Prado replacement remote

Submitted: Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:38
ThreadID: 22592 Views:13147 Replies:9 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

My remote for the door locks has finally packed it in, the battery retainer has come away from the circuit board. I attempted to apply some solder but destroyed it more.

If I purchase a new one off the shelf from Toyota, am I able to programme it myself or is it best to let the dealer do this for me.

Am I able to pick up an after market one?

thanks

Jason
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:52

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 22:52
Don't know Toyota's all that well but even on a Camry you have to get it programmed by a dealer.

Take in the gold amex too. I've been told the one for our Subaru Forester is $300 supplied and programmed! I told the missus not to lose the keys or else.

Hopefully the Tojo one's a bit cheaper. Aftermarket probably won't be an option if it's linked in with the factory immobiliser and has rolling codes and the like it's definately not going to be.

Dave
AnswerID: 109338

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:48

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:48
No you don't, we have a Camry and the replacement key remote is $38.00 and you program it yourself our Camry has a slot in the glovebox for this purpose and also you can reprogram it to silent or beeps.

Ours is a 97 wide body Vienta.

Mate go to your local Toyota dealer and ask him, you'll be surprised.

Baz.
FollowupID: 366005

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 09:21

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 09:21
Stretching the memory now. My camry was about the same era as that but maybe I have my company cars mixed up. I had a few through the 90's. None of the bosses would let me have a fourby so I don't miss them. The fuel card was handy though.

I remember the slot in the glove box cos I turned the beeping off when you armed it. At least the key fobs are reasonably priced from what you say. I hope he's as lucky with the Playdough key.

The dealer probably programmed it for me and I assumed that was how it had to be done. Had to be done with a Tech 2 (now 3 I think) on the Commodore/Statesman. I didn't care enough to ask. While I was sitting in the dealership with a coffee waiting I wasn't out seeing customers.

Glad I don't work in sales any more. It wasn't my cup of tea.

Dave
FollowupID: 366020

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:23

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:23
I asked about a replacement for the Rover!!!!!!!!!! e'gad

As you said hope he has luck with the Prado

Baz.
FollowupID: 366033

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:02

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:02
Hi,

Have heard that the ECU has space to register the immobiliser codes for 5 keys including the 3 that come with the vehicle. So you can buy up to two new keys and have them registered with the vehicle computer by the dealer.

After that you need to replace the computer! Look after those keys people!!

This info applies to the current model Prado but may well be common across the Toyota range. Not sure if it applies to 90 series Prado. You did not say which model you have.
AnswerID: 109344

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:49

Monday, May 02, 2005 at 23:49
Sorry I missed the most important piece of info, its a 90 series Prado

Jason
AnswerID: 109357

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:33

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 07:33
You don't say whether you have a remote that is built into the key or whether it is separate.

Usually if you have one good remote or master key then it is reasonably inexpensive to buy a new one from your dealer but if you don't then you get into the exoensive stuff as you have to relace ECU's
AnswerID: 109380

Reply By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:02

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:02
G'day Jason,

try here
AnswerID: 109388

Reply By: old-plodder - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:04

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 08:04
Have heard of people having problems with these, and walking a long way in the bush to find a replacement. Urban myth is the bloke who went swimming with one in his pocket, and it shorted out.
Glad I just have an old fashioned bit of metal :-).
Some thing that has also worried me with these things is when the electronics in the car fails to recognise the key?
Is there a minimum voltage required in the car electronics for the entry system to work? What happens with a dead battery or major short while the vehicle is locked?
Is there a backup system? (I can hot wire the ignition on my car if I have too with a wire to the coil and a quick contact on the starter solenoid.)
It is one thing that has put me off trading in my old 4wd.
PS - I am not a ludlite, don't mind technology when it works or if it fails it doesn't become life threatening.
AnswerID: 109389

Follow Up By: geocacher (djcache) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 09:33

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 09:33
I remember Holden investigating a problem back in VP or VR days with cars that did very strange things in the Black Mountain Tower Carpark in ACT.

The more complex we make them the harder the problems to sort out!

The day will come (already has on some vehicles) when the mechanical bit of the key is no longer issued. AC Delco from the US predicted at GMH in the auditorium in the early '90s that cars wouldn't have keys by 1996 or so. Obviously customers still want keys cos it would save a fair bit of money not to have to fit lock and issue keys. (Ford cost cutting deleted the passenger side lock many years ago.) A key has a fairly finite and limited number of mechanical combinations and is fixed to one of them, and with wear and tear eventually the barrel on many locks will fit more than one of them. The electronic keys have a not quite but nearly infinite number and each fob is not only different but in many cases now each time you use the fob the combination is different to last time - and last times combination is no longer useable in an attempt to foil theives with scanners.

As for minimum voltage, yes there is but it will differ between vehicles. As long as we still have them the backup system is the key. Turn it and vehicle opens - even if only one door. Jump start the car and it charges - hopefully. Back in business.

I don't know what you do on a Merc or a Maxima (i think) with no "key".

Does anyone else know? I'm curious.

Dave

Dave
FollowupID: 366021

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:41

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:41
I went for a sail on a cat in Busselton with a mate. We got some rope tangled in one of the deep sea rudders so I jumped in the sea had a swim around and sorted out the problem, got back on the boat and realised I still had the imobiliser and car keys in my shorts pocket! :-(
3 hours later, the keys had dried out, car unlocked and started. Amazing...

Of course later that night it packed it in, but we were back at camp and we had access to the spare keys.

I unlocked the car with my spares (to disarm the alarm etc), grabed the CRC out opened the remote up and gave it a good spray, closed it up and it's the remote in my pocket right now, still works! (this happened in januray this year).
FollowupID: 366037

Reply By: Member - Steve (ACT) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:19

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:19
We had a problem with ours about a year ago (90 Prado), separate key and imobiliser/alarm.

Our just stopped working took it to Toyota and a few autoelectrician, all said the same thing bok it in we'll have to check out all the wiring, once we know the problem then fix it, might be quick and easy repair or a complicated expensive one, no one would give us a quote.

On the way home, Sandy suggested disconnecting the battery and reconnecting might work like rebooting a computer. Well we rang Toyota to let them know what we did and that we didn't need to book it in anymore.

Has worked faultlessly ever since. For those interested it stopped working right after a lightning storm, with a lot of strikes near our house. Not sure if that had something to do with it though!

Still have the instructions here somewhere for reprogramming the remote, actually was almost worth the hassle to see a young Toyota employee, follow the instructions, you have to get in and out of the car, press this and that, clap your hands stomp you feet. He must have tried at least three times.

Steve
AnswerID: 109421

Reply By: Member - Nick K (VIC) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:21

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:21
Jason,

yes you can program the unit you buy from Toyota by yourself. When my 90 series remote broke I went to Toyota, bought a new one and the guys programmed it for me. Have a look on the online Prado owners group. I know One of the guys have the doco on how to program the new remote. The group url is

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/90series/

Regards

Nick
AnswerID: 109423

Follow Up By: Member - bushfix - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:31

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 11:31
...as per my post above..:)
FollowupID: 366035

Follow Up By: Member - Nick K (VIC) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:23

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:23
Sorry Bushy did not see the link. I also pointed Jason to the Yahho Prado group totaly forgot about Lcool.

Nick
FollowupID: 366079

Reply By: Jason (macca) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 13:42

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 13:42
Thanks very much for the link to the site. I appreciate your time

Jason
AnswerID: 109442

Follow Up By: Member - Nick K (VIC) - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:23

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 15:23
Jason,

Dont mention it. Thats what we are here for.

Regards

Nick
FollowupID: 366080

Sponsored Links