Toyo Tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 30, 2005 at 22:43
ThreadID: 22531 Views:3453 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Have the need to replace current '98 Prado Tyres and have been recommended Toyo OPAT's 265/70R16's as a good 60/40 Road/4wd replacement for current Kellys. Originally sought Kellys as extremely happy with 108,000kms from current set (mainly on the bitumen past 18 months but heading to Flinders Ranges next month) but dealer tells me supply is slowing with lower demand as competeition lifts their game.
Has anyone out there had good experience with the Toyo's?
Peter W
"Life is not a Rehearsal"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:24

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:24
DONT TOUCH THEM!! My 80 had a set of brand newies when I bought it and every tim I take it out I have tyre grief. First trip the shoulders chipped away badly with some lugs torn right off next trip 2 flats including a sidewall ripped right out and the other was a sidwall puncture the tyre guy said the repair might not hold. 3rd trip 2 flats including another sidewall puncture 4th trip is today so I will keep you posted
AnswerID: 109051

Reply By: marcus - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:28

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:28
Hi Peter W,
I have fitted two Toyo Opats on the front only and find them very good on road (quiet and good handling) and so far no problems off road.My mate however sliced through a side wall on a new set in the Victorian high country on our last outing and was not pleased.Knowing the conditions of the Flinders Ranges I would be inclined to look at something a bit tougher.
cheers Mark
AnswerID: 109053

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:48

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 11:48
Peter,

I've done 20,000 on a set so far. By my measurements they'll do 60.

Quiet on road. Useless in mud. Had no issues with them off road chipping or puncturing and they perform well for me the kind of terrain I go in. Keep in mind I drive a Jerry Can with a bit of lift and probably never tackle the sort of stuff Davoe does so they suit me OK, up to a point.

They're OK, but even on Jerry Can, I'd like something a little more agressive, especially in mud. I'll be getting something else next time.

Depends what you want to use them for.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 109055

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 12:56

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 12:56
Hi Peter

The gossip around the cattle stations up here is that Toyo OPATs chip badly on the sharp gravel we have up here, and they are prone to sidewall damage when you run them at lower pressure to avoid tread fractures on the stones.

I have a set of Bridgestone 8-ply D693s which are good for sand and gravel, and on sealed road (haven't seen any mud!) but I'm not happy with the wear rate. Looks like I'll get about 40K out of the set.

A couple of days ago, I put a pair of Cooper STTs on the back axle to see if they are any good. Supposed to be more chip resistant than the ST, but it's too early to tell.

Cheers
John
Oodnadatta
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 109057

Follow Up By: Peter W - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 13:59

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 13:59
Thanks for your comments Davoe, Marcus, Jimbo and Jiarna.
Always important to get info from those who use the product rather than those who sell them. (although this guy did recommend the current Kellys that have been excellent).
Another option is Pirellis at about $8 each extra....any experience with these?? Or go the whole hog to Cooper ATR's which would mean extra $24 each and whilst I would love to do more 4WDing I know my limitations/ experience would only allow for 30/40% usage off road.
Not made of money either unfortunately.
Any comments as it appears I should avoid the Toyos?

Peter W
FollowupID: 365772

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:07

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 17:07
Peter,

We had Toyo "Open Country" tyres, in 31x10.5R15, on 80 series Turbo(90 Model) Thought they weren't too bad, but punctured easily, once worn down a bit. Put this down to my driving style then, as this was the fastest toyota I'd ever driven!

Went out of the Toyo's when they became hard to get, and more expensive. Thought that a lot of the puncture problems were the 15 inch tyres, thin in the walls, and definitely not the tyre for the "real bush." Davoe & Jiarna will know what I mean.

Did buy some Toyo in 750R16, and while they wore well(still have two on a trailer), the tread was s'house, and made driving like you were on ball bearings.

Been using BFG AT's on 97 model 80 series since we bought it in 98, and they've been good. Chip a bit in the stony stuff, but I never vary the pressures, run @ 32 psi, most of time, whether on Bruce H'way or Birdsville Track. Have had a couple of flats, but no blow-outs, even in summer.

Would be nice to get 100K clicks out of a set of tyres, 50K is best ever, out of Wrangler MTR's.

Hooroo...
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 109084

Follow Up By: Peter W - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:05

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:05
Thanks Bob Y,
All information is taken on board and will be discussed at length with my supplier (staying with him as I have found him the best deal).
As you appreciate tyres are an important commodity in the rough and I am actually disappointed the Kellys aren't readily available through him again.
Happy driving!!

Peter W
FollowupID: 365807

Reply By: old-plodder - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:39

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 19:39
Just coming to the end of a set of 235/85/16 10 ply Toyo OPATS on a Pajero.

About 60,000k. Got them for $180.00 ea about 2 1/2 years ago.
About average milage with other AT tyres I have run.
I do push it in the corners sometimes, so a bit hard on tyres.

Price seems to have gone up so not buying them again. Otherwise I would.
Good on the road. Done a few trips like the Flinders ranges via Strezlecki and Birdsville tracks. Did chip a bit but not too bad. Chips wore off after 10,000k. Didn't chip as bad as some previous other well known makes on similar roads. Havn't really tried them out in good mud, but they are only a road orientated AT, so I wouldn't expect too much.
Good bitumen grip in dry and wet, about the best AT I have used for this. I would suggest that they have a slightly 'softer' rubber for better bitumen grip.
AnswerID: 109112

Follow Up By: Peter W - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:21

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:21
Thanks Old Plodder,
As one who does the majority of driving on the bitumen it is good to get a report that focusses a bit more in this direction. As an old plodder myself I would love to do more rugged 4wd but the "boss" freaks a bit when dust is raised.
Apart from the "chipping" aspect your comments run true to what my supplier has said and I suppose it basically comes down to how hard we drive and in what conditions.
Not proposing to do "mud" trips and as stated previously I am more a 60% main road 40% off road traveller.
Allcomments are good food for thought and will be considered when I finalise my purchase.
Thanks again.

Peter W
FollowupID: 365829

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:38

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:38
In light of this comment In will reveal that they are as smmoth as a babys bum on bit and gravel no probs there. but as my last wrecked tyre cost 220 i would look elsewhere personally, ps had kellys on my camper happy enough but did pop one on the back way to kookynie prop a good budget buy check out tyrepower as they are main suppliers
FollowupID: 366081

Follow Up By: Peter W - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:21

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 16:21
Thanks for your honesty Davoe,
For the record my bloke is with Tyrepower and he is the one who initially recommended Kellys and now Toyo in light of comments mentioned in earlier thread. With 108,000km now on current Kellys I would actually be happy to go this way again. Decision day is looming and when spending 4 x $240+ you want to make an informed decision and all comments are gratefully received.
Return Flinders trip now on hold due to mates family problems so will probably do a central Qld jaunt now to find some warm weather (Vic is freezing).
Cheers,
Peter W
FollowupID: 366088

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:16

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:16
As promised an update after this weeks trip - yep another puncture despite only tame 2wd tracks
FollowupID: 366193

Reply By: Peter Guy - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 14:29

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 14:29
Go for a set of Cooper AT's - perfect for those long hot rough stoney corrogated dirt roads.
Cheers
Peter Guy
AnswerID: 109229

Reply By: Terryfied - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:09

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:09
Peter, I run Toyo Hyper radials on my Jackaroo.A different tread and tyre than the opats.There is a slight noise on bitumen,done 30,000km so far and should be good for that again.Work well in mud and done some desert work in them with no problems plus some rock and sharp stone work.
This particular tyre i believe is used on mine sites in north of W.A.Cannot say they are the best but look outside the opat range.

Terry
AnswerID: 109304

Follow Up By: Peter W - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:05

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:05
Thanks Guys,
As stated before all info has been taken onboard and will be considered when I make the final decision. So much to choose from and so many considerations. Trust I will make the right choice.
Great Net site.

Cheers Peter W
FollowupID: 366077

Sponsored Links