Toyota 80 series fuel tanks.

Submitted: Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2285 Views:2364 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Can somebody clarify for me (a non Toyota owner) which standard fuel tank is the main tank and which is the Aux tank and what replacment tanks are available (capacities) for either tank?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Allyn (member) - Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:00
Desert - one good turn deserves another.
Main tank sits under rear passenger floorspace and aux is above spare wheel well.
I have a 4WD systems replacement for auxillary which required a spare wheel carrier in place before fitment. (www.4wdsystems.com.au)
It holds 200 litres + (give or take 10) and if that's what you are after then I believe it's the way to go as it holds slightly more than the others on offer for the same price. Others are offering 170 litres .
It's structurally sound and takes a bashing no problems at all.
Any questions then just get back to me
AnswerID: 8187

Follow Up By: Desert - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
Thanks Allyn, thats what I wanted to know. However, does the tank hang down noticably at the rear? Is it susceptable to being knocked or damaged?
FollowupID: 3891

Follow Up By: Allyn (member) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Desert
Tank sits beautifully underneath and is far higher than your spare wheel would be currently. You cannot see it from behind at all.
The extra 20 litres or so didn't concern me as you don't need to fill the tank to the brim unless travelling far enough to need it, in which case you would have a jerry can with same weight anyway and it's really only 20kg isn't it. You will need beefed up suspension before this mod both because of the additional weight and due to the spare wheel and carrier being further back on your vehicle. I added polyair springs also but not really necessary.
FollowupID: 3905

Follow Up By: Allyn (member) - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

the weight is far better being under the car than anywhere where it affects your centre of gravity ie. sitting on top of a roof rack. How often you fill the tank to the brim is entirely up to you. I fill mine every time but I live a lot further from nearest town that I would visit and use a fair bit of the stuff it holds. It will pay off eventually though, for example I was able to complete Gibb River including Kalumburu without refilling. We paid $1 per litre in Kununurra and the rest of my crew paid $1.50 at Drysdale and Kalumburu. I debated the issue over and over and in the end thought that if I couldn't make my mind up then I would go for it. Can't say as I'm unhappy.
FollowupID: 3907

Reply By: Steve L - Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00

Desert,

I'd ask around a number of the suppliers. When I was looking for a replacement tank I was advised by a number of people that the tanks holding any more than around the 170-180 litre capacity can cause problems (re the amount of weight hung from under the car I believe). I went for the Long Ranger tank (around 170 litres officially although I often get 180 in!) given its reputation - I always believe that you get what you pay for, especially when it's a proven unit. Don't want any problems when you're slightly out of range of the NRMA/RACV/RACQ/etc.!

Regards, Steve
AnswerID: 8198

Sponsored Links