GQ Dificulty in starting in morning.

Submitted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:18
ThreadID: 22933 Views:1820 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Help please.

The Patrol has been running well but in the last week it has been hard to start as if the glo plugs weren't working.The are getting power but its hard to start and blowing lost of grey as if its flodded.

Any ideas.

John
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Voxson - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:31

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:31
Mine has been the same... I let the glow plugs do three cycles then it starts fine... See if that works...
AnswerID: 111046

Follow Up By: CUM800 - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:36

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:36
Thanks Voxson

Tried that, doesnt help.

John
FollowupID: 367470

Reply By: Jason B - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:59

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 19:59
John,

I had an old 2H 75 series until recently. It had the same problem when I was in the Snowy Mountians. An Auto Spacky in Tumit told me to clean and tighten all the connections along the power rial and to the glow plugs.

Never had any more starting trouble, even when it was snowing up at the ski fields.

Regards,

Jason
AnswerID: 111055

Follow Up By: gqpat - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:02

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 21:02
You need to check the glow plugs correctly .Remove the busbar that connects them all together and then apply 12 vlots across each one individually you should get spark off each one indicating its drawing current you may have 2-3 not working but you cant check while all joined..if one or more are not drawing current replace the whole set.
If they are all ok the only other problem you would have might have is slow cranking as all deisels require good cranking speed to create good cylinder pressure to ignite fuel. Even if it sounds ok it mybe only working on one field coil not 2 so take it off and have it checked i have been caught out a few times with this problem thinking it has to be fuel or glow plugs ,and replaced starter and then fires up instantly
Hope this helps...
FollowupID: 367496

Reply By: 80scruiser - Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:02

Thursday, May 12, 2005 at 22:02
The nissans have a good system where you can override the glow plug timer.
If you turn the ignition to reds and wait until the glow plugs click out, then very carefully and slowly turn the ignition towards start you can here the timer cut in again. My timer on my old MH cacked it and I used to hold the key in over ride for another 10 seconds and she would fire up no worries and have no white coloured smoke.
AnswerID: 111099

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:19

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:19
cool weather is upon us and surprise suprise your diesal is having problems starting and blowing white/grey smoke! no doubt it is glow plugs, the grey smoke is a result of inneficient combustion because the glow plugs aint doing there thing. Quite possible they arnt working, in warmer weather you wouldnt even notice the difference, could be a few other reasons, timer, or some of them could be stuffed - it happens and they are cheap
AnswerID: 111129

Reply By: traveller2 - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 08:24

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 08:24
As has been said sounds like glowplugs, you can test them easily by removing the busbar/link joining them all, use a test lamp with the lead connected to positive battery, then touch the probe to the end of the glowplug, if the test lamp comes on the plug is ok.
Glowplugs go open circuit usually when they burn out.
Not a good idea to connect power to them directly for testing as you can blow them very quickly. Some types have a max power on time of 6 seconds by which they have reached white hot.
When replacing them GENTLY screw them out with the correct spanner, if tight, work them in and out to remove carbon buildup on the combustion chamber end. If they unscrew all the way but are still stuck spray some wd40 or similar down around the end to soften the carbon. Be careful not to break the end off inside or you will have big probs gettting the broken bit out.
AnswerID: 111139

Reply By: CUM800 - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:02

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 19:02
Thanks All,

Ripped out the old ones after it appeared that only one was working and replaced them today. Stared first time like a charm.

One thing, rang nissan dealer for a price, $79.92 each. Then rang the local spare parts,(large business}, supplying all the local mechanics, $25.00 each.

Got my mate a local radiator repairman to get them in for me from the spare parts mob, $19.80 each. Let your fingers do the walking.

Once again thanks all.

John
AnswerID: 111490

Sponsored Links