Longreach campsites/caravanparks

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 08:31
ThreadID: 23050 Views:3817 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day All'
Just wondering if any one can recommend any good camp grounds or caravan parks at Longreach.

Troopytrek!!!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:21

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 09:21
G'day Troopytrek,

Sorry can't help you with the info but was wondering is this your first stop?

We spent the weekend sewing canvas for kitchen annex sides - another step closer. We've had a slight change in plan, we may spend a week in the Kakadu area, our travelling companion has an uncle in Darwin who's happy to take us fishing but we needed to arrive a little later to make it work.

Heard a lot about Shady Camp so will see if I can convince others to have a camp there.

Kind regards
AnswerID: 111583

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 10:02

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 10:02
G'Day Beatit,

We are hoping to make this our first destination as we are booked in at Kurrumba between the 5th and 10th of July.

We realise with the kids this is a big ask, but all things going well if not the first day but the second day we hope to arrive in Longreach and spend approx 3 days there and then head to Kurrumba.

From there it is any ones guess as like you have no exact itinerary. Just a brief outline Gulf track,Darwin,Katherine,Kunanura,Broome,Alice and home.

Regards
Troopytrek
FollowupID: 367938

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 10:10

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 10:10
G'day Troopytrek,

Yeah a bit of a drive for the first day. We discovered that 21/9 was a critical date for us. This is about the latest date we would need to leave Broome if we are to make it back home in time and as it so happens the staircase to the moon and the markets are on the few days before. So we now have a date in our itinerary (other than leaving and starting work).

Kind regards
FollowupID: 367940

Follow Up By: OLLY - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:06

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 20:06
G'day Troopytrek,
Sorry I can't help with caravan parks but just for interests sake I have camped on the bank of the Thompson River a few times. There's an access rd that turns off to the right just after you cross the bridge on the northern side of town. The track takes you down to a local fishing spot. Good spot for an overnighter..

Enjoy your trip and stay safe..

Damien
FollowupID: 368204

Reply By: John - Qld - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:02

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:02
Trooptrek

Stayed at the Gunnadoo CP. Looked like the best when in LR.
Good sites for vans and grassy camping, new spa area etc. Very well run and very nice operators.
Great campfire entertainment with whipcracking and the dogs and geese thing.

gunnadoo

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 111592

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:07

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:07
Troopytrek,

I concur with John. Gunnadoo is definately the best one in Longreach. We stayed there in 2003 and the kids loved it, especially the entertainment. It is also close to the School of the Air, Agricultutal College and Qantas display.

Cheers

Glenn
4wdadventureoz.com.au
FollowupID: 367944

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:54

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 11:54
Thanks Guy's,

I have had a look and it looks great.
I will have to make a phone call now and see if they have any vacancies.

Regards
Troopytrek
FollowupID: 367955

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 14:59

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 14:59
We have booked into Gunnadoo Caravan Park. The owner was very abliging with all our questions in relation to the surrounding area and events that are going on for the time we will be there.
Thanks for the heads up on were to camp in the park but they only allocate a position when you arrive I prosume from this that first in best dressed even though we have booked.
FollowupID: 367998

Reply By: Patrol22 (Queanbeyan - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:37

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 12:37
Yep agree Gunadoo is a pretty good park and centrally located. Walking distance to the Stockman's Hall of Fame, QANTAS etc BUT be aware that it gets very very very crowded at the peak times - ie school holidays etc....and the grass!!! campsites are or rather were just big dustbowls when we were there in July last year. Drew a bit of humour actually with the signs telling us not to park on the grass and not a blade of grass to be seen.
Also the drainage for the main ablutions block couldn't handle the peak load and overflowed so would advise not siting yourself in either of the first lanes either side of the block.
Tent sites are (were) right down the back adjacent a large vacant block that had plenty of room for the kids to play in. Also had a couple of resident Brolgas who were very friendly.
All in all I'd give this park a 3 out of 5 rating.
Cheers
Pete
AnswerID: 111606

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 18:00

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 18:00
Hello Troopytrek - for all Queensland Parks try the www.qparks.asn.au site - these are all Parks affiliated with the Caravan Industry Association - they have also a very good Directory put out each year - should be able to pick one up in any Qld Information Centre - and check their web also. Have fun.
AnswerID: 111662

Follow Up By: Member - Troopytrek - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:56

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:56
Thanks Ruth for the info on the caravan park site this will be very helpful. I will go and visit the information centre tommorow and see if they have the directory.We are looking forward to the trip so much that we search this site everyday to find new and interesting things to look out for.

Regards
Troopytrek
FollowupID: 368059

Sponsored Links