CB + installation with no bullbar

Submitted: Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:07
ThreadID: 22850 Views:8625 Replies:10 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

Im looking to install a CB in my hilux, either a uniden UH-012 @ $300 or a GME 3200 @ $360.

I will need an arial mount and an arial - should I put a z bracket on the front left guard or should I get a magnet mount for the roof. Also what type of arial should I get. I want the best price performance and to do the install myself coz Im cheap, hence no bullbar. Any advice would be appreciated.

Im planning to travel from NSW through SA up through the NT to Darwing then back through queensland via Mt Isa in June/July, In case you wonder what Ill be using it for.

Any thoughts on whether I should get a bullbar would also be welcome. I was planning on not driving at night or dusk.

B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Longreach - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:19

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:19
Not sure what's on the roof of the highlux (eg. bolt on point for roof racks on Landcruiser and Prado) but the roof is the best place for an arial to get the best performance from your UHF. Has it's downsides though - clearance in parking stations etc. Can get in the way of other roof rack arrangements too.
AnswerID: 110645

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:31

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:31
Agree with Longreach. if possible put it on the roof. If you don't have a roofrack try using a gutter mounting. I use a cheap small rubber arial this way which not only does a great job but also don't have clearance issues. I keep a 6db arial in the car as a back up. Most emus that hit cars do not seem to care that its not dark so i would say the bullbar whilst not the most important thing to get for a 4x4 is a good investment.
AnswerID: 110650

Follow Up By: BBails - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:40

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 16:40
Thanks Guys,

Hi lux is a 2002, no gutters unfortunately - and no racks either, what do you think about a magnet mount? Do you just run the cable out the rear door seal?

Also What should I pay for a cheap rubber arial, and what specs should I look for?

B

FollowupID: 367101

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:09

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:09
I got Z braket on my with the following antenna

Works fine in high country without any problems....
AnswerID: 110656

Follow Up By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:10

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:10
link didn't work....
http://www.rfindustries.com.au/rfiproducts/mobileAntennas/ucd50_r28.pdf
FollowupID: 367108

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:24

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:24
My Z one has worked well on my GU patrol. It is mounted on the drovers side reasonable close to the w/screen.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 110659

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:41

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 17:41
B,

Has the Hilux got a head board, that is the bar that comes of the ute body and follows the shape of the back of the cab, if it has that is a good spot.

A single roof bar, even though the Hilux is gutless, sorry gutterless, a single roof bar can be fitted.

I have over a period of time traveling the out back have hit the Australian Coat of Arms, Kangaroo and Emu. Driving in the middle of the day doesn't mean that they wont come out, kangaroos and emus don't have watches.

Where you plan to go a good bull bar is a very good investment and then you could put the aerial on the bull bar.

I like the GME unit Australian made.

Wayne
AnswerID: 110664

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:09

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:09
Living in Broken Hill I can testify to the ability of our native animals to get in front of you day or night. I will add my vote to those suggesting the value of a bull bar, and not a cheap one.

I have a GME 3200 with a little stumpy antennae mounted on a gutter mount works fine. The cable is just run through the door seal but I am not overly happy with this. Bopth cable and seal have slight damage, after about three years. I am starting to look for something better.

Duncs
AnswerID: 110667

Reply By: floyd - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:26

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:26
If you have a roll bar in the ute then use it as your mounting point. you can get a purpose made antenna mount to go on the tube of the roll bar.

If you have a tray back then get a right angle bracket and bolt it onto the vertical part of the tray behind the cab.

If you have a canopy then your mounting points are limited unless you want to drill into the fiberglass. If you do this you will need a ground independant antenna.

the Z mount will be the easyest and will work with both ground indipendant and earthed antennas. Remeber with the earthed antenna that the z bracket will have to be free of paint so as the antenna gets a "ground" connection. Also the point where the z bracket is bolted to the car will have to be paint free so as the antenna can "ground". If the antenna is not grounded then it will perform really badly and eventually the transmitter will probably blow up.

If you go the magnetic mount this will actually perform well if mounted on the roof. Remember to get a ground independant antenna and magnet base as you will not be able to "ground" the antenna through the paint (unless you angle grind the paint off your roof). The added bonus with the magnetic mount is that you can take it off really easily when entering car parks or driving through low bush.
AnswerID: 110669

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:55

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:55
Good advise Floyd but just a point about the mag mounts. They ground through capacitive coupling so need need for a ground independant antenna. The car body and the mag base forming the capacitor. They can be strange beasts though and very position sensitive for a low swr however mine presents a low swr just about anywhere on the roof for the band I use it on.
FollowupID: 367170

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:57

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 18:57
Like you I have no bullbar (it is on the agenda since the close call with the cow, but who knows if it would have helped anyway!!) I have mine mounted on a Z bracket. Have a look at my rig photo's. The CDMA phone antenna is mounted to the nudgebar, it's too low there but the CDMA Dipole is just too big to be on a Z bracket off road IMHO. I run a stubby GME 3dm antenna there for ages and it was excellent, I got a good deal on a RFI elevated feed so couldn't resist. It's about as big as you'd want to go on the Z Bracket, I run some silicon on both sides of the bracket to stop it rubbing on the paint work in real rough conidtions as the Z bracket tends to do more swaying that the spring base! LOL

AnswerID: 110676

Reply By: canpin - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 21:43

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 21:43
We have used a magnetic mount on the roof on a NM Pajero with out any problems. The unit inc aerial was bought at Dick Smith.
The CB was mounted at the rear of the centre consol between the front seats, powered from the socket inside the console. we went for this option because we only have the CB in the car when we do trips.
The aerial is approx 600 long SSteel and it gave equal performance to those of my travelling companions in a trip we did through the Flinders, & East/ West macs last year. We all have the same UHF units.

Cheers

Craig
AnswerID: 110714

Reply By: Sapper - Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:07

Tuesday, May 10, 2005 at 22:07
I would use a 'z' bracket on the guard and mount a ground independent antennae. Yes the roof is the ideal but when all else fails a ground independent will do the trick.

I use a ground independent mounted on my Pajero attached to the bull bar. Great reception and transmission. I pull it off when not needed. I have a quick disconnect via a BNC connector.

Sapper
AnswerID: 110719

Sponsored Links