Rear wheel carrier

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 20:35
ThreadID: 22585 Views:2176 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Has anyone made their own rear wheel carrier?
I need one for a hilux and no company ( so im told in Perth ) makes one.I already have a good heavy duty rear bar with reece tow hitch.Any hints would be appreciated
Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:10

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:10
Graeme,

I built one years ago for an old short MQ, the one with the resin top. My car had extensive bar work including a bar runnig up the rear corners of the car and across the roof supporting the roof rack from the rear bumper. I swung the wheel carrier off this on a pair of hinges. It was built from one inch square tubing that I had lying around at the time and was pretty much like the framework for a gate. The spare was then mounted onto a spare wheel bracket I picked up at the local wreckers. Make sure the stud pattern matches yours beore taking it home. All this was held closed by an overcentre clamp from Universal Engineering at Marrickville.

Probably a better idea for you would be what a mate did.

He had a Landrover County which he had built a rear step for. It was a nice bit of gear, very solid. He mounted a stub axle on this, I think it was bolted on. Weld the thread from a towball onto the fat end of the axle poke it through the bar and do it up tight. I think. I'm not sure if he manufactured a hub himself or used one from a trailer and swung his wheel carrier off that using standard wheel bearings for the pivot. Again a spare wheel bracket welded to the framework carried the spare. He fitted it up with a few really nice touches like a stopper to prevent it swinging closed when parked on a slope and a remote release so he did not have to bend down and reach under the wheel to release it.

Mine was a little light but not this thing he could use it as a ladder to climb onto the roof rack.

The best place to get ideas is at the local car park or next time you are in a caravan park, check out what is on the cars you see around and make notes or take photos.

It is very satisfying to build something yourself. Even better if other people like it and want to copy it.

Let us know how you get on.
Duncs
AnswerID: 109325

Reply By: Member - Royce- Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:45

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:45
I built a twin setup on the SupaTrupa. I guess what I did with scrap, may not suit you or even apply to your vehicle. I had great fun building it. I can weld well enough for stuff to stay together, but it takes a fair bit of grinding to make it presentable [sort of]. I think the crucial thing is to consider stresses. Where will it fatigue and how can you support the wheel when it is locked in place. I used bearing hinges from Bunnings used in garden gates. I've bounced over a lot of corrugations since and to my amazement [touch wood etc] it's still holding together.
AnswerID: 109356

Reply By: db courier - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:13

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:13
hi graeme i built one on the courier mounted to the existing rear bar/step.
AnswerID: 109373

Reply By: db courier - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:17

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:17
hi graeme, i built one for the courier off the existing rear bar/step. just weld a piece of flat bar to the bar, weld stub axle to that and swing an rhs frame off the stub axle via some wheel bearings. i have seen a few made with just hinges or steel shaft/bronze bush but they seem to sag and are heavy to move.
AnswerID: 109376

Reply By: Drew - Karratha - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:12

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 10:12
G'day Graeme
A few years back I built a twin carrier for my 80 Series. I went to a trailer parts shop and bought hubs that I welded into the new rear step, and welded the stub axles onto the arms that hold the spares. So far it has survived various trips around the Pilbara, the GRR a couple of times, Kakadu etc... I even stuch a couple of Opposite Lock stickers onto it and was later asked by an Opposite Lock employee if it was one of their earlier models....
Drew
AnswerID: 109413

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 19:45

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 19:45
Have you tried K&N fabrications near the swan brewery? Bannister Rd
AnswerID: 109499

Sponsored Links