motorhome protocol

Submitted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 19:59
ThreadID: 22784 Views:3507 Replies:9 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
After endless research I've just about settled on a Suncamper 4WD motorhome. I know that motorhomes have drawbacks but as a woman travelling alone, I like the security aspect of being able to get into the cab and drive off if neccessary.

My question is to all those who have travelled with one of these smaller style of motorhomes or campervans. What strategies do you employ when staying in caravan parks or busy camping areas to "mind your spot" when you inevitably have to pack everything up to head off on a day trip or just duck to the shops for supplies.

I've been thinking about taking one of those portable bikes but that will only be of use in limited situations. I've not spent much time in caravan parks - if you drive off will someone take your spot even if you are still a paying guest? Someone suggested taking along one of those tiny tents that just about erect themselves - apparently the idea is to put one up on my spot while I'm away. Sounds a bit painful but if that's what's gotta be done, I guess it will have to do.

Any and all responses much appreciated. By the way, any feedback on Suncamper 4wd motorhomes in particular, or those style of motorhomes in general, would be much appreciated. I want to be able to travel rough roads and cross a bit of water. I don't need to be the poster girl for extreme four wheel driving.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:26

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:26
We used to camp "off the back of the ute". On rare occasions when we stayed at a caravan park, we asked to go "with the oldies". Even when we were much younger, we loved talking to the grey nomads, and retirees who winter in the the North. Then we'd ask them to keep an eye on our stuff while we went out. We'd even leave the engel on mains power safely under their watchful eye. One night we pulled into Coral Bay (when it was still a nice rough limestone track to exclude the hoards), and were greated by an elderly gent with a huge fillet of snapper for our tea. Great people, the "oldies". Enjoy your motorhome. Motherhen
AnswerID: 110349

Follow Up By: Footloose - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:36

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:36
Hey, who ya callin an oldie ? Mind you I do know a real oldie...saw him in the mirror this morning :)) Coral Bay was great except I'd been hanging out for a drink since Darwin, so planned to spend a few days there. Got to the pub 5mts after closing time...7.30.
So I remember the place not for its beauty, not for its fishing or companionship, but for the fact that I wanted a drink...just 1 would of been great.....
FollowupID: 366883

Reply By: Member - Raymond - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:42

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:42
Hi Kellie
Congratulations on joining the motorhome fraternity, and enjoy your Suncamper 4WD Motorhome. We have had the camper for 3 years and find that in most cases others will protect our site. If it is a paid carvan spot then we just leave a reserved sign on a stake in the ground.

We are moving up to a motorhome with a walk through which we will have delivered in September, we will be very sad putting the GU & camper up for sale in August, but we will still be travelling this great land see you on the road.
Regards Ray
AnswerID: 110353

Reply By: Member - Frank - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:50

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 20:50
Post us a picture when you can like to see the rig, I am not far off where you are at, I like the reserved sign idea get a good one then it looks real official

if you ever get to adelaide call in and we will give you a home cooked roast

frank
AnswerID: 110356

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 21:02

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 21:02
Common strategy is to leave your folding table and chairs in situ...
AnswerID: 110357

Reply By: motherhen - Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 23:22

Sunday, May 08, 2005 at 23:22
We toured UK & Europe in a small motorhome (not 4wd) with my family quite some years ago. Not only was it easy to just stop almost anywhere for the night; a couple of times we couldn't move. Once people parked too close back and front of us in a street in Switzerland, another time at a country show on a very wet day, the paddock used for parking became to boggy to get up the hill and out. We just started cooking tea, happy to stay for as long as it took. The day of the show, eventually most vehicles managed to get out, leaving the paddock a muddy mess, so we slithered down the hill when the way was clear, and found our way around and out. It wouldn't have worried us to stay there all night. Only stayed in caravan parks if we were visiting a city for a few days, or occasionally to wash hair, clothes etc. Enjoy the wonderful nomadic lifestyle with your purchase. You will meet great people along the way too. Motherhen
AnswerID: 110373

Reply By: Member - Craig M (NSW) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 10:33

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 10:33
Hi,
We just completed a bit of a trip recently in a small camper and on the frw occasions we stayed in Caravan parks they actually assign a site number to you, so for example site No 43, then that site is yours till you leave. Even in a quiter park they let us pick a vacant one but we had to go back and tell them which one we chose and when they put it into the computer it would of came up with that it was already taken if it was.
And I guess if its a very laid back park that dont keep track of there guests the options mentioned sound ok, either a reserved sign or just leave your table and chairs set up while you are gone. I still think it would be a strange park that doesnt keep track of which sites are vacant etc.

Cheers
AnswerID: 110402

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 15:14

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 15:14
nother vote for the table and chair. If by chance you find it packed up and another mob have your spot just grab it and move as far away as possible - you dont want to camp next to rude people
AnswerID: 110459

Reply By: Rocky M QLD - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:54
Hi all,
after a few years in a coaster camper,all around Aus,several good ideas have been seen.A reserved sign with rego no seems to work well and the table and chairs,have on occasson been classified as abandoned goods.Most poeple do however respect your space.Best of luck and safe travells,regards Dave
AnswerID: 110479

Follow Up By: hedevil - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:11

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:11
Hi Rocky M we are about to embark on a 6 month trip around the north and west coast, I think the reserved and rego sign sounds good, I would asume there would be some who would disregrd them any way, and as previous reply said i would move on as they obviously have no regard for your comfort....Ezy Go"n.....Max
FollowupID: 367064

Reply By: kellieb - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 01:02

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 01:02
Thanks everyone for your advice and sorry it took me a while to get back here. I'm feeling much more confident now that I've got some idea of the etiquette.

Still a while to go before I'm on the road but I'll get there.

Cheers!

Kellie
AnswerID: 112531

Sponsored Links