Bike racks and camper trailers

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 13:44
ThreadID: 23024 Views:6942 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All, just trying to work out the best way to carry a couple of treadlies (pushbikes) away on the soft top camping trailer. Has anyone mounted them on the drawbar or such.

Skinny
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappa - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 13:51

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 13:51
Number of different ways , depending on how many.

Whats on the Frame of your CT now ?

Quite a few people carry them there , behind the upright spare . . . no tool box though.

Some make up a simple frame for the top (like a tinny rack) , and a friend of mine has a bike rack (for 4 bikes I think) , on the back of his CT , bit like a Car bike rack.
AnswerID: 111444

Reply By: Member - Karl - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:09

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:09
Mate,

I am in the process of converting my off road trailer into a camper trailer and I have the same problem.

What I am going to do is get some thick gauge 60mm square tubing and make a hitch system the same as the Hayman Reece for the tow hitch, at the back of the trailer so that I can mount the bike rack there.

That way I can remove the bike carrier when I stop and move it out of the way, same as I do now with my tow ball hitch. That way if I am not taking the bikes then I don't need it etc.

The Hayman reece tow ball hitch are 50mm and they fit into a 600mm square tube.

Karl.
AnswerID: 111457

Follow Up By: Member - Karl - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:10

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:10
That should be 'and they fit into a 60mm square tube'.
FollowupID: 367794

Reply By: Plugger - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 20:06

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 20:06
Skinny

I have done what karl is going to do. Mounted a hayman reece type tube on the back of the camper trailer. I purchased a kaymar swing away bike carrier and mounted my own bike rack on it. It carries three bikes. Instead of taking it off when I need to get into the back of the CT I just swing it away. When the CT is set up I just take the rack off and swing the carrier out of the way. You can get them to swing either left or right depending on your CT.

Although over $300 we have found that it is more usable by being able to simply swing it out of the way.

They do recommend on road use only and I have not tried taking it off road.

Regards Plugger
AnswerID: 111501

Reply By: Member- Rox (WA) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:24

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 21:24
I'e got a mulvan star (3 bike square) fitted to the rear of my camper been traveling for 7 months so far off rd. No problems except you have to move it to swing open the tailgate.
AnswerID: 111522

Reply By: Member - Meggs - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 14:10

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 14:10
I saw a great setup last year on a caravan. All they did was to get a piece of "top hat" I think that is what it is called it is the metal roofing batten turned it upside down and this was where the wheels fitted and got a piece of exhaust tube bent which fitted into the jockey wheel clamp and fitted a clamp of a small section of rubber belting to the top of the exhaust tube with some clamps to clamp around the seat. The only drawback I could see is you would have to make the ends so that you wouldn't cut your legs if you walked into them.
AnswerID: 111620

Sponsored Links