googs track - border track

Submitted: Sunday, Nov 03, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2279 Views:1704 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Googs track - Border track.... Which track is easier?..
Can the dunes at either track be tackled in high range or is it only low range country?....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Voxson

Both Googs & the Border Track are easy high range 4wd. Like most sand travelling, momentum is key. That means high range.

Are you aware that currently fires are burning in Ngarkat National Park (that the Border Track region) and Daangali (the large park above the River Murray in S.A.)? The reason I mention this is that if recently burnt, they are pretty horrible journeys. I speak from experience in Ngarkat.

Cheers
Rick
AnswerID: 8155

Follow Up By: Xr500 - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

rick
i travelled the border track from pinnaroo to bordertown last weekend and found of the 10 or so sand dunes half of them had 90 deg. corners and found it hard to maintain the speed when the corners were at the top of the dunes !! 2nd or 3 rd gear low range 5500rpm in a 2.6 bravo petrol
Is it possible you did it when the sand had some moisture in it or do i need a faster vehicle !!!!!

Out of the 5 different vehicles that went on the weekend diesel petrol big or small we all had to drive the same way

What type of 4wd and when did you do the track rick ?

xr500
FollowupID: 3871

Follow Up By: Rick - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Xr 500
I wonder at what revs the max torque is available in your Bravo? It seems to me that you'd be better off up a gear instead of 5500 rpm. I drove a Raider (same engine/gears/t-case as the Bravo, just an Oval badge) for 4 years, through similar country, and especially at Robe. So I have plenty of experience with that set up, and loved the sweet little motor. BUT I can't recall ever selecting low range in those environments!

You asked if it was damp....a little
You asked if you need more speed.....maybe, maybe not. It depends on traction, depth of ruts, how loose the sand is etc.
You asked what vehicle did I do it in......GU Patrol, 6 weeks old at the time

What you didn't mention was ...yes everyone has guessed it by now....tyres. I reckon that with correct pressures, and the highest gear possible(be practical; not 3rd gear 1000rpm) will do you fine.

In any event, enjoy & Tread Lightly

Rick
FollowupID: 3877

Follow Up By: Xr500 - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
rick

the conditions of the dunes have not seen any rain for a long time and the sand was as dry as !!
when you walked in it it was ankle deep so the approach to me is flat out

some of the dunes were 2nd low range and if the rpm dropped under 3000rpm the speed wasnt there and it dropped to the diffs and lost traction and felt like it dropped out of gear!

i started with 20psi (with std bridgestone M+S tyres 8 ply ) and after 3 dunes dropped to 15psi and seemed to help a bit but if you were first up the dune you had a good chance but if you were last it was a lot harder!!!more speed

a landrover discovery turbo diesel was using sometimes one higher gear than me but most of the time the same and was having the same problems . so were the 2 patrols 3 litre and 4.2 litre petrol and a 2.8 hilux

with some rain next year we will go again and it will be totally different by what your saying .

bloody good fun though !!

thanks for the reply !!

xr500
FollowupID: 3892

Reply By: desert - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

I did Googs track last August and found it a pleasant and easy desert- type drive. The dunes are nearly all High range once you have let your tyres down to 20psi front and 30psi rear. These pressures were with full loads in all vehicles(Patrols and Cruisers). The only Pajero in our group had to resort to low range only after becoming bogged. Some of the crests have bad holes, dug by people that will not air-down their tyres, and therefore, can be pretty rough a bouncy on the top. The last time I drove the border track was 15 years ago and from memory, I would say that the Border run would be the more difficult of the two journeys.
Cheers.
AnswerID: 8176

Sponsored Links