Does Bi Tron Work??? Or is it snake oil???

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:33
ThreadID: 22802 Views:14827 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
The claims on the web page all look pretty good. Is this for real or is it another "Hyclone" type product.

The web page looks a bit ammeturish. Anyone had any experience?

If it is good where do you actually buy it.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:47

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:47
Seeing as they're sponsors, why don't you give em a try?

And then you can let us ALL know.

iMusty
AnswerID: 110440

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 15:48

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 15:48
I aint passing up my hard earned bucks just because they are sponsors. I want real HARD evidence befor I pour stuff into my engine that I know nothing about.

I have had sponsors that turned out to be nothing more than thieves advertise with my business.

I am sure that I will get some usefull responses from people who actually have had experience with their products.

Thanks for the response
FollowupID: 366974

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 19:07
At Ten to Two PM today I sent you a message to put "Bi Tron" in your engine and see what happens. I've just read your response.

I was fairly flippant with my recomendation then. I appologize.

Im 37 yo and I am fortunate to know some people I consider to be fairly smart. A Condensed Matter Theoretical Physicist and a bloke who keeps the computors up at a major Uni in Australia. (I mean ALL the computers)

They both have studied there arses off about all matter of stuff to get where they are. I don't see them pouring it into their cars.

And I can't see me doing it either.

Good luck with your post

James aka iMusty
FollowupID: 366999

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:56

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 13:56
Ask Roachie. He just did it to his GU in a hope that it fixes his overheating problems...
AnswerID: 110442

Follow Up By: Member - Hugh (WA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:15

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:15
Roachie was going to use the CEM product to de-sludge his block.

Bi-tron is from a different supplier and is a different type of additive.

Hugh
FollowupID: 366954

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:42

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 14:42
damn, I gotta POQ to get my FN acronyms correct

YMMV :-s
FollowupID: 366960

Reply By: AdrianLR - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:25

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 21:25
I used it in a TD5 Disco. At the recomended dose it extended the range by about 10%. I zero my trip meter every time I refill and get around 750km out of 85Lin average driving. With Bitron I was getting around 830. This was consistent over about a year of use.

I did this a couple of years ago when diesel was below 90c/L. If I went by cost alone then the 10% extra range was very similar to the cost of the Bitron dose. The advantage was the extended range. This is obviously important when there's some distance between fuel stops or you're relying on jerry cans.

I stopped using it when the fuel became part of my package and I had to pay for Bitron myself - I know, stingey bugger!

I didn't notice any power increase or other gains such as engine life but they may have been there. I also bought the dif oil treatment but didn't end up using it.

I have no connection to the comapny other than my brother-in-law who is an auto electrician was sceptical but after using it on quite a few Fraser trips in his Maverick became a distributor. I haven't asked him recently if he still though.

There are probably many variables (engine age, design, type of driving etc) that will impact on your results. I don't think that it will do any damage. From memory I noticed the increased range pretty quickly so it may just act as an octane enhancer.

Regards,

Adrian
AnswerID: 110530

Follow Up By: Savvas - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:43

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 07:43
Hi Adrian,

Which Bitron product were you using?
FollowupID: 367051

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:55

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 09:55
It was the Diesel Fuel Conditioner
FollowupID: 367069

Follow Up By: floyd - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:24

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:24
Thanks for the response. How much was the Bitron and what size container does it come in??

If cost is cheap enough it may be worth putting in. My diesel is $1.24 at the moment and if I can get 10% better milage then it would be a good thing.
FollowupID: 367264

Follow Up By: AdrianLR - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:02

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 22:02
This is the link from the sponsor's page:

http://www.bi-tron.com.au/dieselconditioner.htm

There is a recommended protocol for when you start using it that concludes with changing the fuel filter and after that I was putting in about 100mL per 80L of diesel. It came in a 354mL bottle that was convenient to store in the door pocket so I wouldn't forget to put it in.

The only thing I don't remeber was the price and I couldn't find it on the website. A phonecall should provide the info (number's on the webpage).

As someone else has said in another reply, the marketing feels a bit "Amway-ish" but if the product works for you then who cares - you don't have to "live the faith" just buy it. And, why isn't it in fuel anyway? well, it costs money that the average punter doesn't want to spend and probably won't notice the difference anyway. We fit a lot of things to our trucks that cost heaps extra and to us they should be standard (eg better ignition profile chips) - it's just the masses don't think so. Same with fuel additives - it IS possible to improve the fuel that comes out of the pump but at a cost.
FollowupID: 367339

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:44

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 15:44
Have a look at the Taxi industry. Not many , (Taxis ) if at all any , use additives,and still get execptionally high life out of their motors. In fact they could give a testimonial to the fact that they do not use additives, instead of the usual testimonials that are included in additive advts. Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 110639

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 01:51

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 01:51
not a good example. additives (such as slick 50) claim to give longer engine life by protecting the engine on startup before oil gets to moving parts. Taxis get huge milaege coz they are rarely turned off
FollowupID: 367547

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:30

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:30
As I understand it, the oil additive uses similar technology to Castrol Magnatec, but has been around longer. Perhaps someone who has data on this oil may like to comment.
AnswerID: 110649

Reply By: Coops (WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:20

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:20
I've been using all of their products for over 5 years now in all things mechanical.
Try it for yourself is about the only real way you're going to satisfy your curiosity. When doing so be prepared to give it a while before making your decision.
I still use all products today (fuel stuff only when I remember to put it in tank) and wouldn't do an oil change without the engine formulation. Likewise for diffs and gearboxes with that product. Again it's a personal thing but I was happy with my figures.
You buy it from distributors. Once upon a time they used to be multi level marketing organisation but I think that fell by the wayside. They were quite prepared to let you buy their product though without being a marketer, which is what I was doing.
AnswerID: 110723

Follow Up By: floyd - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:15

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:15
How much does it cost, where do you get it and how much do you use???

What size bottle does the fuel additive for diesel come in?

Also has it improved your milage?

If the product is priced high so that there is no $ savings then I will not be interested. However if the claims of 10% more km's per tank are correct and the outright cost is cheap then it may be worth it.

So far no one has been able to answer my original question.

Thanks
FollowupID: 367262

Follow Up By: Coops (WA) - Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 15:51
Try the advertiser or distributor - he will have the answer to all your questions
FollowupID: 367265

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Friday, May 27, 2005 at 22:16

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 22:16
Well floyd it's been nearly 3 weeks.

What did ya do?

Did ya give it a go cause by the looks of the replies you didnt really get a consistent response from the thread.

iMusty
AnswerID: 113270

Follow Up By: floyd - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:59

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:59
Didnt use it for 2 reasons. Fits is that after calling the guy he couldnt tell me where the nearest distributer to me was. He says they are in Melbourne (500 km trip). I would have blown any gains to economy over a year by just driving down to pick it up and then drive home again. Second it smells of an Amway style marketing thing. I would rather get all messed up on the Lord than get involved with one of these cults.

Secondly I only had 1 solid response that said that there was any fuel saving advantage. The other guy uses it in everything however the fuel savings were not too obvious.

I can get 10% fuel savings by taking off the roof racks, removing the golf clubs and driving with a light foot. Supermarket delivery here is $3 per case which is also about 1/4 of the cost of of driving. I think that I am just going to be smarter about using the vehicle. The turbo has given me 300 kms extra range per tank (115 litres). It will pay for itself in a couple of years and give me better economy until I sell the vehicle anyway.

I am not saying that Bi Tron is snake oil but I reckon you can do better by using your head.

I ran Chem teck for 3 months and results were not noticeable. I reckon that the internals were probably in better condition and that the algie and water was gone but you can do that with 100% acetone. It cleans your system for about 1/10th of the cost and you can actualy notice the difference in power after about 10 minutes of putting it into your tank.

I am still open to suggestions for fuel savings. LPG wil be concidered on the next vehicle now that diesel has hit $1.23 in my area.
FollowupID: 369630

Reply By: floyd - Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:48

Monday, May 30, 2005 at 11:48
Didnt use it for 2 reasons. Fits is that after calling the guy he couldnt tell me where the nearest distributer to me was. He says they are in Melbourne (500 km trip). I would have blown any gains to economy over a year by just driving down to pick it up and then drive home again. Second it smells of an Amway style marketing thing. I would rather get all messed up on the Lord than get involved with one of these cults.

Secondly I only had 1 solid response that said that there was any fuel saving advantage. The other guy uses it in everything however the fuel savings were not too obvious.

I can get 10% fuel savings by taking off the roof racks, removing the golf clubs and driving with a light foot. Supermarket delivery here is $3 per case which is also about 1/4 of the cost of of driving. I think that I am just going to be smarter about using the vehicle. The turbo has given me 300 kms extra range per tank (115 litres). It will pay for itself in a couple of years and give me better economy until I sell the vehicle anyway.

I am not saying that Bi Tron is snake oil but I reckon you can do better by using your head.

I ran Chem teck for 3 months and results were not noticeable. I reckon that the internals were probably in better condition and that the algie and water was gone but you can do that with 100% acetone. It cleans your system for about 1/10th of the cost and you can actualy notice the difference in power after about 10 minutes of putting it into your tank.

I am still open to suggestions for fuel savings. LPG wil be concidered on the next vehicle now that diesel has hit $1.23 in my area.
AnswerID: 113545

Sponsored Links