lpg conversion on 6 cyl 100 series

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 16:35
ThreadID: 22772 Views:2297 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
as I've booked my 4by in for the operation later this week, and having done my homework on the savings, I've since come across a couple of comments about towing, and switching back to petrol whilst doing so. As I'll be towing a 1.5 ton (loaded) caravan up and down the coast I was hoping to make good savings there. Can anyone give me the reasons for not towing on lpg? as this could affect the whole point of converting.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:54

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 17:54
I have 80LC with 250k's on gas. I use it all the time towing business trailer around Central Coast about 500kilos. Negligable power loss on hills about 5%. On the flat wouldnt know trailer was there.

Do a trip to Louth area on Darling River twice a year towing about 1000kilos for about 1000k's. Return trip cost about $280. Gas cost on coast about 45c and in Cobar 65c to 70c.

Only use ULP through the Hunter Valley and over the hump. Then on gas the rest of the way. Hate to think what ulp would cost me at the moment.

Trick with gas is to keep it tuned and only buy from reputable suppliers not the super cheap types as the saying goes "some beer is better than other beer" in other words not all gas is good gas. A bad lot will affect efficiency.

Also fit some type of valve saver delivery system that taps into your fuel intake system, this will help wear on your valves. Flashlube make one for about $40.

dindy
AnswerID: 110324

Follow Up By: Steve - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:11

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:11
Dindy: I'm also on the central coast. Terrigal/Wamberal area. Can you recommend anyone locally? I'm probably going with a bloke in Long Jetty. Why do you switch to Ulp? Does lpg not have the guts? I thought power loss was minimal.
FollowupID: 366862

Reply By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:17

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:17
steve

i have found that up through the valley area the extra power that ulp gives you on very steep hills and for overtaking on those hills can be significant. particularly when you have some 60tonne mobile block of flats you need to get around or you have the same trying to put his bull bar in your trailer. its just good to have a bit extra.

dindy
AnswerID: 110328

Follow Up By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:28

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 18:28
steve

Sorry a bit extra. I go to a young bloke by the name of Nathan BAJADA at 16 Tathra Street. West Gosford, Paynters Automotive Repairs 43253983. Been dealing with him for about 3 years don't know if he does to many gas conversions now but he is the only guy that I know that can put his finger on a gas problem in a flash (also includes other mechanical probs). Maybe he can give you some good advice before you proceed. Apears to be down to earth honest guy. Mention me, Steve, thats my first name and the fact that we share an interest in eradicating pigs from the farming and grazing areas of the western districts.

dindy
FollowupID: 366864

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:30

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:30
cheers dindy. I'll give him a hoy. I take it you just need a bit more grunt to get over the hills and ulp does the job better. So, wouldn't you just drop into a lower gear on lpg? I'd be quite happy to go over the ranges on ulp but I'm buggered if I'm gonna pay for lpg and then use ulp to tow my van on our annual trip to the Whitsundays. Surely it'll tow us up the Pac Hwy on lpg???
AnswerID: 110338

Reply By: dindy - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:48

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:48
steve

it just depends how hard you want to drive your engine bearing in mind that running on lpg you tend to rev a little higher in each gear because of the difference in power. I find that when towing through that area and towing that weight that the engine works a bit easer and i have a better power range.

Running on gas full time will achieve good savings over time however like all things there are some down sides and lack of power in some circumstances being one of those things.

if you are looking for savings on running costs of your 100 then gas is the go and no you won't have any trouble running gas up and down the coast.

The way fuel costs are at the moment even if you were 20 to 30 percent less efficient than ulp you would still be ahead over time.

I've been running my 80 for about three years on the coast when I first started lpg was about 38c and ulp about 87. gas floats around 42c at the moment and ulp about 113c. so you do the math on efficiency verses power.

regards dindy
AnswerID: 110342

Reply By: The Pelican - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 09:27

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 09:27
Hi Steve
I have a 80 series on LPG, which spends about 75% towing a horse float weighing about 2 tonnes, mainly freeway and highway work. It is slightly gutless on hills, or into headwinds. Changing from 5th to 4th at 90km/h seems to actually reduce its ability to climb hills. I dont find much difference between LPG and petrol. A proper tune up was a great investment.
Given the price of petrol ($1.06/L) and LPG ($0.37 to $0.40/L) and am loving LPG more and more each day.
Cheers
The Pelican
AnswerID: 110392

Follow Up By: Steve - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:33

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:33
thanks guys. I've got it booked in for Thursday and when I read about switching to ULP for towing thought "uh oh, not much good when you use it for towing a 1.5 ton van up and down the coast". So I'll just need to switch over when towing on l-o-o-o-o-o-n-g steep hills and probably don't expect brilliant overtaking on lpg. I'd been led to believe that the difference in power was similar to having the air con on/off. I can live with that as long as the vast majority of towing can be done on lpg. Hope that's about it.
FollowupID: 366988

Sponsored Links