I learnt something new!

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 20:59
ThreadID: 23040 Views:1803 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Out wheeling the other day at Brooklyn 4wd park I heading up a short grassy hill. About halfway up I realised it was a lot steeper than it looked and I was in the wrong gear. Bummer. nearly at the top the old girl runs out of puff and stalls.

Now the book says the way you are supposed to deal with this situation is to

1, Apply handbrake and brakes
2, Select reverse
3, Release handbrake and brakes
4, start engine and drive car to bottom
5, Try again

This I probably would have done if it wasn't for the fact that I had slid sideways as I started up the slope and now had a fair old drop directly behind me

Preferred direction was forward

1, Apply handbrake
2, select first low range
3, release Handbrake
4, little gas, key engine and drive on up!

I was very surprised that the car started in this situation but will happily store this bit of info in the old brain.

The hill was steep enough to stop a deisel GQ in second low
I guess it pays to try something a bit different now and then

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:08

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:08
actually on a stall start where you want to continue up you hold the vehicle on the brake, select low 1st restart ,adjust hand throttle to about 1500 then release brake as you release clutch and up you go
AnswerID: 111538

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:14

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:14
I hope you weren't reading the book as you went along there Batboy!!!! If you were, you picked a helluva time to be learning how to 4 wheel drive! I can tell you for sure.... if you get the Stall Start wrong.... you're in a world of hurt!

BUT!!

At least you had the nouse to try something else! And yes, you can use a stall start in the forward direction as you have found! I have found myself in similar situations where it's better to go forward than reverse, and have actually used the hand throttle while having both feet on clutch/brake etc.... causes a bit of clutch ride but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Practice that Stall Start.... often!
AnswerID: 111539

Sponsored Links