Gray Junction Road

Submitted: Saturday, May 07, 2005 at 21:26
ThreadID: 22760 Views:1766 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

We are planning a trip along the Gary Junction Road in July. We have heard that there is no camping allowed on the Northern Territory side. Is this true? There are a number of camp sites marked on the map that we were planning to use.

Be interested in hearing about how long others have taken to travel the road.

thanks

Dev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 08:18

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 08:18
I'm planning on being on that track in early July so will also be interested.
AnswerID: 110265

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 14:49

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 14:49
We camped on that road last year, no problems.
Cops stopped for a friendly chat, locals stopped for a friendly chat no issues with anybody as long as you have the permits to travel the areas from the respective Land Councils and don't access the communities other than for fuel (No Gawking) I don't think you have any issues.
Contact the Land councils for further details, They have a web site or two.

Actually Willem would be the best to ask this question as he has just done that road and would have the most up to date info.
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 110294

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 15:47

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 15:47
Thanks John, that's an encouraging report. I've seen enough communities not to stay around too long without being invited. As long as the locals are reasonably Ok then thats a plus. Willem simply says "corregated". Which is interesting as I was told that from the border to Well 33 was as smooth as a babys bottom. I guess traffic and weather have altered the track.
FollowupID: 366830

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 16:03

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 16:03
Footy the road from the border to Kiwirrkurra which is as far west I went was no problem, but that was June last year so a lot could have changed since then.

They had only just had a huge amount of rain in the months preceding my trip and we did have to bypass a few large "Puddles" so to speak.
But nothing of any huge consequence. the road is used pretty constantly these days so would not expect it to cause you any hassles.
There is now a joint NT / WA police station at Kintore and this means the cops are moving constantly between the various communities out there, as I said they were great stopped for a chat from time to time more for something to do than anything else.

On the camping issue I would further suggest camping as far from any of the communities as you can, not that we had any problems but people do funny things from time to time as I'm sure you have no doubt experienced yourself in the past.

Bloody great country I really can't wait to get out there again, I envy Willem doing it at the moment.

Cheers

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 366836

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 16:10

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 16:10
Thanks John, very interesting. Yep , always stay as far from the communities as possible. I wouldn't like strangers camping in my back yard either :)
If the country is anything like the Docker/Giles area then its certainly worth the effort. Absolutely stunning.
Would of still been very damp underfoot last year ?
FollowupID: 366839

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:40

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:40
Footy the place was incredibly green, In fact some areas between the Rd and south towards the West MacDonald's looked like the sheep paddocks of Victoria so green, incredible.

The lake behind the Kiwirrkurra community was filled to capacity and looked stunning at sunset.

One of the members of our group was Doug Stoneham (Len Beadells Bulldozer driver) he said he had never seen it like that in all his time out there.
Same rain that filled Lake Eyre.

I guess I probably won't see it like that again in my lifetime, I had my 14 year old son with me and said "take a good look" this is not how this country looks to most people who travel this way.

Make sure you stop at Kiwirrkurra and let us know how the "Ration Truck" looks that was my reason for being out there, club project to move the truck stayed in the community, Now that was an experience to see, Got to say though that Kirry was said to be one of the better run communities out that way.

Just writing about the trip makes me yearn to go again, if you know what I mean. LOL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 366850

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:15

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:15
John
I was out that way Easter 2004 (see my pic of the ration truck where it spent the last 50 years). We came up the SBJT and turned left at Kintore. I am heading out that way again on 24 May. Can't wait. Last year we went all the way to 80 mile beach. This year time is more limited so we are heading out through Papunya, then down the SBJT.
FollowupID: 366878

Reply By: Dev - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:22

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:22
Yep I have seen enough communities so no need to hang about other than for fuel.

thanks, Dev
AnswerID: 110317

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:37

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:37
Hi Dev,
I confirm what others already said.
We went last July from Glen Helen to Papunya and then west to Well 33 (CSR).
To camp we just went off the track a bit and disapeared out of sight behind a hill or sand dune. Just don't camp too close to a community and don't have a 'huge' camp fire.
Also keep your eyes peeled for old roadwork camp sites. We found a sheldered one behind a small dune, perfectly leveled and cleaned of spinifex.
I'll be there again next year.

Cheers, Mike
AnswerID: 110318

Sponsored Links