free wheeling hubs

Submitted: Monday, May 09, 2005 at 16:46
ThreadID: 22814 Views:3224 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi everyone can anyone tell me if free wheeling hubs off of a GQ patrol will fit a GU
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:00

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 17:00
Should do. I've changed my GU hubs over to AVM jobbies and they were the same ones that AVM supply to fit the GQ. If that makes any sence????

Cya

Roachie
AnswerID: 110484

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, May 09, 2005 at 22:54
jt,
Yeap, for the price of it unless you know the history of the hub it might be worth considering purchasing new ones. The AVM ones are the go, stripping the auto hubs can be fraught with danger especially if you build them up incorrectly. Cost a mate two new hubs, luckily they where serviced by a garage (not Nissan) who admitted they where at fault and replaced them FOC. One went again so he replaced both with the manual AVM ones hasn't had a problem since.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 110553

Follow Up By: jt - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:35

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 08:35
The ones i am looking at putting on are brand new and still in box the brand of them are ORA. Have you heard if these are any good?

Do you know why the automatic hubs play up? I am having trouble with my front diff, when in 2wd turning corners at times there will be a clunking noise from the front diff. My car is fitted with a lockrite diff lock. Do you know if anyone has had this problem or anyone I can talk to about this.
FollowupID: 367052

Follow Up By: Martyn (WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 21:32

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 21:32
JT,
Never heard of ORA hubs, sorry can't help you there. When the hubs are stripped down they have to go back a particular way, I think if you get them 90 degrees out they go back together but wear quickly and eventually fail in a big way, cost my mate a new drive shaft I think.
I didn't think it was to good to have these auto locking diffs in conjunction with the auto hubs, they lock and unlock as you accelerate and decellerate, unload and loading the diff causes a lot of shock to go through the drive train which causes wear. The occasional clunking noise might be something else rather than the diff, could be the knuckle joints worn or something like that.
You can check the backlash by putting the drive train in gear, jacking a front wheel up and rocking the wheel backwards and forwards listening for clunks.
Very hard to diagnose things on line, a lot easier to sort out when you are actually there if you know what I mean.
I hope some of this maybe is a help. My opinions and views as usual.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 367149

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 11:24

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 11:24
JT even in two wheel drive the front locker will ramp and chatter going around corners etc. I doubt there is anything wrong with it, you just have to be aware. They are best with free wheeling hubs, that way in 2WD they can be disengaged and you wouldnt know the locker is in there.

I know people will say the front locker should make no difference to steering when in 2WD but from experience, some do, some dont!

It will definately increase the steering effort in 4wd, but I wouldnt be without one!!!

Never heard of ORA, but if they are decent quality, then its just a sliding dog clutch, shouldnt be too hard to see if they are upto the job.

Goodluck.

Matt.
AnswerID: 110595

Follow Up By: jt - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:02

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 14:02
Matt when I say it is chattering I mean some times it makes the whole front end shake and sound like the gears or something is going to brake. But it does not happen all of the time only every now and again.
FollowupID: 367083

Sponsored Links