track thru Mulgaria to Farina

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:07
ThreadID: 22591 Views:2844 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Looking for a different way back to Adelaide after doing Googs Track in a couple of weeks and notice a "by permission" station track over the top of Lake Torrens through Mulgaria to Farina.

Has anyone gone this way before and can give any feedback? How open are the station owners to people travelling this way?

I'm considering heading from Glendambo up to Andamooka and through this track to the top of the Flinders and then possibly back through Chambers Gorge.

The long way around I know but the alternative is pretty boring going the short way back down the bitumen.

Any feedback or alternative suggestions appreciated

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mike - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:35

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:35
Yes Mate. Did the trip in 2003, it's a great little drive. You must ring the station for permission (can't remember the phone#) and pay $25 as you pass through. The track covers some diverse terrain, from rocky outcrops to deep sandhills. A really interesting drive which I would recommend to all. The Farina campground at the end of it is also terrific.

Enjoy the run.

Happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 109331

Follow Up By: Casnat - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:12

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:12
Thanks for your reply Mike,

how long do I need to allow roughly from Andamooka to Farina?

Are there spots along the way to camp if necessary? (It may be that we start this leg late in the day)

Cheers
Trevor
FollowupID: 365993

Follow Up By: Pluto - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:06

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:06
There's no problem doing it in a day, but there's good camping on the way, so don't feel pushed to get to Andamooka. There's some nice spots around Lake Arthur. I'm told that Stuart creek is worth a look in, but I haven't been through there.

There is a plot in Plotswap
that will take you straight past Lake Arthur.
FollowupID: 366001

Reply By: Earvin Johnson - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:51

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:51
We did this track last year, opposite direction which you are considering. The track was in good condition when we drove it.

As Mike said give the station owner a call first. We hung around for a while having a yak and checking out his solar set up. He also stated that they had found a number of fossils on the property in recent times, which end up in a SA museum from memory.

This was also the only place that we found the Sturt Desert Pea, much to the delight of our fellow traveller.

Enjoy
AnswerID: 109337

Reply By: Member - W.Wallace - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 13:06

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 13:06
You can grab a permit from the shop with the "bottle house" out the front in
Andamooka, for this track, so no need to ring the station if you're going the
Andamooka to Farina way. Probably take you 3-4 hours.
AnswerID: 109441

Sponsored Links