Disco 11 Tyres (Not Again)

Submitted: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 at 23:15
ThreadID: 22914 Views:2735 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have been reading lots on the forum about suitable tyres my 2004 Discovery TDI. I do about 8000km a year on gravel roads and 17000km on tar, including driving around Melbourne. The standard Michelin XPC have been excellent but near worn out at 50000km. Only three punctures with the loss of one tyre. Looking at replacement choices. The question which hasn't been anwered so far is the best of the AT's on the tar including in the wet. For information, I had two Dueller 694's fitted half way through a Kimberley trip last year but the combination of Michelin on the front and 694's on the back was like driving on a skating rink. The disco was moving all over the road and had to travel around 80kph on the Oodnadatta Track. Tried various pressure combinations but little difference. This behavour continued on the bitumen if you hit a parallel ridge in the road. It was as if the front of the car want to go one way and the rear another. I guess thats why we buy tyres in sets of four. I have had an offer of fitting 694's on the front from the local rep to see if behavour changes but a little nervous. Any comments appreciated, particularly tar and wet tar, and sorry if longwinded.
Cabs
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 07:23

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 07:23
Hey Cabs i had Cooper S/T-Cs 245/75/16s fitted to my Disco II the first ones i had were replaced under warrenty were S/Ts chipped to buggery the S/T-Cs are a 60/40 tyre and would suit your driving as it seems to be that, i'd look at Wranglers or BFGs too these three tyres seem to be the choice of the majority.

Also look AULRO Landy forum

Hope this helps.

Baz.
AnswerID: 110950

Reply By: Aston - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:00

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 09:00
Cabs on Disco II Tyres

Hi there,
Can't believe that you only achieved 50000 out of the XPC's, Ive got a set on my disco that have done 40000 and are only half worn.

But thats not the question,

Redback was right..... go for Wranglers or BFG's

Cheers Aston
AnswerID: 110957

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 10:13

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 10:13
Cabs
Its hard to go past the Michelins. 50,000 km is pretty good mileage.
I put Cooper STs on for a big trip last year and they are about half worn after 15,000 km. I have an extra set of wheels so I put the Michelins back on for routine use.
The big factor is cost. The Coopers only cost about $230 each and the Michelins are over $300.
For the quality of handling on bitumen and their long life I'd stick with the Michelins. They aren't bad in the bush either, but obviously not as good as an AT tyre.
AnswerID: 110966

Reply By: Peter Schrader - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:06

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 18:06
I am really impressed with my BFG's, I gave them a hammering last year over a heap of rough dirt roads.

Pretty good in the mud, I am really glad I went for the ATs as we drove to Birdsville after about 16 mm of rain. The Michelins would have been useless.

And not too bad on the sand, I reckon they float better than the Michelins.

And I got 95k out of my factory Michelins, hard wearing, but not tough enough for real bush work.
AnswerID: 111032

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:32

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:32
G'Day Cabs,
I have had no experience with disco's being a cruiser man from way back but I am on my 3rd set of bfg muddies and have nothing but good comments about them. I get about 70000 out of them even with some hard off road work and a lot of bitumen work. My brother has a triton dual cab and runs bfg a/t's and gets about 80-85000 out of them mostly on the black stuff with a little on the dusty stuff. So in summary I myself beleive even though they do cost more initially it is money well spent.

Troopytrek!!!!

P.S. Not sure how much truth is in it but have been told that BFG's are made by mitchelin.
AnswerID: 111089

Sponsored Links