pressure washing (drum) machine

Submitted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 13:56
ThreadID: 22541 Views:2894 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hi, we have bought an older type pressure (camping) washing drum that is a round drum with a handle on to turn it around to wash clothes.
my query is how do others use them? i usually sit it on the ground which is not only uncomfortable but on sandy ground isn't the best. also how much water do others put in?, i've tried it 1/2 full and higher. i have worked out that not to put too much washing powerder in it. thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 18:35

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 18:35
Maybe you need one of those new plastic bucket washing systems that are all the rage now.
AnswerID: 109102

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:24

Sunday, May 01, 2005 at 20:24
What is wrong with putting it on the table and sitting on a chair and turning it...they are not very heavy...had one a while back...o.k. but just putting the clothes in a sealed bucket and about half full of water... or a bit more , whilst travelling seems to do a good job and takes less effort....must keep the elbow in good nick for more serious things...cheers
AnswerID: 109124

Reply By: Steerpike - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:12

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:12
Hey, GB. I've also got one. Mine is a bright orange Bamix brand one, aluminium. It was pretty expensive about 8 years ago (maybe $100). Just a year or so later, cheaper plastic ones came out. From memory, it is less than half-filled with boiling water(maybe one third full), then clothes and detergent. It is then sealed up and the handle is turned gently. The boiling water plus the detergent generates significant pressure, like a pressure cooker. This pressure/heat does the cleaning, not the actual agitation. You only need to turn it gently to mix the contents, not agitate them. The clothes come out very clean. We didn't use ours very much. After the wash, you then need a tub or bucket to rinse the clothes. It is a bit laborious, but you get very clean clothes. We find it easier to use an auto machine in a laundromat.
AnswerID: 109514

Follow Up By: Mick - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:56

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:56
Pressure has absolutely nothing to do with the cleaning process but it was an effective sales angle. If the water was moving from an area of high pressure to an area of low pressure via the material to be washed it may have some additional benefit but to simply increase the pressure inside the vessel has no benefit. The cleaning is done by the detergent/water mixture dissolving the dirt on the clothes. Rotation of the drum assists the penetration. ALL washing machines use this very simple process. As already mentioned, placing soiled clothing in a sealed container with detergent and water in a moving vehicle is equally effective.
FollowupID: 366280

Sponsored Links