Gas connections

Submitted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 21:54
ThreadID: 22624 Views:8812 Replies:12 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived

I am having problems getting fittings for my gas connections.
I have a camper trailer with the gas bottle on side at the rear, my camper kitchen pulls out from the camper and is held up by legs.

Presently I have to remove the gas bottle when I want to use my gas stove.
The stove is a two burner, like a primus, but I am unsure. And I wanted to put a connector in where the tail light is so it is permanently attached to the gas bottle, and then get a extention on my hose from the stove which srews into the tail light area, and this is uscrewed when I need to slide the kitchen back into the trailer.

Hope someone can help me

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wilgadene - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 22:12

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 22:12
When I got my trailer built they told me if I did something like that I would need a gas certificate and inspections (yearly, I think. etc. They trailer builder weren't qualfied (gas plumbers) I ended up getting a long hose and fittings from barbeques galore and fitted it up so it was just a matter of screwing the hose onto the stove end once set up. The hose sits in the storeage part under the stove when not in use.

AnswerID: 109535

Follow Up By: shawie - Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 23:18

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 at 23:18

That sounds what I need, do you have a regulator on your bottle as I think I have a low pressure stove?

FollowupID: 366158

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:09

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:09
What's inside a regulator?
FollowupID: 366168

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:09

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 07:09
Being an experienced gasfitter myself (not) I joined two gas hoses with one of those barbed brass tubular connectors that slides inside the end of each hose, and put hose clamps arond each side. Now I have a very long hose that runs from the gas bottle on either side of the trailer to wherever I set up the stove. I am sure a real gas fitter would vomit if they saw how its done, but it has worked for many years.
AnswerID: 109562

Follow Up By: shawie - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:41

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:41

Because it is high pressure gas I would like to do it safely.

Thanks anyway

FollowupID: 366214

Reply By: John - Qld - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:47

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 08:47
We are fitting a spear type fitting to our camper soon.

No more screwing/unscrewing every stop. Just 'plug n play'. A lifesaver says the boss. Maybe this will suit.

We have 2 bottles - 1 for hot water - 1 for stove - with this new setup they are plumbed to run off one so added advantage there is always a spare.

AnswerID: 109572

Follow Up By: shawie - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:38

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:38

This sounds great, where do you get them from.

FollowupID: 366212

Follow Up By: John - Qld - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:32
I'll find out - I don't know much at this stage except 2 people I know have had it done. Parts easily avlb. Getting it done in a couple of weeks. I'm sure a gas fiiter would know about the spear thingo. the rest is just plumbing.
FollowupID: 366237

Reply By: Wilgadene - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:04

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:04
Yes, had to have a regulator in mine. If I don't the pressure will prevent the stove valves opening / shutting , usually staying open with gas going everywhere. As the other forumites say, you can mix and match to get to where you want, even to the point of putting a rubber grommet / seal (to stop dust and water and abraison) through the side of the trailer near your bottle. You can get stainless braided hoses if you are worried about the rubber ones being a bit fragile. Hope this helps.

AnswerID: 109593

Follow Up By: Wilgadene - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:12

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 11:12
Just to add a bit more, I 've been told that by using hoses (able to remove them by undoing a few clips and connectors) then it is OK. You may only need gas certificates if it's plumbed in like a caravan stove/fridge (gas pipe etc). Maybe some of the other guys can help with this? to find out if that is fact or fiction.


FollowupID: 366192

Reply By: derraux - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:07

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:07
I cant work out if you have a high or low presure stove if high you cannot extend the hose more than 1200mm, legally and if you do you will have lots of problems with your stove, If low pressure you can buy hoses up to 2500mm of the shelf you can also buy screw type joiners and join 2 hoses together, Check with your local camping store, they should be able to show you .
AnswerID: 109630

Follow Up By: shawie - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:11

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 22:11

Ive been told I have a high pressure stove as I don't need a reg, therefore I can't have a join between the stove and the bottle.

Can buy a hose 2-3 metres long, think I might go that way for around $30

FollowupID: 366498

Follow Up By: derraux - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 11:29

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 11:29
Running a high pressure stove with a hose longer than 1200mm is not advisable. I also believe ilegal
If you do not turn the bottle off and burn the gas out of the line every time you use the stove you will get a liquid build up in the line this will either A) block the jets in the stove or B) create flames about 100 times larger than normal.
Because the pressure is not regulated out of the bottle as the gas in the line cools down it condenses to liquid the gas cyl being at the highest pressure pumps more gas into the line this will hapen over the corse of the night mainly the end result the whole line is full of gas.
My father has owned a camping store for 20 years so im not leading you down the garden path my advise to you is do not extend your hose more than 1200mm (std replacement hose) or you WILL have trouble, I know it possible is a pain in your situation but it is the safest thing to do.
FollowupID: 366580

Reply By: Geoff- Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 20:14
In Melb the place to go for LPG fittings/hoses is Barbeques Plus, Hall St Spotswood.

AnswerID: 109687

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:19

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:19
I had the same problem and my gas guy said I'd have to go to a low pressure stove. Did so for $35 and the cost of the reg. Then I could couple the hose as you want to do with a bayonet fitting. Also I now avoid the "gelling up" in the hose and jets(which permanently blocks the jets) if I leave pressure in the line overnight.
AnswerID: 109699

Follow Up By: shawie - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:33

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:33

I am still a bit confused about this low and high pressure.

I have a 2 burner stove similar to a primus, I can attach it directly to a 9kg gas bottle without a reg, which I assume is High presure and I can't lengthen the hose.

If I use a reg this wouldn't work with this type of stove, therfore I require a low pressure stove, which the gas dealer recond they were big bucks, is this right or is he pulling my leg.


FollowupID: 366772

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 15:24

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 15:24
I'm a gas fitter but don't work with caravans trailers etc and am reluctant to give specific technical advice for public liability reasons. The gas regs don't seem to cover trailers but do have specific regs for caravans. These also vary for caravans that have the gas cylinder connected whilst the caravan is moving and those which are connected only when stationary. It's these gray areas that make working in transportables and boats a specialist area IMO. I'd be seeking advice from the caravan/ camper builders who work in this field.

From AG 601 "Non metallic hoses have to meet AZ/NZS 1969 Claas C and have fittings to AS 1722.1." Even I don't know what that means after 25 years in the industry.

"Max length of hose to an appliance is 1.2m (secrtion" "Restriction of use of a hose assembly as consumer piping.
The use of a hose assembly as consumer piping is restricted as follows:
(a) The installation is to have one appliance only
(b)The hose assembly is to be in one continuous length from the outlet of the cylinder regulator to the inlet of the appliance."

There are heaps of other clauses regarding supporting the hose, where it can and can't be located etc. If an unlicensed person uses an non approved hose/fitting you can probably say goodbye to any insurance on your trailer or caravan if something does go wrong.

AnswerID: 110039

Reply By: flappa - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 15:51

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 15:51
I know a couple of people who have done that , but it was done professionally by a licenced Gas fitter.

Me , I gave up. I prefer to be able to access the gas bottle quickly and easily (in case of emergency) , then having to run around outside the CANVAS tent . . . to find the shutoff valve.

A Quick release gas bottle clip would speed things up.
AnswerID: 110041

Reply By: Shaker - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:06

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 16:06
LPG snap on fittings similar to air hose fittings are available from Bunnings.
AnswerID: 110044

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:34

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:34
Hi again, Shawie,
The advice and fittings I use I got from a specialist portable gas store in Adelaide called Maxbuilt. The guy has been in business for 30yrs.
My low pressure burner stove has two burners which run hotter than the ones I previously had and which were like your primus type. The unit aint particularly pretty as it is in an iron framework and is painted black but for 30 bucks I didn't mind. It requires a reg.
My problem was that the previous owner of my trailer had the gas bottle fitted inside which to my mind is a No No!. So I wanted to fit the bottles outside and have a 2m hose. Apperently 1.2m is the limit for high pressure so he suggested I convert. It also meant I could use a gas bayonet fitting which yes as somebody else has suggested is like an airhose fitting.
I don't like to mess with gas too much so I always get advice and fittings from someone who specialises in that area, which I did in this case. Costs more but I figure that a fire and the cook getting burnt in the bush is too horrific to contemplate.
Now I have exactly what I want, I had the fun of fitting it in my existing kitchen and it works a treat.
There are very expensive low pressure stoves with ovens avaiable and I was tempted to fit one but it would not fit into the existing unit and the gas bloke didn't have one so I went with the $30 option. I have recently seen the same burner set up in an Italian food and hardware store and my mate from the Riverland here in SA uses one for camp cooking which he does part time on a professional basis.
Anyway that's my experience.
Best of luck with the quest,
AnswerID: 110351

Follow Up By: shawie - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:53

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:53

It would be good to see a couple of photos if you could, of the kitchen and gas settup if possible.

FollowupID: 366888

Reply By: Member - Camper (SA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:39

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 23:39
I'd like to be able to send you some photos Shawie but I have none and anyway I don't feel confident of my pooter skills to do so .
AnswerID: 110564

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (9)