Rav 4 clearance

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:06
ThreadID: 22654 Views:9363 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
hi can anyone give me some advice on a lift kit or bigger tyres for a rav 4 went up to double island and got bogged any suggestions thanks have been told that a lift kit only raises the body not the chassis so they said i would be wasting my money.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bytemrk - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:30

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:30
Others may disagree, but I have to say that a lift kit for a Rav4 would seem like a total waste of money.

While they a great little car - they are NOT a full on 4 wheel drive - no low range means that you have to live with some limitations. If you go places they are not designed for you will get bogged - or the car will break.

When you were bogged - what sorts of tyre pressures were you running?

Knowing the capabities of your vehicle and driver and appropriate driving methods for particular situations is far more valuable that bolt on lift kits and bigger tyres.. IMHO.

I hope I do not sound too negative - I just think if you drive a soft roader style 4x4 you need to understand it's limitations - for your own safety and that of others.
AnswerID: 109638

Follow Up By: rum pig - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:24

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:24
Thanks for your reply. I have been up DI 3 times before with no troubles last long weekend was very busy no trouble getting on the beach or over the blow to Rainbow side but getting back over the blow was another story i should have got out and checked where i should have went but being so busy didnt want to hold every one up and yes i broke the rule off not staying out off the rutts. (bit hard if you saw the beach) i didnt let the tyres down as i really thought that would actually lower me more. My dad pulled me back and made me get the car over the blow which i did do. Other then getting bogged i love my Rav am more than happy with it. Thanks again.
FollowupID: 366266

Follow Up By: Bytemrk - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:44

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:44
You're welcome Rum pig, When I re read my comments I thought I might have come over a bit harsh - glad you can see it was intended to HELP!

Sounds like you understand the capability of the vehicle well... and like all of us sometimes - just got stuck!... I'm sure softer tyres would have helped..

Being a southerner I do not know that area well - I have come across a few softroaders - Rav4 and Outback .. were 2 examples I came across in areas of the Vic high country they simply should have been in the places I found them.These guys just didn't understand that they were in fact putting themselves in danger as the vehicles are not built to handle the sort of stuff they were trying.

I thought you might be in the same boat.... but I was obviously wrong!

Have fun.... and next time remember... air down!

Cheers, Mark
FollowupID: 366286

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:17

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:17
Bytemrk

"If you go places they are not designed for you will get bogged"

"I just think if you drive a soft roader style 4x4 you need to understand it's limitations - for your own safety and that of others."

Dont these comments apply to all vehicles ?..or am I wrong?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 366295

Follow Up By: rum pig - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:36

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 20:36
thanks to everyone for the comments really appreciate the feedback
stay happy
(Rum Pigs Daughter) Debbie

FollowupID: 366468

Follow Up By: Bytemrk - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 23:28

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 23:28
Greg,

You are Absolutely right.... All vehicles have there limits and pushing those can be dangerous...

I was just trying to point out that a softroader will NOT go where a full dual range Fourby will... ( Assuming similar driver skill)

But much more importantly the knowledge of the driver and ability to apply it .... will make MUCH more impact than bolting on big tyres... or a suspesion lift.

Rum pig sounds like he had a good time and learned from the experience..... That's what it's all about.... so I hope I didn't ruffle any feathers.... Just had to tow out 1 too many dills that got into trouble assuming there soft roader could handle any terrain ( just like the ads show!)

Like debbie said... stay happy!!
Mark
FollowupID: 366522

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 00:02

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 00:02
Mark - no worries your comments are 100% correct when taken in context - just trying to clarify a few points. Also keep in mind (while I hate name calling) that there are one or two "dills" driving around in "full dual range Fourby" vehicles as well.
Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 366527

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 00:02

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 00:02
PS...I may be one of them:)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 366528

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:57

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 16:57
The Rav should do most of what you want to do on the beach.
Although the ruts at the cuttings up there can be bad at times, clearance is only a small part of it (if at all).
Next time you go to DI just let your tyres down to about 18PSI or so.
It sometimes helps to put some extra weight in the back if you are still having trouble eg. a really full esky or an esky full of sand. (I know of guys who put sandbags in the back and use their 2wd's quite effectively.)

If you are running low profiles ... don't bother.

The keys to sand driving are quite simple ... momentum, tyre pressure and, in some circumstances, weight distribution.

In between 4wd's a number of years ago I drove all around DI and Rainbow etc (yes, in the ruts and the soft sand) in a standard 2wd Toyota Tarago without getting bogged just following those three principles.

Have fun
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 109646

Follow Up By: Bytemrk - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:15

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 17:15
I couldn't agree more Oskar.

While I do not know the area at double Island I have seen it again and again. -The right technique will get a vehicle far further than any number of bolts ons - ESPECIALLY in the sand!

I saw a guy at Robe with his GU Patrol sitting on the chassis rails - seriously bogged and digging deeper..... at the same time an old guy in his XE falcon ute drove straight past.!!...... He pulled over on a rocky headland.... got out showed the Patrol owner to LET HIS TYRES DOWN!.... and they both drove away !

1 patrol owner slightly more knowledgable!

It's how you use your gear ... not what you have that gets you to the best places in Aus!
FollowupID: 366236

Follow Up By: Exploder - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 18:47

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 18:47
Know exactly what you mean seen some ford Ute’s do some amazing stuff.

Bloody falcon Ute they will go just about anywhere.
FollowupID: 366253

Follow Up By: rum pig - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:37
Thanks for your reply. please read my follow up to bytemrk. the beach was in a very bad state very soft and deep ruts. next time i will let my tyres down. it was very hard to get momentum happening due to the 4x4s on the beach. Thanks for your advice.
FollowupID: 366270

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 19:05
The trouble with bigger tyres is you will lose more of your low gears for anything even a little difficult, and with no low range ..... big trouble.. If you want to build something radical for the street,, hey,, could look great!!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

AnswerID: 109671

Reply By: hoyks - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:14

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:14
A guy over on Overlander has a Rav 4 and he has had it lifted (about 70mm) and put some bigger BFG rubber under it too. Goes like a cut cat on sand and has shown up some more capable vehicles too. Even snatched me out of a bogg once but we try not to mention that.

Have a look at page 3 for the before and after pictures Rav link
AnswerID: 109698

Follow Up By: hoyks - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 19:46

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 19:46
Also saw a OME suspension kit advertised in 4x4 Australia to suit a Rav 4.
FollowupID: 366456

Reply By: The Explorer - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:31

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:31
Hello - did hear of a 2" lift kit for Rav (old model) available from one of the major players but cant remeber who (TJM, ORE or OL??) - a few phone calls may help.
Have Fun --I do
Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 109702

Sponsored Links