Update on my overheating (as I promised I would)

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:11
ThreadID: 22584 Views:3738 Replies:12 FollowUps:20
This Thread has been Archived
These are the Days of Our Lives........................

Did the changes I said I would last week. New bottom hose which can't collapse; new thermostat, new coolant with Redline Oils "Water Wetter" with a small amount of Tectalloy 90+ and the rest is rain water.

Went over to Pesty's place for the weekend (100klm with a couple of moderate hills). The camper trailer was attached; the weather was mild (about 20 degrees) and no head winds to speak of.

Nissan gauge did not move off it's "NORMAL" location. VDO gauge moved between 80 and 105 degrees. This is not considered too hot for coolant as it is under pressure and the boiling point is raised above normal.

I know I've copped a bit of flack from a few readers who reckon I should do certain things (like take about 500 kg's of accessories off it etc, or take it to Mr Nissan and just say "FIX IT")......No Thanks...... (a) I use all the accessories I have fitted ; they are not just there for show....(b) Nissan or any other dealer for that matter would simply do their usual basic diagnosis and say it's all okay. And for the most part they'd be right.....all is okay with the vehicle.....it has plenty of power, does not blow black smoke, uses no oil or coolant etc etc.....the temp gauge just gets up a bit higher than I reckon it should......maybe I'm just paranoid???

Anyway, before I go to a lot of expense (a cracked head has been suggested as a possible problem), I phoned the dudes at CEM in Qld today. They're the mob that have that chit you stick in your donk to 'de-sludge' the oil. The bloke reckons the symptoms are what his clients have been reporting before they use his product; and their symptoms go away after they've used it. His theory is that there could be a build-up of sludge in the motor that is making it's presence felt when the motor is being asked to giddie-up. I've ordered some of this stuff and will see what happens.

Oil temp sender is going to be added later this week (getting a nut bronzed onto the back of the sump about 2" above the sump plug and will punch a hole through later).

I've got a thick hide, so keep the critisisms coming through Andrew X etc.....I can handle everybody's point of view.

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:23

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:23
Roachie, You know your car better than anyone.

If you sense somethings amiss, well something is probibly amiss.

Keep searching. You'll find it.

iMusty
AnswerID: 109290

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:57

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:57
Thanks iMusty,
I'll keep investigating, but will try not to panic......operating temp is probably within acceptable standards anyway.....

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 365966

Reply By: Exploder - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:51

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:51
Gday Roachie

Yep you r right about Nissan they will say it the radiator or thermo charge you $400 and fix nothing. Now if it holds 105c in 40c then you r all sweet.

Between 90 and 105 is a good running temp.

You know what they say a hot engine is a happy engine.

I hope this has finally sorted for you and that CHM stuff should hopefully knock it off completely.

What are you going to do with all that spare time, you will be lost without the cooling problem ( :
AnswerID: 109297

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:58
Cheers mate,

I'll get this stuff in to do a flush and then see what happens.....then I'll take some worry pills.....

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 365968

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:04

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:04
Roachie

Have you been following the discussions about this on the Patrol Yahoo Group?
Quite a few have said that the MTQ upgrade has cured their chronic overheating.
AnswerID: 109300

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:01

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:01
G'day Andrew,

No mate, I haven't visited the Yahoo site for a while......will try to find it and have a little look. I think it was Trendy who said the MTQ fix seemed to be the way to go. Pesty also knows a bloke who put a larger hairdryer on his 4.2 GU and he's never had a problem (but I guess that doesn't mean anything really.

Cheers mate......

BTW....has Pesty asked you about possible camp sites about an hour or so west of Pt Augusta, where we could stop for an overnighter on our way to Gawler Ranges in a couple of weeks?

Roachie
FollowupID: 365970

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:30

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:30
Here's a head start
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD

Iron Knob, Kimba?
Maybe come through Whyalla and go out on the Old Kimba Road (dirt) and camp at Secret Rocks. That would be a bit over an hour from PA but going the long way. Then continue next day through Kimba.

If you are going the other way (dirt from Iron Knob) then maybe just a roadside camp.
FollowupID: 365982

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:46

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:46
Thanks for the camping idea/s Andrew....will now have a look at the link you posted as well....

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 366082

Follow Up By: trendy - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:41

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:41
Andrew & Roachie
Some of the comments on the yahoo site belong to me. The latest with regard to my probs (now with 1000 towing km) is all still seems to be well and I have been pushing HARD to try and see what happens. VDO gauge still moves between 80 - 105 but 105 is when I'm sitting on 110 in 4th. I'm only hoping I get a few really hot days out around Moree/Narrabri when I'm out that way this weekend. Have only had mid 20's up here lately. But you will have no lack of power if you get MTQ to fiddle with yours Roachie. I feel like I'm driving an auto as it rarely gets out of 4th these days. As I said will keep all posted when I get back from my work trip in a couple of weeks, which will test it out well and good.Talk soon regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 366112

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:28

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 21:28
Roachie,

My old 1989 GQ trayback with a TD42 motor used to run at the high end of temp guage, especially when it was fully loaded in the back 'n I mean fully loaded - whilst pullin' my also fully loaded camper trailer. It's still going strong today, although it's now out to pasture (it's on my mates farm as a "stud 4WD", it turns out Landcruiser/Nissan cross breeds :0)

Even when it ran hot, it never felt "tight" or felt like it was struggling. It always felt "right" if you know what I mean.

I reckon you may be worrying too much mate. But I also think the standard rad is a bit undersized as well.

BTW - thanks for the offer of the cheap 3 way fridge, but I've now put my12 volt Autofridge in the caravan and wired it up to my existing solar panels etc. Thanks again.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 109312

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:03

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:03
G'day Bilbo,

I know what you mean.....even when the temp gauge goes up a bit, the truck still goes great, no loss of power or signs of stress etc.

Maybe I'm making too much of this issue....

Cya mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 365971

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:14

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:14
"... bloke reckons the symptoms are what his clients have been reporting before they use his product; "

You expected him to say different? ;)
AnswerID: 109327

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:16

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:16
Truckster,
I probably gave the wrong impression, sorry.......the conversation went something like this.....

Him: Are you finding that your Nissan is only getting hot when under heavy load, uphill etc?
Me: yep
Him: that's what quite a few other Nissan owners have also said. etc etc

Cheers,

Roachie :-)
FollowupID: 365994

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 23:42

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 23:42
Is CEM the chit that willem tried?
FollowupID: 366309

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:28

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:28
Yeh mate, but I'm not sure what he reckoned about it.
I did the job on mine tonite.....changed the oil yesterday and while it was empty I got an engineering shop (customer of mine) to belt a hole in the back of my sump with a punch and then he brazed a nut on the hole which I had tapped a 1/8 npbt thread into. I then fitted the sender unit for the VDO oil temp gauge and wired it up. I only used cheap oil and got the CEM chit in mail today, so added 125ml of it and fast idled the donk for about 25 minutes. Then dumped that oil (Valvoline XLD was only $13- for 5 litres).
Whacked 2 new filters on and filled with Caltex Delo 400 (15w40).
Oil temp barely makes the gauge move off the bottom mark (50 deg C), but that was only on a 30 klm drive with no load and at about 90klicks.
Like the idea of the 6.2 Chev motor.
Cya
Roachie
FollowupID: 366499

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:32

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:32
Oil temp barely makes the gauge move off the bottom mark (50 deg C), but that was only on a 30 klm drive with no load and at about 90klicks.

so is that different or same as before?
FollowupID: 366502

Reply By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:58

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:58
Hi Roachie,

I suppose you need to do some more runs to know for sure if you've fixed the problem, though the temps you've quoted sound OK to me. At least you're not seeing the factory gauge rising beyond normal. I assume you mean that on parts of the journey the engine was at 80'C and other times it was at 105'C. Depending on the load and terrain I'd think it normal to see temps in this range. On vehicle hot test trips (NT) we regularly see temps much higher than this, though induced by dyno trailers to load up the vehicles.

Don't cop flack about using additives. I am a big fan of additives (I guess because I've been involced in their development over the years) and they've been a part of the fuel/oil business since day dot. I've had an email discussion with the guy from CEM and I think his product is soundly based - certainly not a snake oil merchant like some additives. Nissan 4.2 TD are known for sludge build-up and it wouldn't surprise me at all that coolant temps may be higher due to reduced heat transfer i.e. less heat rejection from block to oil, block temp goes up, coolant temp goes up. If nothing else, you'll have a cleaner engine that should be more efficient (thermally and mechanically).

Regards,
Hugh
AnswerID: 109359

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:32

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:32
Thanks mate,
Got the CEM today and will put up a new post once I've done some running around over the weekend.
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 366501

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:29

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 00:29
Roachie, a mate of mine bought an old HJ60 with a few miles under it's belt and found it got a bit hot, but also it cut out when cold and he never seemed to get much oil out of it when changing the oil. After talking to a few people he decided it was time for action.

He took the sump off and couldn't beleive his eyes. The oil was sludging up to the point that he could see where the crank turned inside the sump. The oil was like mud, stuck to the walls of the block, even up under the pistons. A few ours of scooping as much as possible by hand (messy, very messy) and two oil flushes later..... normal runing temp, no more cutting out, and normal amount of oil coming out at service time.

I know your forby is not very old and would not be in such a bad way, but some oils sludge up a lot, and being a turbo, this would be even more critical.

I havn't followed your story from the begining, but I take it you have tried different engine oils ?
AnswerID: 109363

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:26

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:26
Along the same line, I assume you are using a diesel specific oil? Sorry, you most probably are, since you seem a caring type with your motor! (Warm fuzzies here?)
Friend used to use Valvoline XL in his Mazda and switched to Valvoline XLD after a while. I understand the 'D' meant it contained detergent to flush out the sludge. That first couple of oil changes was amazing for the amount of rubbish that came out.
I also imagine that different oils have varying amounts of detergents and additives to clean the engine and hold the sludge and carbon in suspension. Any one else got experience with this?
FollowupID: 366008

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:24

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:24
Hell! man, there is your problem, the Tectalloy 90+.

90+ is for use in the colder climates like Heard Island, and Antarctica, where the maximum temp derived is 90F.

Mate! you should be using the 300+ spec stuff that comes in black so that you don't notice it weeping past your welsh plugs.

In retrospect I don't think you have anything to worry about as long as it holds around 105C and doesn't start the dreaded slow upwards creep without any sign of stopping.

AnswerID: 109425

Reply By: Diamond (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 12:18

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 12:18
i tried to do a google search on chit coulnt find any thing could you please explain.
They're the mob that have that chit you stick in your donk to 'de-sludge' the oil.
AnswerID: 109432

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:30

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 14:30
I think this is the link you want Jim
FollowupID: 366070

Follow Up By: Waynepd (NSW) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:19

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 20:19
What the????
Only if you want to change your oil into wine and share some fish and loaves bruce LOL......
FollowupID: 366108

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:13

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:13
LMAO! Im waitin for Jims reply!!!
FollowupID: 366125

Reply By: Neall - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 22:54

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 22:54
Roachie, In my experience having lots of accessories up front has lead to many 'overheating' complaints in the past.
Have you had your vehicle Dyno-tested / tuned to check correct power outputs, Air/Fuel Ratios etc?
The next time you are in Adelaide phone me at MTQ Engine Systems-Adelaide on 8243-2688 and I will book your vehicle on our Dyno (a couple of days notice) and we can check how well your vehicle is actually running and if we can rectify your o/heating complaint by tuning etc.(You would be able to wait for your vehicle 1-2 hours)
Even though our MTQ upgrade kit drops the pyro(exhaust) temperatures from 650-700+ deg down to around 530-540deg, I would not recommend fitting a turbo upgrade kit to cure o/heating complaints without making sure that the vehicle is running 100% correctly on a dyno etc. Hope this info helps you out.
Neal
AnswerID: 109544

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:37

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:37
Thanks Neal,
I had my GU tuned by Hi Tech diesel about 18 months ago. I believe they checked/adjusted the fuel pump, injectors and timing (that's what I paid them $800- for, so they's bloody-well better have done it!!!). They gave me a dyno report which showed a bit over 91kw @ the rear wheels, which the bloke said was above average for a 4.2 GU.

Pyro temps are something else.......my sender (thermocouple) is located just above the turbo in the neck of the manifold and I have NEVER registered temps as high as 600c to date......about 585c has been the most. I believe this is due to the full 3" exhaust system, but EGTs has been the one thing I have not had any concerns about since fitting the pyrometer. I will certainly arrange to get MTQ to do the next tune-up. Do you work there?

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 366178

Follow Up By: Neall - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:55

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:55
I am the manager for MTQ South Australia so let me know when you want to have your nissan checked out again.
Cheers Neal
FollowupID: 366300

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:35

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:35
Thanks Neal,
Noted and I will be in touch in due course....could be months though....
Cya
Roachie
FollowupID: 366503

Reply By: trippin around - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:47

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:47
Hi Roachie, was going to let you know about C E M but you beat me to it. Let us know how it goes please. Regards Bob H
AnswerID: 109617

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:37

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:37
Thanks Bob,
Will put up yet another post after I do a bit of driving/towing on the weekend.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 366505

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 00:30

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 00:30
here is the answer

from outerlimits.

ITEM:
Chev 6.2lt V8 Diesel

CONDITION:
Excellent Condition

REASON FOR SELLING:
Stripping the cruiser in my avator as have started on a new project. Not using this motor in new project.

PRICE AND PRICE CONDITIONS:
$5000.00 + freight if required

EXTRA INFO:
Originaly purchased (freshly rebuilt) from Brunswick Diesels for around $8000.00 (without any accessories). This motor would have less than 15000ks since its purchase.

Comes complete with electric fuel pump, adjustable glow plug timer, alternator, spare glow plugs(new in box) and power steer pump.

AnswerID: 109742

Sponsored Links