Used an HID light conversion anyone?

Submitted: Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 18:22
ThreadID: 22980 Views:2549 Replies:7 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I found a site with HID conversions for headlights at http://www.impactmagic.com.au/ and wondered whether anyone had tried them as an alternative to other upgrades. I know that some have been using wiring loom upgrades to use more powerful lights but with HID and a reduction in power required it may be a good alternative. The cost is under $1000 but bearing in mind the HID option at purchase with some cars it does make one wonder. They are Japanes made but it is suggested they give 1.5-2 times the light in the advertising.

I did see some on Ebay a couple of months back.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:12

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:12
Would love HID but is it worth nearly a grand? Like you John I would love to hear feedback from those that have them.

One peice of feedback I HAVE heard is that they are so bright that you can't see a thing when you switch to low beam.

Muddy
AnswerID: 111290

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:32

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:32
Well with the car I drive I decided not to spend the $2k++ on the option but some spend a few hundred on a loom to upgrade the power to their lights, with better globes. These actually would be lower power and not interfere with the reflectors, in theory, with output of heat to plastic based reflectors as I understand higher output quartz globes can.

The low beam I guess could be taken care of by low beam as some are combination high/low. Actually with the 240 Blitz Lightforce a switch to low beam is bad enough :-(
FollowupID: 367662

Follow Up By: Muddy 'doe (SA) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 22:20

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 22:20
Yes I would be more interested in a low beam HID upgrade. If you have the right type of headights (projectors and not reflectors) then you can achieve 2 to 3 times the brightness with out glaring other traffic into flashing you. The Hi/Lo combo looks good. Or maybe just the low beam and have good spotties for the High beam work.

As David points out below, many is the time I am stuck with using crappy low beam and can't see &@#$. Am quite happy with the light available from my High beams and the Narva spots but would really like better low beams.

Muddy
FollowupID: 367667

Follow Up By: timglobal - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:59

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 23:59
Is there any provision in these systems (there seems to be no info on their website) for self-levelling beams. A legal req. normally to prevent retinal burning to oncoming folk.

3000K of unmarshalled light hurts!!!

Tim
FollowupID: 367905

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:23
Timl, 2000k of unmarshalled light hurts too if it is unmarshalled and close, or very focused, some lights work at 6000k. It is all colour temperature here, not the brightness.

I am interested to know how particular globes work in the holders they are said to be designed for, "H4" etc.. I do imagine that they are focused for the description. I don't know many 4bys that are fitted with self levelling headlights Tim. If they were they would be focussing at the surrounding hills some of the time, some time at the ground in front, then what of aftermarket driving lights?
FollowupID: 367933

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:01

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:01
Nick Mannell had them on his GU at the OBC, hi and lo beam, they were simply awesome. I would contact him at www.mannellmotors.com and ask where he got them from and mention that a great marshall from the OBC suggested you call him. I cant justify the dollars personally.

However the PLUS 30 (narva?) globes in a Pajero there seemed to be a cheap option, i'd definitely try them first. got to get that CD from you too JR to find out how to remove the headlight and clean it out.

atb Bonz
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 368819

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:42

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 21:42
Not much point in being able to see over 1km down the road if you are uable to switch to high beam without dazzling someone.

I drove 400 km at nighta few weeks ago and never oncewas able to go to high beam. Ok if youare in remote area's but then I try not to drive at night.
AnswerID: 111293

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:07

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:07
I guess David if the spread is better and some penetration, the lights are better for us guys who actually aren't in a remote area but like better lights than are OE, because we need to see to get home safely. I have used mine and not focussed to a pencil but slightly wide to cover the sides of the road ahead.

Sounds like you had heaps of traffic when I prefer not to drive anyway, I can understand the situation then as you describe. Son has an 80 series though and even high beam needs a few candles extra so 400 kms on dip would be a pain.
FollowupID: 367677

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:16

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:16
I drove 400 km at nighta few weeks ago and never oncewas able to go to high beam. Ok if youare in remote area's but then I try not to drive at night.

... where on earth were you that you couldnt use high beam? Drove interstate trailers for 8 yrs, I used to just about wear out my spotties...
FollowupID: 367680

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 07:18

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 07:18
400 km? hmmm from memory that would get you to about 1/2 between iron knob and Kimba or if you took the right hook probably nearly to Pimba. perhaps to Innaston Np. I do most of my driving at night and preferably the later the better. If you takre off after about 9 most of the traffick is gone and the roos just sit on the side of the road (they do most of their hopping at dawn and dusk) and it is just you and the truckies - plenty of time to use your hi beam
FollowupID: 367686

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 21:48

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 21:48
yea I'm with you Davoe. Im a night traveller... Rather go with trucks than chicks in fiestas SMSing eachother while drinking coffee, while unwrapping their tuna and avacado foccia and putting on makeup, while sitting on 60 in a 110 zone in the fast lane

even round here in town, when ever I can, I wack the high beams on, I like to see whats happening, so what if you have to dip them few times a minute...
FollowupID: 367723

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 22:35

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 22:35
Used to be a simple matter in the camper - drive till stuffed then pull over and jump in back then get an early start to it. Now I will have to spend an extra 5 min rolling the swag out. Just had to keep an eye out for truckies as I would travel at 90 and at night they rule the roads and get a bitbleepgetting stuck behind or having to gun it to overtake (adds to fuel consumption and bottom line I guess) so i would back off and indicate for them to go past even on short straights. You see some strange stuff at 3.00am like 3 road trains not 10m apart riding slipstream, imagine passing that in your old diesal huffer!
FollowupID: 367724

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:04

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:04
hahahahah T-Man you break me up
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 368820

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:19

Saturday, May 14, 2005 at 23:19
From your link John, have you looked at the price of replacement bulbs?

HID Bulb 10000K D2K 2 pieces
Normally AUD $687
: Special AUD $644

Sign me up for 20 spares..
AnswerID: 111300

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 08:35

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 08:35
I didn't have a look that far Bruce but understand that they work a lot longer than the quartz globes. If mercury vapour and the like was an indication for high voltage systems to fire the atoms, that may not mean a lot.

Mind you I found I could break a quartz globe playing with the initial adjustment of my 240s. ;-(
FollowupID: 367688

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 21:45

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 21:45
They would have to last multiple cars, not just longer to even be 100000000000000000000000000000th worth considering!
FollowupID: 367722

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 07:40

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 07:40
JohnR,

I know of a few vehicles that have the HID conversion and they work great, on high and low beam.

They work at a 4WD accessories shop so I guess they got them for cost, but if you are doing a lot of night time driving then I reckon they just might be worth it.

Wayne
AnswerID: 111311

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 08:42

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 08:42
Interesting to hear Wayne, thank you. I only know of them on OE stuff, have them on the back of one of our tractors as a worklight and really wonder how that fits with the higher level of cost that they attract at the moment too.

I guess that as more they are used the lower the cost will creep as has been the case with all technology like DVD recorders/players and the like. The 4WD store angle is a bit of a marketing area too I guess, if they reckon "the staff have 'em........." so they must be good.
FollowupID: 367689

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:35

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 20:35
I think you missed what I was tring to say. I myself have always had driving lights but unless you are really remote and away from traffic it is hard to use them.

Whether we like it or not most of us have to travel a reasonable distance in traffic to get where we are going.

I like to keep off the road at night to enjoy the campfire etc but I appreciayte if yo8u have to drive for a living then buy all means get the brightest lights you can.

All I was saying is that some lights don't get used because they shine too far where a smaller output set would be better. My previous vehivle had a set of ipf super rally's which had a lower output as well as a high output beam Perfect situation.

I find it a bit funny that some of you who say bigger and brighter is better also have complained about those wankers with the Subaru's and HSV's etc with fog lights on.

Well that is the same as having to face HID lights a kilometre away. Just because you are a long way away doesn't mean they are not bright.

AnswerID: 111376

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 08:53

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 08:53
Thanks again David. I live in a country area and the OE lights are not penetrative at all. MY car is a different story but they don't match the driving lights. I am also very happy not to use my driving lights with oncoming traffic and or have the lights up either where there is constant lighting for circumstances.

The Subie-wankers and HSV-wankers have their fog lights set up as fog lights to point from down low and aim at anyone below a truck bonnet. I guess if they annoy me enough I may flash mine too, but have not done that. Funnily, none of the HID lighs have troubled me like people who fail to dip their driving lights and have a full width of light across the front.

The thing also about the Subie-wankers and HSV-wankers lights. They all point to the front. The fog lights on my car actually apread towards the side to illuminate the fog line along the side of the road, previous car too. There seems to be no regulation or knowledge of where they should point, or at least little policing. I guess that is the question we should be persuing or at least the policing of it.
FollowupID: 367751

Reply By: Ingenious - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 22:04

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 22:04
Sorry in advance JohnR for this short response, (ExploreOz logged me out an I lost the really long one)
1. HID is worth every cent. (I've had mine for 1 year & no regrets)
2. Only fit a hi/lo kit that has HID on both hi & low beams. (some kits use a halogen high beam)
3. Check that the size & shape of the solinoid on the back of the hi/low bulbs will fit youre OEM headlights WITHOUT needing to cut chunks out of youre pride & joy.
4. NOTE that HID headlight conversion kits are illegal to by fitted & used in Australia
so MAKE sure you adjust your lights so you don't blind on coming vehicles or you'll get pinched for sure.
Cheers Terry.
P.S. I got mine from Frank at Xenon Oz. (Google should them)
AnswerID: 111389

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 08:40

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 08:40
Terry, thanks for the response though, and understand the problems occasionally of losing responses. I tent to blame Telsta for mine.

I note your comment on their worth, and I do remember when halogen globes came on the market they were expensive. There is a point at which the technology starts to become more common and the costs slide with competition we will opt for the better option. They are too high for me at this stage now I have the 240s in I am sure I would find them hard to justify. The car may be a different story though with not the penetration.

On the adjustment side, the worst set of xenon lights I have peered at were on a UK police car I think.

Thanks again.
FollowupID: 367748

Reply By: rolande- Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:20

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 20:20
G'Day John,
Just a small thought to consider.

2 X Bosch relays
couple metres heavier cable
Pair of those Plus 50% globes

For around $100 you may find the lighting good enough to not want the HID's

If you do still want them, Autopro in Elizabeth St. Melbourne advertise $799 fitted for a set of H4's.

Hope this helps

Rolande
AnswerID: 111686

Sponsored Links