Water tank underneath 80/100s

Submitted: Friday, May 13, 2005 at 03:52
ThreadID: 22954 Views:2855 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Boss at one of my many places of work had a water tank underneath his 100 with the tap coming out the side underneath the side step. He was always ripping the tap off and losing water, we tried a few thingswith copper pipe being no better than rubber. My 80 when I bought it had the same tank set up but with the tap directly onto the tank which was durable but a p.i.t.a to reach. I extended the tap using hose and cable tied to the side step struts but it was promptly ripped off. Currently I have a stop cock directly on to the back of the tank with braided plumbers hose extending the tap under the side steps. this works ok as if the tap is biffed or ripped off I still have water and I just have to reach under once when stopped.
Has any one come up with a good solution for these underbody watertanks?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:37

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:37
Davoe (WA)

May not be appropriate in your case but I use a small self priming pump located in the rear of my 100. On-Off switch and small outlet. Works O/K.

Reagrds
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 111131

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 17:48

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 17:48
Yup, I agree. My tank is not under the vehicle but it origionally was going to be and it would make no difference.

I use a a Sureflow Pressure activated self priming pump. About $100 from "the 12volt shop". I've mounted mine in the side pocket of the rear storage compartment and put an isolation switch with a missile cover in the back to stop it accidentally going off while where driving.

Give you the advatage of having pressured water (and not bad pressure either) with the convieniance of not needing to use switch's every time you want to get water. Because it's pressure activated it just go's when you turn the tap on and turn's off automatically.
FollowupID: 367600

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:50

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 07:50
Mine is thesame as yours...a PITA to get to....i have bought a "whale" pump and will put it in soon, which will allow me to pump it to wherever i want to mount an outlet...ive seen outlets coming out of the foot scuff just inside the rear doors....(one of those fold down caravan jobbies)
Andrew
AnswerID: 111133

Reply By: traveller2 - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:13

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:13
The out of town tank has the pickup at the rear of the tank, they have a whale in line pump mounted on the outside rear of the tank and you can have the outlet up on the rear bumper or anywhere you want.
AnswerID: 111145

Reply By: Longreach - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:59

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 09:59
I have the same under my 100 with the tap under the side step, but it is right up front behind the mad flap for the front wheel. Haven't lost it yet. I expect I would loose the mudflap before the tap. Having said all that, the family complain about the accessibility so I am thinking about something like this http://www.bla.com.au/Tweed_Coast/product_group.cfm?id=1428&s=1 or cheaper if I can find it.
AnswerID: 111147

Reply By: WheelTravel - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:01

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:01
I have a 52l tank behind the sub tank on my Troopy. Same thing happened, tap snapped off. I now use a simple bung when off rd which does not stick out at all. Then when I want to use the tap I unscrew the bung and screw in the tap. I have it perfected now so that I barely lose a drop of water when changing them over.

I usually use my water tanks to fill up containers so I can just unscrew the bung and fill up the bucker/container and then rescrew the bung. I do this if serious 4wheelin is immenent. If I want more control, I screw the tap in.

Cheers
AnswerID: 111163

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:19

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 12:19
What about using compressed air to force the water out of the tank....you could have the outlet as high/whereever you want. Simply plumb up a hose from your on-board air compressor or receiver air tank to the water tank. Have a tap in the air line which you can turn on to pressurise the water tank and the water will start to run out the outlet; nice as you like!! Of course you would need to have a fully sealed intake pipe (I think they are in the under-bonnet area and not sure what sort of cap is used, but it would have to be a screw on jobbie.)
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 111168

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 16:23

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 16:23
Good call roachie.
I have seen a few tanks with this idea. A garden hose with a tap on the end for the outlet and a screw on water tight lid at the filler- I imagine its pretty standard, or would be easily done with the right sized rubber gasket. Plumb a few PSI into it thru a recycled tyre valve and you're sorted.
FollowupID: 367592

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 18:05

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 18:05
Good idea, the only problem I can see is that when setup at camp for a while your pressure would drop and the air compressor would either kick in (make a rachet and flattern your batteries) or it would become ineffective. That's why the pressure activated (carvan type) pumps are so good. Mines using a max of 4 amps at full pressure. When we went away for my brothers bucks party the other week we used nearly 50L of water in one day/night. Trying to do that with compressed air would be a bit of a mission, as it was with that, the lights, stereo and fridge going it hurt the bat's bad enough!! LOL
FollowupID: 367603

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 18:07

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 18:07
Oh I don't know if I mentioned that they are also self priming so they don't need to be sumerged and can be placed at any height. My pump is much higher than my tank and the tap is normally mounted higher again. (I use a builders "quick clamp" with the tap and hose cable tied to it) so I can use the spray jet free hand (great for putting out the camp fire) or mount it to the tailgate or the spare tyre swing arm for normal use, filling the kettle, washing you hands etc.
FollowupID: 367605

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 20:42

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 20:42
Thanks guys. I will try my current set up for a bit longer. The problem with putting in an electric pump is that It would require plugging up the original hole and putting another in at the top. It would also require more plumbing work which is by nature vulnrable. My camper had a self priming pump in it which were good but very unreliable as I was on my 3rd when i sold it (admitidly the 1st was in it at the time, and the second was out of a caravan built in the 70s)
FollowupID: 367616

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 17:49

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 17:49
Hey Roachie,

Maybe I'm asking too much or just being really cheap but how about this?

Could the water tank presurised from your compressor then work as a receiver tank as well? It would make a BIG receiver, pump up a couple of tyres out of that.

Duncs
FollowupID: 367654

Reply By: Crackles - Friday, May 13, 2005 at 20:36

Friday, May 13, 2005 at 20:36
A great set up I've looked at had an electric preasure pump plumbed to the rear of the car with a trigger tap to avoid possible water loss. As a back up he also had a caravan hand pump mounted just inside the rear door. Myself I've found it better to fit water containers inside the car as on hot days tanks mounted underneath tend to heat up too much from the exhaust & reflection off the road. Great if you want a shower but useless if you want to drink it.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 111226

Sponsored Links