Navman PiN Pocket PC

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 13:44
ThreadID: 23025 Views:2276 Replies:7 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone had the chance to use the new Navman PiN Pocket PC - I realise they are reasonably new to the market but I would appreciate any insight. We are considering purchasing this unit for our new F250 dual cab (which we will be using to tow a 28ft Cat - finding ourselves in a dead-end street or similar can be a little awkward), but as I understand it we should be able to transfer it between vehicle quite easily - hence we will get maximum use from the navman. They appear to be "reasonably" priced - if you say $899.00 quickly. Whilst I am a very competent navigator we are thinking this devise will give us more help around town but will also accurately pin point where we are when we are more remote also. The added bonus is its ability to integrate with Windows Mobile™ 2003 OS meaning we don't have to find room for the laptop in the cab - we can just download at the end of the day - well thats my understanding of the system. If anyone has different or more info we would appreciate hearing about it, at the end of the day $900 is $900 and if the "thing" doesn't do what you want it to then its an expensive exercise.

I'm new to your site - but it looks very interesting and informative, hoping to learn lots - cheers Jo-Anne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Redback - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:13

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:13
Hi Jo-Anne we have the Navman ver 3 software it's pretty good aspecially around the city and country tracks and with the voice navigation even better it's also capible to upload maps from your computer only downside we found is it won't connect for using in conjunction with a laptop the maps have to be loaded on to it from your PC or laptop.

On our last trip to Sunny Corner the Smart ST noticed every fire trail in the area we did use Oziexplorer but we didn't have too it's just that Ozi has more detail and we use 125,000 topo not 250 scale.

We are happy with it,

Baz.
AnswerID: 111446

Reply By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:25

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:25
Thanks for that - I'v since found some more info including this bit

SmartSt software is okay but the unit has trouble surrendering it's port to other GPS software like OziExplorer and Fugawi and when it finally does it does not take the port back. Even a reset of the device will not help.

Did you have any problems with this? I must admit I'm very new to this type of devise and map systems (including OziExplorer) but I have noticed that this site uses Ozi... so I guess it must be a reasonably common program and presumably it is user-friendly.

The problem with technology is that just when you think you have a handle on it out pops something new or better and you have to start all over again - I've just got the hang of the old-style (5-7 years) boat GPS - without maps and charts.

Thanks for the info

Jo-Anne

AnswerID: 111449

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:39

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:39
Jo,

None of these devices allow you to share the com port, the problem people have is that they try to exit SmartST by pressing the X like windows but that does not quit the program, to quit the program and free the port (and memory) you have to bring up the menu and hit exit.

I have one running Smart ST v3 and Oziexplorer with 1 gig card and find it excellent.

There are also firmware updates for its GPS unit which is a SIRF unit.

Will
FollowupID: 367788

Follow Up By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:46

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:46
Is a 1 gig card standard or do you have to up-grade? Cost? Sorry SIRF??? what is this - remember I'm new to this type of technology.

Is it absolutely necessary to run both Smart ST v3 and Oziexplorer - what are the advantages?

Jo-Anne
FollowupID: 367792

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:43

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:43
Jo-ANne,
128mb is standard. You don't need a 1 gig card unless you are planning to use Oziexplorer with lots of maps cost depends between $89 to $140 and $250 for a 2 gig.

Sirf is the brand of GPS used by the NAVMAN PIN device.

You don't have to use SMartSt and Oziexplorer in fact you can't run them together unless you use com sharing software such as GPSGate.

I hope that makes it a bit more clear.

Will
FollowupID: 367797

Follow Up By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:23

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:23
Thanks Will - it certainly looks like we are on the right track - we can always give the basic Navman PiN a go to start with and see if we need to upgrade at a later date. Its not very likely that with a 28ft cat behind our vehicle we will be off-roading very much, but it will be nice to know exactly where we are at any time. When you leave Perth in any direction there is lots of open road.

Jo-Anne
FollowupID: 367828

Follow Up By: Never ending journey - Monday, May 23, 2005 at 19:50

Monday, May 23, 2005 at 19:50
Jo-Anne
I was the one that wrote "SmartSt software is okay but the unit has trouble surrendering it's port to other GPS software like OziExplorer and Fugawi and when it finally does it does not take the port back. Even a reset of the device will not help."

I can say now that the unit I had was in fact faulty and that the Port could not be regained even by Navman. This however was not the fault of the Software SmartSt3. You can as Will has said above, easily run both SmartSt3 and OziExplorer on the same unit as I am doing now. You just have to remember to stop SmartSt3 when you start OziExplorer. I am running this setup with NATMAP 2005. For the whole of Victoria and NSW if you want to convert all of Australia you will need a 2 gig card.

I have been using the Navman Pin for about a month and find it to be very good.

Hope this helps
Dean

FollowupID: 368728

Follow Up By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 10:52

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 10:52
Thanks Dean - your information is very helpful and it certainly resolves the earlier "problems" - obviously Navman (the company) aren't too bad when it comes to after sale service. Lets face it from time to time a dud will come off any production line, its the chance you take and providing the company resolves the situation I guess we have to take that chance.
We are still some time away from heading off on our major trip (March 2007) and I know my husband is a little hesitant to buy now, I however want to be fully conversant with the machine so I know how it works and what it can do. Coming from the West we may need even more maps/charts - can you change charts as you need them ie WA then SA and then NSW or do you have to load all the maps at the same time?

Our current price in WA is about $895 which appears to be cheaper than some of the online sites.

Thanks again

Jo-Anne
FollowupID: 368783

Follow Up By: Never ending journey - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 17:05

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 17:05
Jo-Anne
Thanks for your message. If you want to stick with a small SD card you will need several to get you around Australia. If you have loaded all of Western Australia on a card the PIN will display the appropriate map for where ever you are in Western Australia. You dont have to load each individual map. However if you are taking a lap top or similar with you, you can certainly load the maps as you need them into the PIN. $895 is about standard price for the PIN check out this link which is $859 delivered to your door.

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/default.asp?category=GPS%3A+In-Car+Navigation&subcat=Navman&openmenu=15

I ended up going to Dick Smith Electronics and purchased mine for a price match of $773.10 which I could have got from Anaconda.

Hope this helps
Dean
FollowupID: 368813

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 22:41

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 22:41
Jo Anne,

Also check out the Mio 168 (the Navman is a rebadged Mio 168), same PDA/GPS but it comes with Destinator instead of Smart St, I have both and I think that Destinator is superior, it runs better and has more features for example a warning when you exceed the speed limit on a given road and also red light cameras, speed cameras, and all sorts of handy options that SmartST does not have.

Will
FollowupID: 368880

Reply By: Redback - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:34

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:34
Yeah that was a problem with the earlier versions but ver3 is better, we have never had this problem our only problem is with Oziexplorer if you don't get the datum right or you configuer it wrong, "e-gad" (ie) it doesn't tell you your putting the wrong info in it just lets you do it, we reckon it should not let you put in the wrong info.

Baz.
AnswerID: 111454

Follow Up By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:40

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:40
Now thats a bit beyond me at the moment - I'll have to check that out when I get a bit closed to actually having the devise in front of me and then work up to Oziexplorer I think. - Presumably you worked it all out in the long run, here's hoping it will be the same for me.

Thanks
Jo-Anne
FollowupID: 367789

Follow Up By: GUPatrol - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:41

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:41
Download the latest OziexplorerCE version, released on 14 may.
FollowupID: 367790

Follow Up By: Redback - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:59

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 14:59
Thanks GUPatrol will look at that tonight, Jo-Anne as GU says they are excellent once you learn how to use it they are good units, we would recomend them to anyone.

Baz.
FollowupID: 367793

Reply By: Ian & Jo-Anne - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:03

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 15:03
Thanks very much - I will do some more looking and learning - but so far you have both only re-inforce that I am on the right track. Now I've only got to convince my husband that we really do need one.

cheers
Jo-Anne
AnswerID: 111456

Reply By: ev700 - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:29

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 18:29
Jo-Anne
I'm heading off down the same path. I think you'll find that MIO is the same unit and it is worth getting the 1Gig plus Oziexplorer. Still cheap.

Would you mind giving an up-date when the decision is made please?
John
AnswerID: 111487

Reply By: Hoffy - Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:02

Thursday, May 19, 2005 at 11:02
Hi all. I have recently purchased a Navman PIN and are still learning how to drive it. Also new to GPS and the systems. My question is how can I use my Navman to give me a "breadcrum" trail and also go to a specific nominated latitude and longtitude points, similar to a conventional GPS. Any help would be appreciated. I brought the Navman mainly as a talking route unit but I guess I want more.

Keith
AnswerID: 111914

Reply By: Member - Peter R (QLD) - Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:07

Sunday, May 29, 2005 at 20:07
Dean,
You mentioned a price match between Anaconda and Dick Smith, for a Navman Pin.

I am looking to buy one of these and would appreciate which Dick Smith store you approached .

Also did Anaconda give you a price over the phone?

Thanks
Pedro
AnswerID: 113489

Follow Up By: Never ending journey - Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 16:44

Friday, Jun 03, 2005 at 16:44
Pedro,
Anaconda gave me the price in person they don't price match over the phone but if you show them proof of a cheaper deal they will beat it by 10%. I then went to the local Dick Smith Store here in Melbourne and showed them ANACONDAS price and they price matched it.

Regards
Dean
FollowupID: 370226

Sponsored Links