Wolfies quantum leap....

Submitted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:29
ThreadID: 22668 Views:2114 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
... not the leaping Wolf we had when going from Cubs to Scouts!

You may recall, I had posted about updating our operating systems on our Macs to 10.4 Tiger, and that I have installed Airport Extreme on all of the machines.

Well, it just jets better. For quite a few years, we have been waiting for Telstra to update the Pair Gain system in our area, so we can access ADSL. It has finally happened!

My son Mark, has been keeping an ever vigilant eye on the big green box around the corner from us, and had noticed a serial number change stencilled onto it. He quickly got in touch with an ISP, and pre booked an ADSL line, as there are only 48 lines available. We've got the modem & filters, just waiting for the nod from the ISP.

What is really good, is that there is an internet music download site, in a few countries around the world, known as Apple iTunes. We have been waiting for around 3 years for this to become available here in Australia. Looks like maybe a couple of weeks away now, so all you guys with iPods, you can browse through the store, and but individual tracks, or the whole album, and it's all above board & legal. I'll be browsing & downloading at blistering speeds!!!

Knowing my luck, all this will happen whilst I'm away for a while, all this new technology entering Wolfies household, and I'm gonna miss it, 'cause I'm going to be soooo far away from phones & stuff..........

I must admit though, the care factor is really very close to zero. Somehow the sweet hum of my computer is going to be no match for the hum of the flies........

So, the Lone Wolf will soon become Lightning Wolf. Going to places no other wolf has gone before.

No more will my poor old mum berate me for not being able to get through to me on the phone....( they have an aversion to calling mobiles ).

This is Lone Wolf reporting in Adelaide, on the fast disappearing 56 k dial up internet......
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: conman - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:38

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:38
Hey Wolfie,

Don't know if its any use to anyone, but just by changing my browser from IE6 to Mozilla, My dial up is about 5 times faster, especially with this site. No more waiting for pages to load, it's almost instant.
Id recommend it to anyone.
AnswerID: 109705

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:53

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:53
Have to agree, even sped up my 512k adsl.
FollowupID: 366288

Follow Up By: Member - Blue (VIC) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:58

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 21:58
For you conman(if you are not already aware) and you too Wolfie, if applicable...

More Fire Fox Browser Tweaks

You can speed up FireFox by doing the following...

Type "about:config" (without the quotes wise guy) into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

Old Tweaks

Quote:
network.http.pipelining (set to true)
network.http.proxy.pipelining (set to true)
network.http.pipelining.maxrequests (set to 30)

Lastly create a NEW entry. Right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" (again, without the quotes wise guy) and set its value to "0".

New Tweaks

Quote:
network.http.max-connections (set to 48)
network.http.max-connections-per-server (set to 16)
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-proxy (set to 16)
network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server (set to 8)

FollowupID: 366289

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:03

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:03
yeh conman and Blue I like it too, not the old Netscape just heaps better and not the IE problems.........
FollowupID: 366291

Follow Up By: Scubaroo - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:05

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 22:05
Thanks for the Firefox tips!
FollowupID: 366292

Reply By: age - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 07:16

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 07:16
I feel so sorry for you guys whom are just getting ADSL now - we just upgraded to 1.5Mbps ADSL2 - Can download a 5Mb song in less than 20 seconds. You will never want to go back to 56k EVER

Good luck with your ISP and happy downloading.
AnswerID: 109749

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 08:58

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 08:58
ADSL 2 ??
What is that ?
FollowupID: 366337

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 09:07

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 09:07
I was happy to change to ISDN, too far from the exchange for ADSL until they develop and market a repeater system...............
FollowupID: 366339

Follow Up By: Swine Hunter - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:08

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 15:08
I feel very sorry for anyone who is just getting their first taste of broadband, particularly ADSL/2. I have had cable for about 4 years now, and it operates at uncapped network speed, up to 2MBp/s.

I frequently get d/l speeds of 3-500kb from local sites, and from good os sites 2-400kb
I can usually d/l from a good server 20MB of data per minute.

Hope you Enjoy it Wolfie
FollowupID: 366399

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:18

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 08:18
yer I agree ADSL, is that some sort of tropical skin abrasion?
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 366545

Reply By: age - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 09:16

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 09:16
iMusty

ADSL2 is the latest and next level of ADSL offered by some ISP's (Particularly TPG at very cheap rates - all should go there soon). Speed is vastly improved - most ISP's still offer 256Kbs. ADSL2 1.5Mbps is 6 times faster than this again. No new special hardware needed. Most existing ADSL modems can cope with the speed change which is upgraded at your ISP.

Can download full DVD movies in about 25-30 minutes
AnswerID: 109771

Reply By: MrBitchi - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:32

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 10:32
Wolfie, Wolfie, Wolfie, when will you ever learn?

Tiger? Apple must be taking a leaf out of Microsoft's book on this one. We can't install it here at work, (don't use it at home!) cause it breaks all the pre-press apps we use. All the vendors are forced into yet another version update to run on Tiger.....

iTunes... Ever heard of DRM? (digital rights managment) When you purchase from iTunes the song is keyed to your iPod, which means this is the only device it will play on. iPod goes tits up, (average ipod seems to last 2-3 years) you buy another one, your old songs don't play....

If you really want to stick with a none mainstream OS go with Linux. At least it's free... ;--)

Happy downloads.....

Cheers, John.
AnswerID: 109787

Follow Up By: Wombat - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:40

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 11:40
Hmmm I was thinking of updating to Tiger, now you have thrown me into a tizz. What pre-press applications does it affect? Photoshop, Quark, Illustrator, Acrobat, Indesign, Keynote, MassTransit? Any advice GREATLY APPRECIATED.
FollowupID: 366359

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:55

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 13:55
I think most of the issues we have are to do with Suitcase. It seems everytime there's an OS upgrade suitcase breaks. Also there's the impending release of iDesign 2 incorporating Acrobat 7 which will no doubt break our Apogee system (:--(

Back on the upgrade merry go round.....

The main Desktop Apps should be OK (I hope)

Cheers, John.

gawk; grep; unzip; touch; finger; mount; fsck; gasp; yes; umount; sleep!!
FollowupID: 366389

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:20

Thursday, May 05, 2005 at 12:20
they dont want your custom....
i was checking to telstra site to see if they had any details or info on when adsl2 will be available...none...so was checking out pricing again to see if i could justify upgrading from 512adsl to 1500adsl....nope too dear

looking around i came across "check to see if cable is available" so i did...
have got no idea how long its been available...but it certainly wasnt last time i checked... mid to late last year i think.....
If they didnt tell me i wonder how many others in the street they didnt tell....

they use the rool out that went up several yrs ago.
AnswerID: 109802

Sponsored Links