the boat for me ???

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2274 Views:2304 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
need advise am 64 just bought new pajero deisel and have a caravan. now i fancy a boat but have just had bypass operation so thinking of kyak or sea kyak. would love to use on lakes and rivers . for exercise and getting to different places to take photographs ( black and white nut ) what do you suggest. have never been in a canoe but do not get seasick. need something light to lift onto car by my self . regards peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: bruce - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
hi peter , I can relate to that..take it easy for a while..I use a tinnie , it is a lttle heavy..40kgs , but I have a wife to assist me..but there are plenty of lighter ones around and fairly cheap ..a small light weight o/b wont cost the earth either , 4hp should push you along o.k. , we use a 6hp with the 2 of us in the boat and that does the job quite well . I can put the boat up on the Falcon wagon by myself but the extra hands make it a lot easier. cheers bruce
AnswerID: 8138

Reply By: Janset - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Peter.

Good for you.

Now, you mentioned a kayak or sea kayak. I think you will find that these boats are in fact are quite heavy as they are made mostly of fibreglass and because of their shape are very awkward things to man-handle to the roof of the Pag.

As suggested, go for a light weight tinnie as they a lighter and have a square transom which make it easier to flip the boat over to the inverted position on the roof.

My advice here is make sure you have a good solid roof rack onto which you can mount a few rollers, particularly to the front and the rear.

Onto the bullbar mount a lightweight winch, throw the cable over the roof and down the back, face transom toward the tailgate of the Pag.
The boat has to be upright and the cable connected to the bow of the boat.

All you now have to do it crank the winch and stop the boat from moving toward the back of the Pag. With a bit of assistance or practice you should be able to flip the tinnie onto the transom either manually of with the aid of the winch and winch away, the rollers will do the rest.

Regards
AnswerID: 8145

Reply By: Truckster - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

what about a small Zodiac?? They couldnt weight much at all.

Light, small (when you let them down!) and simple to move around, and LIGHT(arent they?)....
AnswerID: 8149

Follow Up By: Janset - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Hi there.

Yes Truckster they are a great boat, BUT!

I have had 2, the first was a very lightweight version with a soft floor about 8 ft and the O/B was mounted onto a frame on the rear. Good for very slow putting around (no m ore that 4 hp) but nothing more as the size of the motor was restricted in capacity due to the bracket and the suction caused to the inflated floor as speed increased.

Reasonably light, but took considerable to inflate and clip the O/B bracket on. About 15 to 20 minutes. The brand was (I hope the spelling is correct, a Seyvlor).

The second was a Dolphin 9 footer with and inflatable keel and solid ply floor. This was capable of taking a 20Hp motor and it went like the clappers and handled like a dream, but again this took (about twice as long) to inflate and the installation of the ply floor could only be described as a BITCH.

As to weight, well put it this way, I am an able bodied man who works out with weights, but for me to get it up onto the roof rack it was quite a job, but it really was a damn nice boat :)

Regards
FollowupID: 3856

Follow Up By: Janset - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Just a thought I forgot to mention. I found that inflatables are not the easiest of things to row and awkward to manhandle, and they definitely do not like fish hooks or being dragged over coral or sharp rocks.
As a matter of interest I am 58 years young, I mention this just for the sake of comparison :)
Regards
FollowupID: 3868

Reply By: Member - Melissa - Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00

Hi Peter,

The question of what boat to get should relate to your needs as much as your ability to handle it. Yes, you can get nice light weight tinnies, but don't forget you need a motor and fuel tank. We carted a light weight 12 ft tinnie around up north for years and found the hardest thing was lifting the outboard (15HP) on and off. Our needs were mainly fishing and exploring. But if you decide to go down this road, have a look at the folding trailers you can get. These are great if you're stopping in one place for more than a few nights. Means you only have to set the thing up once during your stopover.

Personally, I love canoes. I reckon you can't beat them for quietly poking around rivers and streams. Good exercise without being overly strenuous. Quiet, peaceful...beautiful!

Another option is to hedge your bets and get a motorised canoe. ie. a larger type canoe that can accomodate a small, extremely light weight electric outboad motor. In a lot of places you are restricted to paddle power or an electric outboard anyway.

Anyway, hope this is of some help.

Regards, Melissa
AnswerID: 8153

Reply By: Member - Mal - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Peter, I have a 3.4m Zodiac. It weighs 29 Kg and I can get it on to the roof rack of a Landcruiser by myself.( not too fit mid fifties). It folds to 1.05mx0.54mx 0.32m.. It takes one stubbie to blow up, two on a really hot day (15mins) and has an inflatable floor which is as hard as a rock. I have a 15HP, a 3.5HP and an electric motor for it. It will do over 40kph with the 15 HP. It is licenced to carry 5 people. I take it to where ever we are going to camp deflated, blow it up, and then move it around from the camp on the roof rack. It has 5 airtight compartments. It takes about 5 minutes to deflate and pack up. Hope this helps. Mal T.
AnswerID: 8158

Reply By: Alpaca - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

G'day Peter,
A plastic canoe or kayak is in my opinion the way to go.They weigh approx 25kg's and are almost indestructable. Paddle at your own pace and it is a relaxing form of exerecise. They mount on a roof rack and can be loaded on top by one person with a little practice. I have purchased a roof top tent and my challenge is to secure the kayak up there somehow.Sea Kayaks are longer and more heavier but are more stable.Try different types to see which suits you. I have a Dagger Edisto which suits me and a mate bought a Pacifica which suits him (different build) Most retailers can provide training.Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to do. regards Alpaca
AnswerID: 8159

Reply By: Jono - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

if it was me, i'd get a small (up to 12ft) Zodiac, and put a small motor on it (say an 8hp). You can go suprisingly fast in this type of boat with a small motor, and with an 8hp you should be fine for all but the longest trips up river. Everyone has been saying they take long to pump up, but i would have thought you could rig up some sort of attachment for your compressor, (which you should have anyway with a 4WD) and that would make light work of it. Remember that the bigger the motor the harder it will be to store in the car, and the more fuel it will use.

Then again......a small paddle thing might be the way to go, but this is completely different to a motorised boat. I guess it depends if you want to do a bit of fishing or just paddle around. Maybe a good compromise would be the Zodiac with a small outboard, but use the paddles whenever possible instead of the motor.
AnswerID: 8160

Reply By: Truckster - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

IMHO The thing I like more about boats/zodiacs over canoes/kayaks, is that you are carrying expensive camera gear, and will be changin lens, film etc, boat is more stable than a canoe/kayak for that, and has more room inside to keep things dry..

AnswerID: 8162

Reply By: Emjay - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Peter,

We've been getting the act together and have a 4WD and have a caravan on order. The plan is for a year or so going "around the block". I've also started thinking that a boat might be a good idea for messing about/exercise/fishing/sightseeing, but wondered if it might become a handicap (weight and loading hassles, folding trailer, etc) that may ultimately be not worth the cost and effort. The thought of a Zodiac crossed my mind, especially from the point of view of being able to stash it away when it's not in use rather than have it up on the roof most of the time, but I wonder about durability. Maybe Mal can expand a little on his reply: how long he has had it, are hooks/rocks a problem, what did he pay for boat and motors.
I'm sure that any other thoughts from others on the pros and cons of tinnies/inflatables/kayaks/canoes (or nothing, ie, why bother?) for touring will be appreciated.

Michael
AnswerID: 8166

Follow Up By: Member - Mal - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Emjay, I've had the zodiac for a couple of years.It is said that if they live outside unprotected they will only last about ten years. Also if they are folded up for years without being inflated where they are creased will become weak. I store mine 90% inflated undercover and would expect to get 20 to 25 years out of it. If it lasts that long I WONT BE ABLE TO GET INTO IT ANYWAY! The material they are made of is extremely durable and is multi-layered. I've hit rocks and under waterlogs and have not damaged it, but never at high speed. If you put a hole in the floor you would just get wet feet because you have so much positive floatation. Mine has 5 different air tight sections. even if one of the sides or any other section go down you can still operate the boat at low speed. If you put a hook through the material you could have it patched before loosing much air. My boat cost $2,200, the 15HP $2,000 new, The electric motor $900 new and the 3.5HP $100 second hand but needed a $120 service. If inflatables weren't durable I dont think armed forces and government bodies all around the world would have them. Either would Greenpeace etc.. Well thats my two bob's worth Mal T.
FollowupID: 3872

Reply By: Emjay - Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 15, 2002 at 01:00
Mal,
Just done a little follow-up on your Zodiac. It sounds like you have a Cadet Fastroller 340 which the website says matches everything you've said about it (folded size, 5 compartments) except the weight. You said 29kg, Zodiac lists 40kg. Am I looking at the right one?
Michael
AnswerID: 8557

Sponsored Links