Calmini Lsd:s from America

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 15:48
ThreadID: 22415 Views:3042 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
According to www.purenissan.com there are a variety of Nissan (front) lsd:s available from the U.S, in my case I'm after the Nissan front lsd for my Terrano II quoted at US449.95. Has anyone looked into importing gear from them (Calmini products), has anyone heard any good or bad about the stuff and what approximately would I be looking at as the the total cost as importing gear like this privately..?
Your help would be most appreciated, I'm a prospective first time intrepid importer...whatever that amounts to...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Charlie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 16:59

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 16:59
There are at least two Calmini dealers in OZ,4wd USA over in the west and Kaos in the ACT so I'd get a price off them first.
To go it alone your looking at freight,$80 customs clearance,duty and GST.You might be lucky and avoid some of these charges, maybe not.

Regards Charlie
AnswerID: 108435

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:34

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 19:34
LSD in the front is asking for problems... Steering on gravel/soft surface roads for one.

Heres a few quotes from Outerlimits4x4.com, there are many more there.. and here, and patrol
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2577&highlight=front+lsd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick:
I use to have a LSD in the front, it was shimmed right up and worked awesome for about 5 minutes, i wouldnt

A. waste my time
B. Waste my money again.
Sixty:
But was it still better than an open diff?? Even some help in t he scrub is better than none....
Nick:
I would say, yes it was better than an open but not buy awhole lot.

Anything that you could drive with a LSD front you could drive open front.
Ruff (owner of outerlimits)

Regarding the Question at hand..............

I have run an LSD in the front before and did for quite a long time and it was realy a waste of time it didnt make any noticable difference at all except making the steering a little heavier.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GQ_Patrol/message/2266
I've tried front lsds in other vehicles and IMO thay are not worth the effort.
Most times when front traction is required is when one wheel is light to the ground or in the air.
An lsd needs both wheels firmly planted to work. Front traction losses occur mainly going up hill when front end is light.
A really "tight" lsd will pull you off the road on slippery bends in the flat.
Save your $$ and in a couple of years time fit an Air Locker.
bazzle
more on it at
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GQ_Patrol/
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4wd/

On the importing thing, work out GST on top of that price, + exchange rate, + Freight - then work out what happens with warranty issues should they occur...

Then work out if its worth bothering with, then bank the bucks.

Would be easier to fit GQ diffs.
AnswerID: 108452

Reply By: Richard & Leonie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:21

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 21:21
I was advised against Calmini parts. I was told they are good for USA conditions but are not up to our sort of travel in the bush. Where else in the world??? except where one would be in an amoured troop carrier do you find our types of roads?
AnswerID: 108486

Reply By: Charlie - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:54

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:54
Calmini have the connections to source some of the OEM gear direct from Japan so thier LSDs are the same as fitted to some domestic Jap 4WDs.Personally I'd save my money and put it towards an ARB airlocker.
Regards Charlie
AnswerID: 108513

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:59

Wednesday, Apr 27, 2005 at 23:59
"Personally I'd save my money and put it towards an ARB airlocker."
I think he was told that in the other thread, but his mind is made up regardless of advice.

YMMV
FollowupID: 365264

Reply By: Popeda - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:37

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:37
Thanks for your replies, I now have the info and I reckon there are the following options:

1. Weld the front diff shut, the CIG locker option (I'm joking...)
2. Get the front lsd (price appears to be around $900 signed sealed and delivered according to some quotes I got)
3. Fit Cooper, BFG or similar muddies and carry my home made mud chains and use them only when absolutely necessary, being careful not to chop up the (wet) track too much

I feel the option 3 now appears to be just great... Need new tyres anyway...

Thanks, Popeda.
(Popeda is actually an old Russian-built passenger car apparently no longer in production, saw once in Estonia, that one had the floor made of three two-by-fours and pieces of rotting timber placed on them vertically with seats on top and I'm not joking...)

AnswerID: 108600

Sponsored Links