From Patrol to Pajero?

Submitted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 09:27
ThreadID: 22992 Views:2703 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks.
I'm in the decision stage about what to replace my current 97 GQ 2.8TD Patrol with. Currently the Patrol is only used for trips away, be it for weekends or holidays, as I have a work vehicle, but as I plan to retire in about 2 years the new 4WD will then become my everyday transport as well.
The relatively obvious choice would be a 3 litre Patrol and I have to say that is at the top of my short-list. The new Pathfinder is also on the list, as is the Prado once its new diesel becomes available. The final vehicle on the list, and probably next after the Patrol (at the moment) is the DiD GLX Pajero.
Things that appeal with the Pajero are better size and manouverability, better performance and economy and better drivability on all surfaces other than high articulation areas. I had a relatively brief test drive of a GLS DiD auto and initial impression was that it was great for everday driving.
The things I'm not sure about with the Pajero are its overall reliability and its ability to survive rough roads like the Gunbarrell or Cape York fully loaded.
So my question to the knowledgable out there in forumland is what experiences have people had with the Pajero in preparing the vehicle for, and using it on, these types of trips. Useful accessories available? Problems with reliability? All information gratefully received and digested.
Thanks in anticipation.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 09:38

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 09:38
I'd be careful of clearance issues with the Padj etc. Brothers new Prado GXL looks the part but so many things seem low or vulerable in the bush.
I know my ideas are somewhat dated, but I'm still only happy with the larger 4wds on decent trips. They still seem to have the edge on space availiable to carry all the stuff we need on a trip. Spares in the bush can still be a problem for other than the big 2.
No doubt others will wrap me across the knuckles, as there are some serious contenders out there. Horses for courses I guess.
AnswerID: 111317

Follow Up By: Tiger - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 11:16

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 11:16
If you refer to the vehicle specs you will see that the clearance on the Paj is actually greater than a prado.

I've just traded a NM paj for a 120 Prado (tax reasons only otherwise I would have kept it).
The approach and ramp over angle on the Paj are also far better. Articulation is probably there only shortcoming, however haveing said that I never had any real problems in the 4 years I had the vehicle. it also has a lot more storage space than the prado and the roof rack sizing that is available is also far larger. LOTS to recommend a PAJ.
FollowupID: 367691

Reply By: Scubaroo - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 09:50

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 09:50
Definitely wander over to one of the Pajero clubs and have a read up on the vehicles - first hand biased accounts :-)
AnswerID: 111318

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 13:28

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 13:28
goodday jim

are you towing anything or likely to tow in the future
what weieghts etc we bought the 4.2tdi nissan and have marched up in size of caravans and am now glad i got the 4.2
unfortunatly all these things have to be thought of when planning a long term vehicle
my missus is happy to change vans till "we " get the 1 we are happy with but i am not allowed to keep changing cars

steve
ps i am happy with my nissan
AnswerID: 111331

Follow Up By: Jim Evans - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 11:23

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 11:23
Don't tow currently as we are long term Shippshape users and still love its ease of setup while touring. However once I retire that could change as we would like to do some more liesurely travelling and the Shippshape is not so suitable for that. A caravan becomes more likely then, but never to the extent of some that seem to need to take their whole household with them. I think the Pajero DiD would tow at least as well as the Patrol 3L as far as the motor is concerned, though the abilities of the rest of the vehicle are still an unknown to me. Hence the questions on the forum. I have considered the 4.2 Patrol, but the additional $8K in the purchase price and the cost of regular services (10+ litres of oil & 2 oil filters every 5000km) is a bit of a worry.
FollowupID: 367766

Reply By: Fordskin - Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 17:08

Sunday, May 15, 2005 at 17:08
Go the Pajero
AnswerID: 111344

Reply By: Member - Robert T (NSW) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:28

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:28
Hi JIM I own a3l nissan patrol 2001 and tow a 2225kg windsor statesman royal witha3.7mtr ultalite boat on roof racks i find this a perfect setup when towing at 90 to 95kph in 4th gear i get 6 to 6.5 kplitre when not towing 9 to10 kplitre always tow in4th if manual only 5th going down hill or will chew out this applise to all 4wd and cars have had 4.2 coil cab non turbo nissan biggest heap of ------ very heavy on diesle
AnswerID: 111851

Follow Up By: DEANO WA - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:13

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 20:13
hi robert t, just wondering how the gu is handling the weight.???
FollowupID: 368730

Follow Up By: Member - Robert T (NSW) - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:39

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 21:39
deano what weight thats how happy i am
FollowupID: 368863

Reply By: Wils - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:56

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 22:56
Hi Jim,
I own an NP Pajero. Have done some challenging bush bashing in it dragging a camper trailer. fuel economy increased from 12L/100k fully laden/no trailer, to 14.5L/100k with trailer. (by fully laden I mean 150L fuel, 200L water plus usual wanna stay civilised inbush gear.) What has me screaming the praises of Mitz at the top of my voice is the auto gearbox. Only critisism I've heard of regarding towing with the Paj, has been from Patrol owners. not sure its one eyed or valid, as I have not towed with a Patrol. I have the GLX by the way, got a good deal - it was an ex-demonstrator, so had a much upgraded spec. happy hunting.
AnswerID: 112009

Sponsored Links