2nd Fridge

Submitted: Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:35
ThreadID: 23044 Views:2432 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
G'daye,
Anybody that runs a 2nd fridge in their truck, can you fill me in on details, like :
Do I need that 3rd battery?
I am on ARB smart system
The other fridge would probaly be a 21l or 32l Engel
She would like it run as a freezer on those extended trips.
Would an 80watt solar panel help?
I don't like sittin around when out & about so i keep the batteries topped up even when camped for 3-4 days.
Have a great "Aussee" day.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:55

Monday, May 16, 2005 at 22:55
I run an Engle in the rear of my TLC 100series and a Waeco which sits behind the passenger seat as a fridge. I run both off a second battery hardwired. When driving I crank Engle up to max setting and once I make camp reduce setting to barely on. Fridge runs at 5c. Can maintain this for 2 days before needing to run motor. This suits me as I rarely spend more than 2 days at any single camp.
AnswerID: 111547

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 00:52

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 00:52
KiwiAngler,
are you aware that 5 degrees is above the maximum recommended temperature for food to be stored in a fridge, as recommended by the world Health Organization, and that when the temp is set at 5 it actually goes up far higher before the fridge actually turns on to bring the food and drinks back down to the setting of 5 degrees again.

sure the fridge will save your battery power when it is set at 5 degrees but the food will be safer for human consumption at 2 degrees as is recommended by the various health authorities.
FollowupID: 367915

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 01:36

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 01:36
varios authorities also recomend looking both ways before crossing the road, never running with scissors, banning leaning back on your chair (we all know what happened to the boy that did that!), dialling before you dig as well as drinkig in moderation (4 men and women 2) as well as not to forget wipe off 5 and driving tired can kill.
Oh btw different foods have different storage temps if you are reffering to fresh meat then between 0-2 will extend shelf life over 5 deg but with vegies you run the risk of partial freezing and loss of quality. Perhaps you also look in your freezer and see that it tells you meat will only last 6 months when in fact it will last many years ( had 10 year old fillet steak for a mates 21st his dad had saved for the occasion - still here!)
FollowupID: 367918

Follow Up By: Redback - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:29

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:29
ROTFLMFAO!!!!
FollowupID: 367959

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:37

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:37
Davoe,
Apparently, you believe your right. Indicating that you enjoy drinking your beer at 5+ degrees, I and many other's don't!!
It tastes far better at closer to <1 degree.
Yes it depends on your own priorities!

We are talking about a portable 12v camping fridge with a product with an expected shelf life of only about a week, not months.

Sure you can put lettuce and fish in the same area of the fridge, the fish may have salmonella after a few days at 5+ degrees and the lettuce will still be in very good condition... it depends on your priorities doesn’t it.
I would prefer to have cold freshly caught fish and cold beer any day, than a nice lettuce!
How many fridges would have lettuce, fish and drinks in the same compartment and set at 5+ degrees?

Read the milk label and it advises you to store it BELOW 4 degrees, so it would a realistic example as many ladies use milk in their cooking and keep it in the 12v camping fridge expecting it to remain in the same safe and drinkable condition as it is in their fridge at home.

That is why I use a 12 volt portable fridge with a dedicated freezer section that is actually 13 degrees colder than the normal fridge section.
I don't have the problem of keeping food at their recommended temperature and the meat still remains frozen, after all, that is why you use a fridge/freezer, .....isn’t it?

(HAD 10 year old fillet steak for a mates 21st his dad HAD saved for the occasion - STILL here!) ? ? ?
Why would you save a steak for 10 years?
I would think it would spoil to some degree after 10 years?
FollowupID: 367962

Follow Up By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 16:18

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 16:18
Woah there guys...if you cant play nicely I will ban you from the sandpit :-)))

What a difference one little number makes!!!

I mean't to type 2 (two) degrees celcius

Does that help?....have we all calmed down now? :-))))))))))

KiwiAngler makes mental note to himself:
To avoid netrage from forum members MUST remember to proof read message before sending in future :-))))

We are a spirited bunch aren't we...hehehehehe
FollowupID: 368004

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:23
Fishings was a bit lean in widgiemooltha last night but i got at least 1 bite with the right bait Have a good un Mainy :)
FollowupID: 368051

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 05:35

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 05:35
Oh and to answer you curiosity about the Steak we (him his dad and me) are all butchers and meat afficinados hence the perfect Fillet steak it was exquisite. Meat wont spoil at proper freezer temps but can suffer from freezer burn however this fillet was suction packed. Properly packaged meat can last almost indefinitly at proper freezing temps. One place Had a pig in the freezer for 5 years and they actually gave it a name (Butchers humer) but it finally gave way for a spit at a staff doo - delicious by all acounts. Food storage is a time/temperature thing ie the higher the temp the shorter storage time. Fresh meat/fish is not usually a problem as it will demonstrate its unsuitability for consumption by physically appearing spoilt. Most bacteria is on the surface and is killed by cooking (Salmonella is one of them) biggest problems is from ready to eat high protein/water foods - in other words last nights stew. Other bacteria produce toxins which are not effected by cooking.
FollowupID: 368098

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 10:03

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 10:03
" hence the perfect Fillet steak "
What was it that made this fillet steak so perfect that it had to be kept for 10 years in a freezer, instead of enjoying it at the time, and then buying a fresh fillet of quality steak for the party ?
FollowupID: 368125

Reply By: prado-wolf - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:23

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:23
Harry,

i run 2 Waeco's , one freezer and one fridge as well as the waeco armrest cooler in the prado and use 2 of the Thumper power packs but found that if you really want to cool the units , the power runs out after 2 days. For that reason i bought a honda eu10i to top up the batteries for 1-2 hours at night and also run the two electric blankets to make the simpson more comfortable this time.
AnswerID: 111574

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:00

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:00
G'Day Harry'
We have a waeco CF110 and a chescold 50l 3way. We find this to work really well because the chescold only runs of the second battery when we are driving hence no excessive drain, other than that it is on gas at the camp. This saves me when meal preparing because the bulk of the food is near where you are preparing it . The 110 then contains all the necessary beverages as well as having more freezer room for back up meat frozen veges and heaven forbid maybe even some fish if luck has it!!!!! We then have a Kipor1.0i genset for charging batteries if we are to stop in one place for more than 4 or 5 days.

Troopytrek!!!
AnswerID: 111579

Reply By: porlsprado - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:10

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:10
I run an explorer fridge/freezer section that has its own internal lid and yep stuff stays totally frozen (got sick of frozen pillie flavoured lettuce, uurk) and in the fridge is the other supplies. But now i also run a day fridge (1st model waeco) for beer. I mean it works really well cause a fridge full of beer takes ages to go up in temperature so i turn it off at night and in the early morning put on a separate battery connected to 2 x 40w solar panels and turn it right down (ie to a freezer setting, about 4 on the dial of 7). By pub opening time the bottom cans must be close to freezing but the battery is still 100% charged. Even if clouds roll over at mid afternoon the cans are still very cold by late at night (or maybe i can't tell at that stage). But i turn the fridge off mid-evening and restart the whole process the next morning. My 2nd fridge is 30L but as a freezer i think unless you were freezing loaves of bread 21L would be heaps.
AnswerID: 111696

Follow Up By: Harry - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:36

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 21:36
Thanks for all those replies fellas, gee I opened up a can of worms on that subject.
Okay, how about this 1
I am thinking of running 2 fridges and no freezer off the 2nd battery,
is there any need for solar panel(s) as my alternator kicks out 110 amps anyway, and i won,t sit around without driving for more than a day.
Fridge freezer sounds good though, but they are big, even for a Troopy.
Anybody been out to Kiwirrkurra (W.A.) to see Lenny's truck lately.
FollowupID: 368211

Sponsored Links