Nigel..Megapulse question

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 05, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 2302 Views:2150 Replies:10 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Nigel.

Have you, or do you know anyone personally that has had experience with the Mega Pulse unit.

I am very suspicious about things that come in little boxes. I believe that a racing car driver staked his reputation on a little black box and almost lost his credibility, so I am told.

As for testimonials supplied??????

Regards
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
What is a 'Mega Pulse' unit?

The only Mega Pulse I know is when a good looking bird fly's (read walks) past!
AnswerID: 8257

Reply By: Peter j - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Yes have had personal experiance of megapulse ,have seen them used on old deep cycle batts, and resoration was very good.Also have been used by armed forces for many years,
AnswerID: 8262

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Would you recommend them to people?

I was lookin at the the other day too, they sound too good to be true!

The Brock thing is laughable, and 15 yrs ago!
0
FollowupID: 3962

Reply By: Savvas - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
The particular racing driver you refer to, one known as "king of the mountain", did stake his reputation on some little box that supposedly realigned all the molecules in your car to make it perform better, get 100mpg (ok I'm exagerating), and handle superbly even with under inflated tyres. How his career survived this is a mystery.

This magical box was attached to the firewall of the car but had no electrical connections whatsoever.

Don't confuse this with a megapulse. Not the same thing at all. The megapulse is based on science, and is made specifically to extend the life of a battery through eliminating sulfation.
AnswerID: 8265

Reply By: OziExplorer - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Ah yes, I know the Mega Pulse you are now talking about. Yes, used to work with old style technology batteries. Definitely will not work with moden no antimony in the lead batteries.
AnswerID: 8276

Follow Up By: Janset - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
HI.
What is 'no antimony' in the lead batteries. I do not know what that is.

Edify me please :)

Regards
0
FollowupID: 3981

Reply By: Eric - Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00

Wednesday, Nov 06, 2002 at 01:00
Janset.
When a battery has been left flat for a long time the acid reacts with the lead to form lead sulphate. Lead sulphate is an insulator and stops the battery from being charged. If you place a very high voltage to the battery a small current will flow and the battery will start to charge agian and convert most of the lead sulphate back to lead and sulphuric acid, but the high voltage will cause the battery to get very hot and explode, what the mega pulse unit does is to place the high voltage on to the battery for a very short time then switch it off to let the acid cool and then apply the high voltage agian, this is repeated many times until the insulation is removed. In practice the amount of damage to the battery by this method causes a build up of bits of plates at the bottom of the battery, this causes internal leakage or self discharge of the battery so the restoration is not reliable. I would be reluctant to recomend this mega pulse unit to be used on a battery that is important for your survival. This is the type of charger used to reclaim nicads and is the system used in 5 minute drill charges.
Eric.
AnswerID: 8283

Follow Up By: Janset - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Yes Eric.
It is a bit of a worry. When I read the recommended reports I sort of read that between the lines. I think the German report did say that damage was caused to the plates. Thinking along those lines, how long before plates short are circuited by the Debris.

The CSIRO report to my way of thinking seemed to squeeze everything into a very short span of time under rather severe conditions and yet two of the batteries with the same voltage mega-pulse device dod-ah gave vastly different readings. The German test as I recall were all done with batteries already rejected as dead or there abouts.

What we need I thing is a nice long test that is connected to (several) battery for the life of the battery and then compare the results to batteries, same brand and type that were subjected to the same things but were not fitted with the Pulse-charge.

Just a thought. I was talking to an older 4WD club member at the meeting last night and he told me that as I have nothing to loose anymore with the deep cycle battery that I have with the dead cell, perhaps I should try the old 'bushie' trick of putting a teaspoon full of Epsom's salts into it and see if it really works or it is an old wives tale.

Regards
0
FollowupID: 3980

Follow Up By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
So I guess the best option is to use your battery regularly then fully recharge it ASAP (and don't expect the alternator to supply 100% recharge).

Otherwise it's a choice between sulphation or possible plate damage.

I guess using a megapulse sometimes would de-sulphate but not cause any many problems as one connected permanently.
0
FollowupID: 4070

Reply By: Eric - Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Nov 07, 2002 at 01:00
Janset.
Before you put the epsom salts into the battery you could try to find out the cause of failure. The cell will be either open or short cct. place a globe across the battery and measure the voltage, if it is 10.4 you have a short if it is lower you are open. it If it is open then you are screwed but if it is shorted by a piece of plate laying at the bottom you may be able to move it. Do you have acces to thread cutting taps? if you do you can drill holes in the bottom of each cell and drian out the sludge. then tap threads and plug the holes using plastic screws and silastic. be very carefull with the acid it bites.
Eric.
AnswerID: 8325

Follow Up By: Janset - Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Eric.
Too late, I put the ES in before I read your reply. I did however put a digital volt metre across the terminals and sure enough 10.4 volts.

Like I said too late. Now we will see if the ES can help. The battery is on the onboard Power Switching Converter and pumping out 13.8 volts. I will leave it on for about 24 hours or may be more and see what happens. I also have a battery charger that is capable of what the maker jokingly call fast charging of 12 amps with surge capability of 18 amps.

In the past, and I may try it again, I connected my charger to the generator and cranked the revs up so as it is running 60 Mhz cycle. That way I was putting in a continuous 12-15 amps.

A good boil with the ES in it may just fix it, or............completely.

Regards
0
FollowupID: 4010

Reply By: Janset - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Well one tea spoon of ES did nothing. Tomorrow in goes the second tea spoonfull and will see what happens. :(
AnswerID: 8409

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00

Monday, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Janset,

Sorry about the late reply - been working too many hours a day.

I put a megapulse on my deep cycle in my trailer as it was recommended to my by Opposite Lock. They reckon it helps with batteries that don't get used continuously.

I've had it for about 3 months so I can't really say what effect it has had.
AnswerID: 8413

Follow Up By: Janset - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Nigel.
How old is your deep cycle battery?

Regards
0
FollowupID: 4087

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
The battery I put it on is about 14 months old.
AnswerID: 8441

Follow Up By: Janset - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Nigel again.

I will be interested to see how you go.

Remember I had to return one before the 6 months warranty period as it would not hold a charge, and the replacement one was confirmed dead with the dead cell at 18 months, but I suspect that it died a couple of months ago as the wife was complaining the fridge was not getting cold as it should when we were on our last trip.

I was remiss and did not put the hydro in to check.

Upon reflection and an educated guess, I would say it died after about 14 months. So much for the good old slogan "Made in the good old US of A", phooey!

From now one my next battery will be Australian. By the way what brand and AHr size is yours?

Regards

0
FollowupID: 4092

Reply By: Member - Nigel - Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:00
I've got a US made Federal 95 Ah and a fairly new Century Yuasa (Queensland made) 75Ah for the trailer.

The Federal is under the bonnet on the left wheel arch above the extractors so gets fairly hot. It still runs the fridge for a long weekend trip. But I never rely on the alternator to recharge it fully - I use a mains charger after every deep cycle.
AnswerID: 8447

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)