Paint for trailer?

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:16
ThreadID: 22565 Views:28752 Replies:10 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all,
I'm after some advice on Solaguard paint. I've recently purchased a 5'x8' box trailer to cart my new quad and son/friends dirt bikes about. Like most new trailers today they come with the cheapest and pourest quality paint jobs. Mine looks like they waved a spary gun over it, hopeing some paint would land on it! One coat, no primer!
Anyway ......... I'm thinking of using Solaguard on it. I thought that this was a water based paint and not really suitable for this application, although someone mentioned to me that Dulux has added oil to the mix, for better bonding to metal. It this correct? Can anyone confirm this? I'd rather hand pant it than spray, it's just more convenient, and as far as I'm concerned, there's no points for neatness when painting a trailer. I only want to prolong it's life as long as possible.
Any advice?
Regards,
Bazza.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: normc - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:28

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:28
I'd use an enamel paint if you are looking for durability and protection. I've used White Knight Rust Guard to paint the steel tray on my 1Ton ute. Did it by hand and it came up pretty well. Although it is enamel, it dries fast.

http://www.whiteknightpaints.com.au

You will find details of their metal protection paints here. Select 'products' then 'metal protection'.

Solarguard is a good paint, but is not designed for the rough handling your trailer will get.

Norm C
AnswerID: 109182

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:35

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:35
Like most new trailers today they come with the cheapest and pourest quality paint jobs. Mine looks like they waved a spary gun over it, hopeing some paint would land on it!

that would go for most new cars too! had a look at a few while walkin past a car yard on weekend, Im not a spray painters asshole, but I'd be ashamed to let a job like that out the door!

I've used that Rust Guard type stuff on a bike trailer.. the pressure pack cans, makes life so easy...
AnswerID: 109184

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:37

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:37
Get the trailer hot-dipped galvanised. You might find that it ends up being a similar price to the cost of paint - and it will last forever...
AnswerID: 109185

Follow Up By: Phils - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:19

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 18:19
I thought this was the way to go with my 7x5 trailer until I priced it.
$500 plus.
FollowupID: 365938

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:38

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:38
Old farmers trick ....... use paving paint, sticks like the proverbial to a blanket & is actually quite a good polyurethane coating.
AnswerID: 109186

Reply By: Alan S (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:55

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 09:55
Bazza

I have recently finished repainting mine. I used some industrial paint that i got from a previous job ( free paint but lousy color, but hey its a trailer). When i last painted it about 4 years ago i used a spray gun, this time i tried it by hand. As long as you load the brush properly and take your time it comes up as almost as good as spraying.

Alan
AnswerID: 109188

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:20

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:20
I'd go with Norm C on this. I have used the white knight stuff in anumber of applications over the years and have always been happy.

I used to keep a couple of cans around for quick touch-ups around the place. The matt black was great for those little scrapes on the bull bar you pick up when out for a weekend playing "Who can get up the meanest hill."

I also found it made a good base to put other colours over. I had a metal gate post that the solaguard kept flaking off. A quick coat of the white knight and the solarguard stuck to that just fine.

Duncs
AnswerID: 109189

Reply By: Member - Chrispy (NSW) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:50

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:50
I've always used the good old hammertone brush-on paint. Brushes easily (or sprays), flattens itself out to an even finish. Tough, practical, and comes in both dark green and grey - which suit my trailer.
AnswerID: 109193

Reply By: Capt. Wrongway - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:57

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 10:57
Thanks guys, for all your advice. I think I'll go for the brush applied, White Knight enamel finish.
Regards,
Bazza.
AnswerID: 109197

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:53

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 11:53
Morning Capt'n.

Before you do what ever you choose to do paint wise, invest in a small tin of PENETROL.

All reasonable paint shops have it, and buy adding a tad of that to the paint, stiring in well, you will be amazed at the finish.

It makes the paint flow on like nothing you have seen before, stick worse that baby S H I T to a blanket, resist chipping (note doesn't prevent it just RESISTS) and looks like a 'two pack' finish.

Its cheap and if you are using a litre tin you remove the top half inch of paint and replace it with pentrol. Thats the only mixing guide I know and it works well.

Regards

Ken Robinson.
AnswerID: 109205

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:48

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:48
I have nothing to ad I dont even know why Im writting. I'll just go now
AnswerID: 109383

Sponsored Links