Merchandise

Submitted: Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2254 Views:1511 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Looking at the Merchandise section, everythign is out of print.. Getting new stock?

Stickers, are free with purchase, what if you want one anyway without purchase?

Also with membership, would it be viable for the advertising you would get for free hat and sticker with member ship?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00
Hey Truckster, what do you want for $30! But since he's raised the point, I've been wondering about the out of print stuff too. I'm not a big hat wearer (naughty me) and I don't drink beer, but I wouldn't mind a shirt. Have you considered stocking these? Melissa
AnswerID: 8021

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

You can use tinny holders for Pepsi too! ;)
FollowupID: 3764

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Yes we have and I have been hassling Michell about getting the Merchandise however there is a large captial outlay (to get the min quanties) and we do not end up selling much stock. It took ages to sell the last round and we ended up giving much of it away. Yes I understand this is good for publicity and advertising however we did not get anything back in return.

I will hassle Michelle again and we will see what we can do.

David
FollowupID: 3766

Melissa, Wasnt totally thinking of the $30... Was talkin in general for the stock.... ;)

David.
Giving it away is good as you say for advertising. But unless you budget for it at the start, and EG
Say we will outlay X$ and plan to recoup that over 18-24 mths.

All in the planning. You have to spend money to make money. Simple fact. But as your not a LARGE business, its nuts to blow lots of cabbage.

(that edit function would have been good after I posted this at the start!!!!)
FollowupID: 3779

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - David - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Yes it is out of print check my followup to Melissa above. I will ask Michelle what she wants to do. As for giving away items with membership we used to do this however do to rising costs and reducing income this had to stop. I would love to be able to give everyone who uses the site something alas we would go broke - pitty. Anyway you get stickers with Membership - so if you join you will have some in fact on any shop order you can request a few more if you like. Again we cannot just post things out to everyone who wants one as say 1000 stickers x 22 cents production + 45 cents postage ends up costing us money.

Also the margins in the shop get eaten away with staff to pack orders, Member money, discounts and credit merchant fees (bloody banks). So we are trying to run a tight ship and keep the business going. If we can fix the advertisers, get more members and increase shop sales then all this would be able to turn around and I would be happy to give stuff away.

Regards
David
AnswerID: 8024

Follow Up By: Exploroz Team - Michelle - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

If it's over to me, then yes I have to agree that whilst the merchandise is good publicity but it does have a real cost in terms of holding extensive stock levels to bring the items down to a reasonable price.
Any people out there in the trade willing to give me a very special price on merchandise?
Furthermore, if member's want the merchandise within the membership fee then the postage charge will increase due to packaging/weight. Rather than have the fancy overheads in the membership we thought not to force people into paying for something they wont use (Melissa above says she doesn't drink beer or wear a hat see). Hence, the merchandise can be bought by those that actually want it and so costs are kept to a minimum for membership.
Ok, so I'll start looking at the quotes again on the stuff. Since you raised it, what are people's interest in the existing products - ie. hats, mouse mats and stubby holders. Shirts are expensive, and a problem because you have to stock the different sizes. Maybe the cloth badge so you can apply it to your own shirts?
FollowupID: 3772

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Cloth badge sounds like a good idea to me coz then I can choose a shirt that I like.

But it may not sell as well as shirts as it's not ready to wear.
FollowupID: 3777

Rule 1. You cant please everyone.

I think something to put patches/badges on would be good. I collect Patches and Badges from places I travel too.. When ya got memory problems, it helps out to remember places ya been to :(...

Something others DONT sell... Travel Blankets maybe, and sew on patches are excellent... Cheap and easy, Tinny holders are always welcome, someone always forgets theirs! Pins/badges for hats are always good. Many a night sat around swappng hats talking about what and where... Good ice breaker for some.

Always buy a sticker and badge when I go somewhere new, I have 4 Photo albums full of stickers so far! Love it.

The wife does the spoons thing though... Good from places, but boy do they take up room!

Shirts are good, but as you say, having to stock all sizes from XXS to XXXXL 5 of each is LOTS of outlay....

What about spare wheel covers, I have no idea on their cost, never thought to look into them... LArge exploroz on that would get the word around. Also depends on if your trying to spread the word or make a buck.. Sometimes they go hand in hand, othertimes your better off to aim at one or the other, then the other may flow on later.

Valid point on the keep overheads to a low, better idea in a way.

Finally, you need things others dont have, everyone has Shirts etc, but how about Flags for when people go to places like Robe SA, where you need a flag on a big pole for safety?? Shouldnt be too expensive, and having EXPLOROZ.COM.AU and the emblem on it would rock!

Just a few thoughts...
FollowupID: 3778

Follow Up By: Member - Melissa - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Guys,

Yep, I can see your point about large capital expense to stock merchandise, particularly shirts. Patches aren't a bad idea but get the nice embroidered ones, not the old style woven type. They don't look nearly as good. Even though I don't wear hats much, my hubby has heaps of them, so I'd probably get him one. :-) Melissa
FollowupID: 3784

Reply By: Bernie - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Hi David & Michelle Truckster'S Cloth badges are a great idea,
& I like the wheel cover as well I have been looking for something different for a cover & why buy a cover from a 4x4 shop to advertise them 0r vehicle name for motor car producers.
Put me on the list for a tyre cover proud to advertise EXPLOREOZ
Regards Bernie

AnswerID: 8034

Follow Up By: Member - Ray - Wednesday, Oct 30, 2002 at 01:00

Yeah,Ive got a wheel cover but I would chuck it out for an Exploroz one.
FollowupID: 3789

Follow Up By: Royce - Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:00
ditto
FollowupID: 3812

Reply By: John - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Recon if they come in 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 I'll be interested as well.....

Cheers.. John
AnswerID: 8183

Sponsored Links