

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 15:43

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 15:43
I have the ARB canopy also, seals well with the HD foam they provide. Only issue was they stuck it to the tub and when I lifted the canopy off it all ripped away. I went to Clark Rubber to price some replacement, $19 a metre...WTF? Rang ARB and got the replacement seal kit for $30 and stuck it to the canopy this time, Had the canopy off several times since and it has remined intact.
FollowupID: 365176

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:40

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 18:40
Mine was fitted by ARB 3 years ago and I have never had it off.

However I think Blue has summed it up well.
FollowupID: 365201

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:15

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:15
As you say Blue seems to have the answer. The ARB units appear to be really made for the outback especially in the ability to fit fairly substantial roof racks.
Richard
FollowupID: 365237

Follow Up By: Utemad - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 22:43

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 22:43
I would definately go for an ARB canopy again. We had a terrible time with a TJM canopy before we returned it for a refund.
Although if you want to be taking it on and off my friends TJM canopy removes itself LOL.
FollowupID: 365254

Reply By: matttg - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:51

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 22:51
Hi,

My Brother has a Factory Hard top on a Nissan Navara D/C.

The cover comes unlocked by twisting on rough roads and bumpy tracks, which is a pain in the butt.

On the Border Track he had to wrap duct tape around the whole ute tub to keep it closed. Im not sure if Nissan have fixed this or if different manufacturers have better systems

The under side of cover has scuffed the paint on the corners of the tub.

The hard top is about 150 mm deep and reduces the hieght available to store Jerry cans and tool boxes.

With the factory Roll Bar it also reduces the amount of the tube that you can get to.

On the Plus side, it is great for security around Town with tools in the back most of the time.
All up it is a compromise between security, space, weatherproofness and usable area (and looks)

Cheers,
Matt
AnswerID: 108346

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:13

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:13
Thanks for your reply. It seems from comments on the forum that the Navara has a major problem with a twisting body.

Richard
FollowupID: 365139

Reply By: MrBitchi - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:57

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:57
We had a hard tonneau cover on a work holden ute. I found it severely limits what you can carry. If a box for example is an inch higher than the ute tub the tonneau won't close. Or, as happened to us, someone leans on it to force it closed and rips the hinges out :--(
PITA when it's raining too and you can't close it. Much prefer the soft ones or a full canopy.
AnswerID: 108400

Follow Up By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:11

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:11
Thanks for that. I had thought to check avaialble hieght to ensure "stuff" fitted in.
Richard
FollowupID: 365235

Reply By: Member - Smocky (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:27

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:27
G'day Richard,

I had the sports bar on the Rodeo with a soft tonneau. I decided against the hard tonneau for many of the reasons already mentioned, but mainly it limits what you can carry and makes it damn hard to reach the back there the hinges are. There is limited space there to get your arms in and you can't get your head and both arms in near the roll bar. Can't lean in is what I'm saying.

Changed to the CarryBoy canopy as had BIG security issues with the soft tonneau that I had underestimated. I assumed tray would be empty except when camping. Well, when you go camping with all your gear in the back, you stop in towns, perhaps even stay overnight in a motel occassionally. Didn't get any sleep worrying about my stuff left in the truck.

Anyway's, very happy with the CarryBoy. Top quality inside and out. Not sure if it would be the one I would pick if it was going to get a flogging as it's about $1,000 dearer than the others and a bit smaller in usable space. Looks great though IMHO. Rig pic should show. You can take it on and off if you don't get it stuck down with eurethane.

I woudl steer clear of hard lid and go with a canpoy. Apart from space benefits, you can see what is in there and where as well.

Cheers,

Jason.

AnswerID: 108505

Sponsored Links