Best Tents for Beach Camping

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2243 Views:10430 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

Could I please get some advice on a good 4man tent used primarily for beach camping?

thanks
Flaksy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Flaksy,

I would think a dome tent or tunnel tent would be the best for the conditions. The poles will flex with the wind. Also, you've got the option the use the tent fly for sun/rain protection, but leave it off for better ventilation in hot/humid conditions. Get one the opens front and back to catch the breeze.

We used to have a 4 man dome tent and did a lot of beach camping on WA coast, where there is little shade and plenty of wind. Tent would sometimes be blown almost flat, but would stand up again every time, no problem.

Melissa
AnswerID: 7989

Reply By: dave - Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Oct 29, 2002 at 01:00
The new generation dome tents are good for this application, they are not actually dome topped but sort of flatten out, giving you max height much closer to the walls of the tent,
This flatter top provides greater strength in windy conditions, Fibre glass poles do flex but can also snap, and tear the fly. These new models seem to be the answer for the old weight vs strength battle.
Which ever way you go, look for a 'geodesic' design. (where the poles that just go across the tent cross over the diagonal poles. This design makes very little more effort to erect but is far stronger.
Dave
AnswerID: 7992

Reply By: Gypsy Helen - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
Flaksy, don't forget to get some "sand pegs". Plastic ones which seem to grip well in sandy conditions. I agree that a dome is the way to go. In my experience they flex with the wind.
AnswerID: 8031

Follow Up By: Grazza - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00
Heres a handy tip folks...when camping with a tent on sand (or snow for that matter), make your own "anchors" out of Milo tin lids. Cut a hole in the centre and place your tent ropes through, then bury the lid upright in the sand facing side on to the direction of pull. It takes a hurricane to move these suckers (and they are dirt cheap too!!).
FollowupID: 3823

Reply By: Kevin - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
Flaksy, We have always used a centre pole 10' x10' tent no problems on WA's Essperance coast. Kevin
AnswerID: 8070

Follow Up By: Flaksy - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Thanks everyone.

Are there any suggestions on brands? Or are they all roughly the same?

thanks
Flaksy
FollowupID: 3818

Reply By: Des - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Choice did a review of 4-person dome & geodesic tents last year. Their top pick was DMH Sturt (good value at $320 RRP), followed by Wild Country Oxley, Kookaburra Geodesic 5 star EV, Nomad Bass and OzTrail Highlander. Get the full article (downloadable as pay-per-view from www.choice.com.au), and shop around - prices vary a lot.

I've never used one, but if I were travelling around and could afford it, I would use an Oztent for their simplicity and speed of setup. But they cost $$$$.

Happy camping.
AnswerID: 8100

Reply By: kezza - Friday, Nov 01, 2002 at 01:00

Unless it raining or freezing we usually use a good silver poly tarp and enjoy the views of waking up looking at the surf (why else camp on the beach??) Often we sleep 10 under a 20' x12' with a simple 90% shade cloth on the dewy wind side if necessary. If dingos are a worry I use a 9volt dick smith infra red sensor chime/alarm on the downwind side or at our heads to alert us to any intruders. Best of all are the times when we can just sleep under the stars. - Sounds risky? Been doing it for 30 years all over Australia and were still alive and havnt lost any kids yet.
If you dont like the views any good quality dome tent will do fine - if the winds come up a bit Ill usually dig in a couple of good pieces of wood a couple of feet into the sand on the upwind side and anchor the tent to those, can't say what wind rating this system is but again we're still here and we've been through some ripper storms and blows.
happy camping
kezza
AnswerID: 8120

Reply By: Ian KimberleyCruiser - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00
Tent doesn't matter as much as really long sand pegs. The star section plastic kind with lotsa GRIP! about 40cm long should do the trick. Don't try to hammer them into iron ore in the Pilbarra though. We've found dome style tents don't stand up to a stiff sea breeze as well as a rigid framed ones. The curve on the fibreglass poles turns inside-out.

Cheers,
Ian
AnswerID: 8737

Reply By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

I lived on the water front in Kurnell for 33yrs, spend yrs campin out the sandhills around the water holes, but that was getting smashed and sleepign where you fell or in your car(I had a ute, usually ended up with 10odd bodies in it!).. That was on sand. But sheltered....

I cant understand why you would want to camp on a beach? Windy and cold as the artic! and if storms come in you have nothing to shelter you..

Wouldnt be better off camping behind some sort of weather/wind shelter?

Oh and dont get the tide wrong.
AnswerID: 8743

Reply By: flaksy - Wednesday, Nov 20, 2002 at 01:00

I am primarily on the beach for fun and even more importantly....fishing!
Flaksy
AnswerID: 8768

Sponsored Links