CB radio installation

Submitted: Friday, May 06, 2005 at 21:42
ThreadID: 22727 Views:8342 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I know very little about UHF radios but have just purchased a cheapie on ebay (an old Uniden) which I want to install in my Patrol. I need to get an antenna + coax I know. My research leads me to something like a DB6 6db pretuned 830mm ground independent antenna. Any comments on that? (don't take my quoting of such things as any indication that I know what I am talking about....and it may well be wrong anyway....hopefully you can help direct me)

In terms of installation in the vehicle am I kidding myself that (apart from finding somewhere to mount the unit) it is only a matter of connecting the power source and the antenna?

Is there a resource where I can get installation instructions / diagrams etc?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Please let me know if there are any "traps for young players" that I can avoid.

Trevor
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Friday, May 06, 2005 at 22:21

Friday, May 06, 2005 at 22:21
Installation is a piece of cake. Don't pay to get it done. Yes it is as simple as wiring power/earth and arial. Best bet is to go straight to the battery.I have mine mounted in the overhead console but its simple to install almost anywhere you want it. 6db is fine but you may also want to get a little rubber arial for convoy and hills. Hope this helps and i am sure there are wiser people than me who can help too.
AnswerID: 110098

Reply By: V8troopie - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 00:12

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 00:12
Just make sure the coax cable to the antenna is of the 50 ohm variety. The TV coax cable (75 Ohm) is no good, even if it looks almost the same.
Also, when you run the coax cable do not kink it or force around sharp bends.
Klaus
AnswerID: 110109

Reply By: Member - RockyOne - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 08:23

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 08:23
A smaller antenna like the GME Polo mounted on roof or roof rack in the almost folded position (to avoid tree damage) will give better ALL ROUND coverage than a 6 foot (2m) one on the bull bar that wont "cover yer rear" abnyway.
AnswerID: 110124

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 09:06

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 09:06
In my view.....As others have indicated, installation is not a big issue - power to the unit via a fuse - solid earthing to the chassis or back to the battery pole (two schools of thought on that).
The antenna factors are quite an issue though - of all the options, it seems an antenna that has tips that interchange, giving you something like 3db (for a fat signal in undulating terrain) to a 6db for longer fllatter comms in open country, is best. There are a lot of options with atennas, but I have settled on this combo for now - seems good. I use a GME elevated feed base (looks like an ally tube on the bull bar - the tube is about 200mm high - the coax is sort of peramently fixed within - comes out the bottom).
This antenna works best on the roof centre, but in my view is somewhat impractical there (snagging etc) - it still works a treat on the bullbar, and is safer there. NOTE - Soldering the end plug (PL-259) onto the coax (radio end) requires care - not one fine strand of the the shielding must contact the centre wire - be particular ! You can check the circuits (shield and centre) with a meter or test light after this soldering - just to be sure.
AnswerID: 110132

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:28

Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 20:28
I've used the ground independant bases that use the PL259 thread. Don't have to worry about the elevated feed etc, so it can sit pretty low on the roof and changing aerials is a breeze. I also use a gutter mounted fold-down bracket, so unlikely to damage my bigger aerial if it hits something.

Like Banjo says, the PL259 plug as it enters the set, must be carefully spliced and soldered - shorting out here is the usual cause of a scratchy radio and poor range.!MPG:8!

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 110216

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 02:56

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 02:56
Although there is a saying in radio communications "height is might", ground plane independant aerials do not need to be in the centre of the vehicle, or have a solid steel platform.
The idea of the elevated feed is so you don't have to mount it on the roof.

In the patrol, a good place to mount a UHF is on the rear of the centre console. Hard to see from outside the vehicle, within reach for any adjustments, which are rare, mic cable can come up through hand brake cavity.
AnswerID: 110258

Sponsored Links