rear view problem

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:54
ThreadID: 22403 Views:1523 Replies:8 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
the rear viz in my 120 prado is worrying me. I know you can buy little cameras that look back, but want a lower cost solution, basically to stop me reversing into any more objects. I've seen people with big mirrors mounted above the rear window, but think they look crap.
I have seen some vehicles in the UK (where tight parking is more of an issue) with what looks like some sort of prism/mirror, that sits flush with the rear window. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, and more importantly where I can get one of them, before I do some serious damage.
Cheers
jon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nudenut - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:11

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:11
I know what you mean..have seen them my self but got no idea where available

surly auto accessory places should be able to help...repco, supercheap etc etc.
AnswerID: 108388

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:18

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:18
jondg,
I have the plastic mirror your referring to on the back of my 120. It's about 10"x8" and sticks to the interior of the rear window. They are available from most auto parts shop ( if not, they could order one in ) and are made to view at different angles. I bought one with the tightest angle. It allows me to view the tow ball for reversing up to my van. Sorrry, I ca'nt remember the brand name, but I'm sure most auto shops would know. I purchased mine from Autopro in Campbelltown NSW.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 108389

Reply By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:56

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 08:56
Kmart stock them Jon, bought one last year.
AnswerID: 108392

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:59

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 09:59
I had one on the back of the Coaster. It wasn't that good. It fell off after a while and I never bothered to replace it. Also the Coaster rear window is plastic and faded so the view out isnt the best anyway.
One of those angled down mirrors on the back of a one tonne van might be good. Go to the wreckers.

AnswerID: 108401

Reply By: flappa - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:55

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 10:55
Most of the Autopart places have those plastic see thru thingos. Not that expensive.

You can get a set of sensors from places like Strathfield Car Radio , for not a lot.

Has a beeper on the dash (not a reverseing beeper) , that indicates if something is close.
AnswerID: 108406

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:00

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 12:00
Yeah since I put my storage box in the surf my rear visibility is pretty crap but the side mirrors on it are just excellent. I also fitted a reverse beeper. I find backing up SLOW with an eye on the two mirrors and the beeper going does it fine for me.
Ever driven a van or a truck?? Same problems.

I still refer backing the surf up with no rear window visibility than I do reversing the wifes BA falcon up. You can't see didly crap out the back window of the Falcon and the side mirrors are just for show, they don't actually do anything!

She drives it in and out of shopping centre car parks for work all day and freely admits that she looks around to make sure there's noone around then quickly hopes in and backs it out and hopes for the best!
AnswerID: 108414

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:48

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:48
I know you can buy little cameras that look back, but want a lower cost solution,

remove the seats and back door.. problem solved.
AnswerID: 108456

Reply By: Troll83 - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:39

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 23:39
I solved that problem with a parking sensor I got from a normal car audio shop cost me $60 and about $50 to install...it's got a very small digital display showing 1.5-0.3 away from hitting something and it beeps as closer you get the quicker it beeps...works well and they just drill 2 little holes into your rear bumper bar where the sensors are located. I am very impressed
AnswerID: 108730

Sponsored Links