differential noise HJ61

Submitted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 19:41
ThreadID: 23072 Views:3503 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I recently purchased a grey import HJ61 and had the oil in the rear diff changed (valvoline LSD oil was put in). After that, I went for a long outback trip-on return, I noticed some oil on the rear axle. It turned out that the rear diff breather leaked. I had it checked by ARB and all, including the oil level, were OK.

HOwever, I started noticing a funny noise coming from the back of the truck, it sounds like the tyre noise, but it is present even when stopping with clutch disengaged. It is not too loud, but I am not sure should there be any noise from the differential at all. A funny thing is that any bumps on the road can be heard as "bumps" in that noise. This made me innitially think it must be the tyres, but am not sure any more because the tyres would probably not make the noise at very low speeds (just before stopping), and no noise comes from the front (unless the engine noise masks it out). Would it be posible that this occurs because of change to cold weather and the oil still didn't get warm?

I am not certain whether to change the dif oil again, of course the mechanic will say definbitely yes. What kind of a noise is acceptable, if any? I removed the rear seats, which would make this noise more audible inside the truck

I read in another post that the rear and front diffs can be exchanged - does this apply to the trucks with LSD at the rear? I would have thought an LSD would be a bit different than a standard diff...but I know little about the bits and pieces in the diffs.

Thanks,

Joseph
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter 2 - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:30

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 21:30
If it responds to 'bumps' it is quite likely a rear wheel bearing rather than a diff problem.
Best to get a diff/trans place to get it running while on a hoist etc and with their experience might be able to isolate where it is coming from.
Peter
AnswerID: 111700

Follow Up By: Tim HJ61 (WA) - Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:11

Tuesday, May 17, 2005 at 22:11
Agreed Peter,

Could be all sorts of things. I had bumps coming from the back of my 61 and found I needed to replace stabiliser bar bushes for example.

I had another bigger bump when a little white car wedged itself underneath my nice chrome bumper. Unfortunately for him he had to replace the front quarter of his car - teach him to look where he is going next time maybe!!

Figtree, there are a number of previous threads on LSD's and noises, including in 60 series. Enjoy your searches.

Regards
Tim

FollowupID: 368067

Reply By: David/Dave - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:02

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 15:02
Check all your rear wheel bearings, as they can sound pretty awful when they're on the way out, and this might seem stupid but have you checked the brake linings lately?
AnswerID: 111798

Reply By: Moz - Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 23:08

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 at 23:08
Joseph,
A quick check would be to drain the diff oil into a clean tray,
then inspect the oil and drain plug for any shiny flecks of metal.
This is a sign that either a bearing or gear is worn in the diff.
Also if you saw oil leaking from the breather it could be a sign that
the diff is on its way out. The oil foams up and weeps out through
the breather.

Cheers Moz
AnswerID: 111877

Reply By: figtree - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:41

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:41
I just got a call from the mechanic: it seems, the diff bearings are gone. HE says the truck would not go much further like this.

This does surprise me, the noise was not too loud, just like a bit unusual tyre noise; lucky I have a good hearing :)-we are off to our virgin KImberley trip in two weeks time.

Joseph
AnswerID: 112993

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:48

Thursday, May 26, 2005 at 12:48
I had a lot of road noise start to come through the back of the surf, very tyre sounding noise however, didn't sound like wheel bearing or diff. I got the rear wheels balanced a (they were out terribly) but still didn't get rid of the noise...

Turns out by over filling the back of the car with camping gear all the time, I've bent the tailgate arm slightly so it wasn't sealing fully and therefore letting the road noise in. I dicovered this by the fact that when we were loaded up on a trip I couldn't here it, but when we were empty around town it was very loud.

I tired to adjust the tail gate but it was nearly impossible, so I just run some silicone around the opposite side to the seal so when you closed the tail gate it had something to push up against. Worked an absolute treat.
The door wasn't even visbibly out, but it must have just been enough to stop the seals from touching hard enough...
AnswerID: 112996

Reply By: figtree - Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:13

Tuesday, May 31, 2005 at 20:13
Just a follow-up to this thread:
THe diff bearing and pinion gears had to be changed, at total cost of $900. I was told they were badly damaged. This again makes me think; how come there was just a faint noise heard. If it wasn't for the unusual faint "bumps" just before stopping I would be certain it was tyres. It is of a concern that such a noise could not possibly be heard driving off the tar and I wouldn' have a clue I have a major problem.....I wonder if anyone had a similar experience?

Joseph
AnswerID: 113788

Sponsored Links