Sandfly-Proof Tent Mesh

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 13:52
ThreadID: 22644 Views:13868 Replies:7 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know of where I can buy a good quality (heavy Duty) Sandfly-Proof Mesh that I can get sewen into the windows and door of my tent?? The tent is a Great Outdoors Drysdale which is excellent except the fact that it only has flywire mesh on the door and windows. I am in Karratha, W.A....
Thanks
Drew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wizard1 - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:34

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:34
I travelled your part of the world a few years ago camped at one of the many seaside camping areas and wished I had midgie and sandfly proof screens on my caravan. The !@#$ers get into every where.

Most major camping suppliers usually carry replacement screen material in rolls for tents such as Ranger Camping, Perth. If not they should be able to put you onto someone. The other option is try manufacturers of swags. There are plenty on the internet and few in Perth.

We'll be going through a similar exercise to replace the van screens before our next trip.

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 109616

Follow Up By: cokeaddict - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:08

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:08
Wouldnt this be a better option to have when ordering a camper trailer ? Reading what you said, I'd sure have it replace the standard fry screen stuff they use. You never know where you may end up travelling. Ill check with some suppliers and see what they recomend.
Ange
FollowupID: 366222

Reply By: Footloose - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:27

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:27
Hi Drew, didn't even know that they made the stuff. Live and learn.
Years ago I was out fishing with some of the locals at night on the Mary River. I was bitten badly and asked them what they used to repel the mozzies and sandflies.
They replied "why we move too fast to get bitten mate, not like you tourists" AARRRGHHH !!
AnswerID: 109625

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:36

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 15:36
2 Years ago I camped for one night at Shady camp. If I try to take the girlfriend camping there again I think I will be single.... This year we camped at Woolianna on the Daly. Nothing like Shady camp but we still ended up sleeping in sandfly-proof dome tents inside the main tent which is a pain..
FollowupID: 366224

Reply By: normc - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:16

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:16
Haven't used the sand fly proof mesh, but I've been told that it is so fine, you barely get any air flow. Unfortunately most of the areas with midgies also have stifling heat. A couple of camper trailer manufacturers I have spoken to say it is better to use standard mesh and lots of repellent. I suspect their view is you can use a second line of defence (repellent) against the midgies, but not against the heat.

But I have no personal no experience on this yet although I live on the Gold Coast where there are plenty of midgies. Most repellents work well.

I have a camper trailer on order and have not specified what sort of mesh I want. I'm therefore interested in the thoughts of others with real experience with the midgie proof netting.
AnswerID: 109633

Follow Up By: Coops (WA) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 02:13

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 02:13
I would dispute the air flow fact as neither my swag or camper gives me any such issue.
Mesh is fine enough that sand will gather in your swag so air flow isn't an obvious problem either.
Hope this helps
FollowupID: 366321

Reply By: niikki - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:45

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:45
Hi Drew,
I have what they call "sandfly mesh" on my camper trailer windows and door... I thought i would be safe from the little biters but no....they invaded the inside of my camper by hitch hiking on my body and clothes....
Hope you find a mesh that is sandfly proof...
peace...
niikki
AnswerID: 109654

Follow Up By: normc - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:20

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:20
Hi nikki, does the fine mesh limit the air flow, or is this not a problem?
normc
FollowupID: 366264

Follow Up By: niikki - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:50

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:50
Hi Drew,
No the fine mesh has no effect on the air flow through the tent area, just a note though.... if you only have say 1 or 2 windows i advise to get another 1 or 2 put in as up the cape you want as much of that breeze to get in as possible..
David in the following post has something new and any thing that can protect you and your family from the bities of cape york is well worth a look...
Peace...
niikki
FollowupID: 366406

Reply By: A-TREK CAMPING HIRE - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:26

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:26
G'day Drew, i own a canvas fabriction business here in Brisbane and we use a product in our camper trailers called 'Finetex', it's actually been designed for midgees ( sand flies ), it is a PVC coated poyester which makes it very strong, you should be able to get from most canvas places on your side of the country, hope this helps, if you need any other info you can contact me through my web site: www.atrekcamping.com.au or email me at atrekcamping@ozemail.com.au.
Regards, David.
AnswerID: 109676

Follow Up By: A-TREK CAMPING HIRE - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:29

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:29
Forgot to mention, as far as ventilation, it is true, it does reduce ventilation but only marginally, regards, David.
FollowupID: 366267

Follow Up By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:41

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:41
David from A-TREK u also forgot to mention that the stresses and creases from folding "Finetex" when used in a ct or tent shortens its life severely to the point of being next to useless.
FollowupID: 366271

Follow Up By: A-TREK CAMPING HIRE - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:47

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:47
G'day Undertaker, thanks for the feedback, i'm not sure whether your thinking of a same product to what i had mentioned, i've been using 'Finetex' in my camper trailer hire fleet for many years, the campers get folded & unfolded well over 100 times a year, which is probably about 90% more than the average camper on his weekend jaunt to the bush or beach, they get folded & unfolded in all varying weather conditions, from snow to tropical heat, from rain to dust, salt spray on the beach, i've never had a window or door screen fail or look like failing, i do agree, there was a cheeper product that some suppliers were passing off as 'Finetex', it has a mat black finish, it used to crease up quite considerably, i did use this on a couple of hire trailers, but they were sold off a few years ago, i haven't used this mesh now for about 4 or 5 years, not that the mesh failed, i just didn't like the mat finish, the finetex i use has a gloss black finish & is very flexible yet very strong, if you contact me on the above email with your address, i'd be happy to send you a sample.
Regards, David.
FollowupID: 366287

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:33

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:33
On our old ct ,[the one in the rig pic] we had the so called midge/sandfly proof mesh on all windows and doors , save your money , get "no seeum mesh" is stronger/lets the breeze thru and keeps the sandflies/midges/mozzies out as good as anything else ,use Bushmans for any stray intruders.,,works for us in the new ct.
AnswerID: 109677

Reply By: Mick - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 23:26

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 23:26
I thought all Australian made tents used sand fly proof mesh as they use it as a selling point. Maybe yours is an import? Just find a local tent manufacturer and they'll be able to fix it. I have it on my Southern Cross tent but they're made in Melbourne - a bit far away for you. No problems with ventilation, including up north, and most important, no problems with sand flies!!
AnswerID: 109731

Follow Up By: Drew - Karratha - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:17

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:17
THe Great Outdoors - Made in NZ....
FollowupID: 366346

Sponsored Links